Thread: Does this 6.2 sound right

Default Does this 6.2 sound right

I hope this works ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEqwMvdwVog

I'm looking at this 1985 Suburban with a 6.2 diesel.
    Does this sound OK to those of you with experienced ears?

The engine is not original but is said to be a Cummins 6.2 harvested from a Humvee (seller said that's 2nd hand info he can't document).

Sure appreciate any help.

Thanks - David

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

It sounds horrible for a Cummins 6.2!

Sounds normal for a Detroit 6.2, though. Also look for leaks, tail pipe smoke on a cold start, and crank case blow-by (idle with oil filler cap off). Lots of good info on what to check, in the stickies at the top of the 6.2, 6.5, and 6.2/6.5 Tech forums.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I’d say anyone trying to sell a vehicle with a “Cummins 6.2 harvested from a Humvee” should be treated with a high level of suspicion…
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Looks like a GM 6.2 V8 and sounds pretty good.

You tube videos can't give a 100% accurate sound, but it does not sound bad.

Where did the Cummins thing come from ????
    The Military HMMWV has never been equipped with a cummins.

As mentioned.

Look for excess blowby out the oil fill.
    Major oil leaks from the engine.

With the engine warm, be sure there is not any antifreeze being blown over the radiator overflow (Jug) and onto the inner fender.

Check upper radiator hose when engine is warming up, if it gets really hard it is a sign of a head gasket leak.

Oil pressure hot ????

About 20 psi hot at idle is normal with 45-50 at 1500 RPM or so.

Check the oil on the dip stick, it should be black.
    If the oil is grey or real goopy it might have coolant in it.

Cold start up...
    After one glow cycle (lamp on then off) the engine should start up with minimal smoke from the tail pipes.

A small amount of white/blue smoke is not bad, but smoking that lasts more than a few seconds after the engine starts can be issues with glow plugs, injectors or ?????

A cold start will tell you a lot about the engines systems.

Good luck
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

As best I could it seemed to check out so I now own that 1985 (turns out it's a 1986) Suburban w/6.2L diesel.

It made the 2 hour trip home with no troubles.

Is there a good basic maintenance tutorial somewhere, please?

I can guess my way through it but need something to point our son at so he can learn.

I did have him add water to the cooling system and showed him the oil dipstick.

What tire pressures do you run?

There's air levelers in the back. I think he said they were at 80lbs but it ran better
    at 80lbs?

He seems to do best with YouTube paint-by-numbers instructions ... modern generation and all that ...

ALSO: Is there a Suburban forum I should subscribe to which is likely to have helpful info. re.
    window gaskets, a replacement passenger window, cosmetic parts, and good mods?

Thanks - David
    Last edited by handygeek; 01-18-2017 at 20:58.

All the standard automotive maintenance tech applies.

The differences for the diesel are really minimal.

Use a good diesel rated 15-40 oil in the engine (Delo 400 15w-40, Rotella T 15w-40) are a couple that will serve you well.

Fuel filter changes are a bit more tricky than a standard gasser as you must bleed all the air out of the system prior to a restart.

On the 6.2 this is easily done by disconnecting the large PINK WIRE on the injection pump and then cranking the engine with the bleed valve on the filter open.

Once the new filter is full of fuel (close bleed valve ) the pink wire can be connected and the engine restarted.

Failure to follow this plan will air lock the system and make a little more work for you.

Glow plugs are a straight forward thing.

Use a good plug like the DELCO 60G

Pretty much everything else is just standard stuff.

Tire pressure will be marked on the tire and may vary depending on the load range.

Enjoy the Burb
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Best 6.2L sources are these two books:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/62book.htm

http://www.thedieselpage.com/62bookii.htm

Money WELL spent.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

OK, have had it for a few weeks & so far so good ...

It goes to a farmer-recommended diesel shop on Tuesday for a once-over and safety check.

Meanwhile I'm making a list ... some dials are bouncing, belt screeching when I accelerate (I may spray with CRC Belt Conditioner later today), rear heater is unnecessary but I could use a 12vdc power outlet back there (not sure if I can bypass heater controls to accomplish that), need to replace all of the door seals, and ...

QUESTION: The tires do not appear to be original, based on what info I find online. 30x9.50R15LT 6PR-140 Would these be on original rims? Any concerns?

Thanks - David

I forgot to include this ...

Is this a good kit to replace all of the door seals (4 passenger, 2 rear cargo)?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...IKG1008A8.html

Also, is this a good choice for the windows ($30. each for 4 - ouch)?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...CNC451951.html