Thread: Help Duramax Conversion

Default Help Duramax Conversion

Alright guys my dream truck is my 1985 chevy 1 ton dually with a 6.2 diesel to have a duramax with a allison. Now i sold my very first car i ever owned to fund the project. I have beening trying to find some way of adapting my existing 205 tcase to the allison but i had no luck. Is it eaiser to get a ford dana 60 and just switch my front axle and use the tcase that is already behind the allison. Now with wiring im completly lost, i plan on buying a complete truck with everything. I found a 04 duramax 4x4 with 128k and its hit in the front but i runs for 5,500 o.bo. what do you guys thinks. any advice would be great, thanks Andrew

Arrow

Adapting transfer cases would be a good question for someone all-knowing on things drivetrain. For a Duramax/Allison conversion for the 80's trucks, the following article might help. Jim

1987 Chevy C30
    Duramax Diesel Conversion - In Progress
    Bringing new life to an older truck is more than just a way to save a ton of money. A surprising number of members keep the same vehicle for decades, and want to do all they can to keep it on the road. Converting the drivetrain to Duramax/Allison power has become a popular upgrade for the GM fans, which increases the vehicle's capability. Member Kean Clark is currently working his way through a 1987 Chevy C30 restoration and Duramax conversion project, and we wanted to share his progress with the GM community.

ADVANCE ADAPTERS can adapt a 205 to the ALLISON. Here's one adapted to an ALLISON with there parts http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=633965&page=2 but the issue comes in with the speed sensor and proper shifting in 4 low. As for the engine, there is a company out there that will make the ECM work stand alone with no other inputs and simply 5 wires to hook-up, but you lose all of the DIC features and guage cluster.

What's the name of the place that makes the ecu standalone

Try MDE MCSchwarz Diesel Engine. Volker should be able to help you.
    1993 K3500 - Peninsular 18:1 engine, marine injectors, high capacity cooling, AL Core Radiator, 3" DP and 4" exhaust, ISSPRO Gauges, Girdle, AMSOIL Dual Oil Filter System, 1997 Air Filter(trashed the K&N), 395K on Body, 165k on engine.
    1997 GMC Savana - 6.5 TD
    1966 CJ5 - V6 Gas - highly modified
    1967 Jeepster - Stock
    1986 Jeep CJ7 - Stock
    1993 Grand Cherokee - 6.2 diesel
    2007 Grand Cherokee - 3.0 diesel

was that last post about the ecu I don't want to go calling them and look like a dumbass

He won't know you anyway, but yes. He also does some stuff with ECUs, like this salt flats racer.
    1993 K3500 - Peninsular 18:1 engine, marine injectors, high capacity cooling, AL Core Radiator, 3" DP and 4" exhaust, ISSPRO Gauges, Girdle, AMSOIL Dual Oil Filter System, 1997 Air Filter(trashed the K&N), 395K on Body, 165k on engine.
    1997 GMC Savana - 6.5 TD
    1966 CJ5 - V6 Gas - highly modified
    1967 Jeepster - Stock
    1986 Jeep CJ7 - Stock
    1993 Grand Cherokee - 6.2 diesel
    2007 Grand Cherokee - 3.0 diesel

what about going with a 2x4 tranny with a divoriced t case,just an idea

need some help mounting fuel tank 2003 into 1996