Thread: Manual Trans Conversion for 6.2 and 6.5

Hello,

I have an 82 6.2 1/2 ton Pickup with a neew 6.5 in it. It is automatic and I would like to change it to a manual transmission. Has anyone out ther done this. Any advice apreciated.

I also have an 85 one ton 6.2 Pickup that I would like to do the same to.

Thanks
    -chris
    -chris

NH2112 Guest

I swapped from a 700R4 to an SM465, and it was actually a very straightforward swap. You'll need to get a clutch/brake pedal bracket, and if it doesn't come from a hydroboost-equipped truck you'll need to make a couple small modifications to it - it was about 4 years ago that I did mine so I can't remember if I had to knock 2 studs out of the bracket or put 2 studs in. Then it's just a matter of cutting the hole in the floor for the shifter and whatever hole(s) you'll need for the clutch linkage or clutch master cylinder pushrod. My 85 had all these marked, which made it a lot easier. The crossmember was the same, and since I got both the tranny and transfer case from the donor vehicle I didn't have to look for adapters.

what was in front of your manual transmission (engine) before you put it behind the 6.2. I was under the understanding that only certain bell housings fit the 6.2

alaskaflyer

NH2112 Guest

The donor truck was an 87 K20 with EFI 350.

that helps a lot I'm working with a 78 k35 4x4(same set up}that I picked up for 800.00. And I'm getting to put an 82 6.2 in it.