Thread: Cummins 5.9 in a Chevy

Post Cummins 5.9 in a Chevy

Does anybody have any experience with transplanting a Cummins into a Chevy? Obviously motor mounts would have to be re-welded, but what about things like bolting up a 4L80?

On another note, does anybody know of an engine builder like Peninsular http://www.peninsulardiesel.com/ that builds custom HP Cummins engines.

Lightbulb

It pains me to tell you this, but there is a whole section of www.turbodieselregister.com dedicated to swaping Cummins engines into things that did not come with them.

Quite a few people have descided they don't have enough headaches in life and tried to shoehorn those tractor motors into places where they don't belong. If you're serious you'll probably want to subscribe.

On edit: Also see this link http://cgi2.x-pointcgi.com/~dieselr...ankenChevy.html

Pay particular attention to the last statement on the page in the link.

------------------
    Waiting for...2002 GMC 2500HD CC D/ZF SB Summit/Graphite 2WD
    Ordered 7/23/01 TPW 11/05/01 CANCELLED 12/13/01 (Day 153).
    Orderred Again 1/3/02...Fire Red/Graphite this time.
    As of 2/5/02 TPW = 2/11/02. Shipped 2/12/02

Driving 1991 GMC Sierra 1500 V6 5sp 2WD LB 175,000 miles 22-25 MPG
    Will be sleeping outside by March 1.

[This message has been edited by Colorado Kid (edited 02-14-2002).]

Colorado Kid,

Thanks for the info.

I'm planning to do a "chassis-up" on my 83' K20 suburban...eventually...and it's a tossup between a Duramax and a Cummins.

[This message has been edited by Shaun (edited 02-14-2002).]

a toss up?

can you even GET dmax? if they can't make enuf of them to sell in their trucks, or enuf to put one in a 'burb, how will you get your hands on one?

you should consider a 4bt in your 'burb. they can be built to put out 160 hp/440 ftlbs without sacrificing much in the way of milage and reliability.

here is some info:

"Hello and thanks for the inquiry. We sell complete cut-out 4cyl Cummins engines with a sm465 (non-OD) trans for $2750 plus freight. The engine will be complete with fuel system, turbo, exhaust down pipe, alternator, starter, power steering pump, engine mounts, adapter plate, clutch & press plate, flywheel, and transmission etc.... The used engines carry a 90 day parts
    warranty. I hope this information has bben helpful, but if you have other questions please feel free to ask and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. I look forward to helping you. Also, if you'll give me your address I'll get a shipping rate quote for you.
    Thanks,
    Jamie Avant
    The Diesel Depot
    800-553-8192"

FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Exclamation

Hey guys,
    I've seen a site somewhere where it actually shows a 5.9 ISB in a C/K 3500, old body styled, they definitely had to make new motor mounts, and move the radiator about 2-3 inches forward. Looked great, but it was crammed in there cause the 6 bangers so long. Also another interesting thing I've seen a CAT crate motor in a 1500 ext cab z71 before too, 7.2 liters, you can look it up a Caterpillar.com. Now how that guy accomplished that feat is beyond me. Sounds NICE though.
    01 F350SRW, CC, 4x4 Lariat, lots of goodies under the hood, 5\" from the turbo back<p>03 Chevy 2500HD, 02 Front End replacement, cc, 4x4 LT D/A, 3\" Full Throttle Suspension Torsion bar keys, 3500 3 stagers in the rear, truck sits a full 4\" higher, AFE Intake, 5\" Stainless Straight Pipe<br />On Order: Hot Juice, Diesel Dynamics Stage III Injectors, and haven\'t decided which 35\" tires and what wheels to add(need high load rating) Any ideas???

Look up the engine that was in it at least, sorry no pics of the truck, its on the web somewhere: Heres the link:

http://www.caterpillar.com/products/...k_engines.html
    01 F350SRW, CC, 4x4 Lariat, lots of goodies under the hood, 5\" from the turbo back<p>03 Chevy 2500HD, 02 Front End replacement, cc, 4x4 LT D/A, 3\" Full Throttle Suspension Torsion bar keys, 3500 3 stagers in the rear, truck sits a full 4\" higher, AFE Intake, 5\" Stainless Straight Pipe<br />On Order: Hot Juice, Diesel Dynamics Stage III Injectors, and haven\'t decided which 35\" tires and what wheels to add(need high load rating) Any ideas???

How about this one, an 8.3L Cummins in a Ford. Talk about shoehorning it in.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...threadid=36258
    90 3/4 Ton 4X4 6.2L N/A diesel Suburban w/143K miles.<p>97 2500 CC/LB 4X4, 5spd, TST #10 Plate w/AFC Medium spring, 60 Gal. Aerotank, Geno\'s Combo Gage, Mag-Hytec Dana 80 cover, Espar Heater, w/176K miles.

There was a guy in Montana who did this. Lots of work, and at the end of the day, there wasn't enough room for the fan. (6B) I don't know if he ran into cooling problems, but I suspect he did. More Power! knows the person and could probably put you in contact with him.

Also, there used to be a place in Great Falls, Mt. that did this. I could try and find out who it is if interested.

I myself don't see the payoff for this kind of project. It is really cool, but very expensive and labor intensive. I think you would have better luck putting it into a Ford. At least you should have room for the fan. Also, the 5 speed transmission works a lot better. Automatic may be just too much effort.

Additive