Thread: Tytd diesel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tytd diesel

Hi question is where do i tap i to install a boost gauge

Arrow

Welcome to the Forums.

For what vehicle/engine?

Once answered, I'll move this thread to the appropriate forum.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Tytd

Sorry it's a 2003 chevy with a duramax eng LB7

Arrow

OK. You have a couple options. Simple and less accurate, or more involved and more accurate.

The simple way is to just Tee into the wastegate control line from the turbo compressor housing (follow the short hose from the WG pod). Easy to access, no tooling (except installing a tee into the rubber hose), no drilling, no wrenching. However, it taps right off the compressor, so it's subject dynamic fluctuations and not a real representative of what's actually happening at the intake.

The other (correct) way is drill and tap the intake pipe, adjacent to the intake heat element boss, clear of the end of the CAC hose connection. If you remove the intake heater and replace it with a plug, the plug can be tapped (I think Kennedy sold such an item, already tapped). Once the CAC hose is removed, I use a plug in the pipe (made from a spray can cap, duct taped in place) with a hole to accept an shop air nozzle. Then, drill and tap with it under pressure so no shavings stay in the intake pipe. Or, you could remove the pipe and drill/tap it off the engine. You'll need a 1/4" tap if using a bushing, or 1/8" if threading the line coupler direct into the pipe.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Tytd diesel

Thanks I'm going to go with the second option

One of my older running Tech Tips:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/dmaxguages.cfm
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!