Thread: Conversion Possibilities

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Conversion Possibilities

I know there are many conversion / engine swap possibilites for the 6.5td, including the splayed main, et al setup RJ has. What are the plusses and minuses of each (Duramax, Schoolcraft and Cummins)? I am thinking conversion and maintenance costs, reasonable and usable power possibilities and fuel consumption and reasonable power levels.

Anyone have any thoughts?
    Jeffrey Todd
    _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _
    '96 6.5TD GMC Suburban 2500 4x4 - 300,000 miles, JK remote FSD, Dual Thermostats

It does depend some. What are your fabrication skills? Do you have a secondardy vehicle to drive during the conversion?

The quickest and easiest is a new AMG drop in.
    99 K2500 GMC Ext Cab, 6.5TD, Heath ECM reflash, TDC Offset -1.80, Bumped Optic, FSD Isolator, Turbo Master, KD 3.5" Exhaust, 4.10s and 33x11.50, Intercooler is next.
    98 Burb 350 1/2T/4l60/246/10Bolts - Wifes Ride
    80 Olds Cutlass 6.2/Studded/700R4/12Bolt 3.30s/IP=4544 Juiced by JK/Best MPG=30
    79 Olds Cutlass, 410ci/700R4 - Currently Restoring
    1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo, currently 12PSI max boost
    39 Chevy Rat Rod
    2004 Sportsman 600
    2002 Scrambler 500
    2007 Sportsman 90
    2003 Kazuma 50
    2001 XR50
    1990 Murry 46"
    43 Total pistons!
    Email= Dr.Diesel@gmail.com WA9SDJ

I am just brainstorming, and not planning on a swap at this time. Just curious to the possibilities. For arguments sake, assume adequate fab skills and plenty of time.
    Jeffrey Todd
    _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _
    '96 6.5TD GMC Suburban 2500 4x4 - 300,000 miles, JK remote FSD, Dual Thermostats

My take is that the indirect-injection (prechamber) engines are obsolete because the direct injection engines use less fuel-per-mile, and are easier on lube oil. But their cost includes an additional $8-12K surcharge merely for the engine's fuel system , tuff to recover.

The D-Max is a larger-output powerplant, requiring a larger-capacity transmixer, as a unit.

The Cummins is available in either species (direct/indirect) .

The 6.5 has substantial longevity issues in both block and head areas. The Cummins is superior here, but also occassionaly lose heads if not operated within some range of design limits.

Cummins requires major body lift, 6.5 doesn't....don't know about DMax.
    tom m
    '95 6.5td 4L80E 3500/srw p/u

Arrow

The Optimizer 6500, as AMG now calls the 6.5L diesel, is essentially a new engine when compared to what it was in the 90's, brought about primarily by changes in head/block metallurgical composition and structural design, manufacturing processes and final assembly. And, there are yet more design changes in the offing that could totally revolutionize thinking about what the 6.5 is now and what it could be.

The high-end turbocharged AMG 6500 is currently rated for 205 hp & 440 lb-ft of torque, and is advertised as having a 250,000 mile durability rating, capable of meeting the 2007 EPA 50-state regs and has the lowest dollar per hp of any commercially produced diesel engine suitable for use in pickup trucks and SUV's.

If anyone is interested, I could work something up that discusses the original question posed in this thread. I've seen several GM/Cummins conversions, ridden in a couple, and I know a good bit about Duramax conversions....

Jim

The reason I originally brought it up are a couple of reasons. On this board and others various swaps are discussed and undertaken, and I am curious why one swap is chosen over another. Both the D-max and Cummins require significant fab and donor electronics, so neither are easy, but the power and efficencies seem to be significantly higher than the best possible from a 6.5.
    If anyone is interested, I could work something up that discusses the original question posed in this thread. I've seen several GM/Cummins conversions, ridden in a couple, and I know a good bit about Duramax conversions
    If you can easily give the cliff-notes version, that would be fine for me.

Regarding the body lift, would a redesigned hood accomodate a cummins or are there other engine to body interference issues requiring the lift?

Thanks for the input.
    Jeffrey Todd
    _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _

Quote Originally Posted by More Power
    ...If anyone is interested, I could work something up that discusses the original question posed in this thread. I've seen several GM/Cummins conversions, ridden in a couple, and I know a good bit about Duramax conversions....
    I wouldn't mind reading about a Optimizer 6.5 conversion to an older pickup, like say a '55 or '66 Chev. Maybe do an article on all of them (engines I mean), stuff like that is always good reading and motivation for creativity. My $.02 worth.
    JP
    Jeff

"But officer, I ain't Speedin', I'm just flyin' low"

2001 Silverado 3500 Dually LS Ext Cab, 6.6L Diesel, Banks Stinger Kit, 4" Exhaust, VR Straps, Bilstein shocks, 255/85/16 BFG KM2s
    2004 Suburban 2500 LT 6.0L 4x4, Bilstein Shocks, Federico front/rear sway bars
    1996 Caprice 5.7L LT1, B4U Suspension, KYB shocks & Hotchkis sway bars, BMR RCA - alas I miss ya.
    2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L