Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2000 6.5td won't start but fires

Default 2000 6.5td won't start but fires

I'm new to this forum I'll discribe as clearly my problem with my truck it a 2000 GMC savanna 3500 turbo diesel 6.5
    I bought this truck with the tank removed and the sending unit missing I put a new fuel pump on the rail and because I didn't have a tank I got a clear 1 gallon container put 2 holes in the cap and ran the fuel and return line in the container and after a few try's it started and ran fine !!!
    the next day I tried starting it again and sure it fired right up !!!
    the day after I though I'd try it again and it fired but then stalled did this 5-6 times them fired up and ran ?
    today I tried again fired like it wanted to start then nothing tried again fired then nothing now it won't fire at all I also noticed it has a manifold exhaust leak and puffs smoke from there every time it fires thanks for any help
    PS I hear the new pump it runs for about 10 seconds I did notice that it does click on and off 3 times ??? I can't recall it doing this on my first time starting

Welcome to TDP

Have you made sure you don't have trapped air in the fuel filter?

What shape are your batteries in? Has to reach 100 rpm cranking before computer will let engine have fuel.

Fuel shut off solenoid working? Hear click or feel it click when key is turned off and on
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Hello thanks for replying
    When I first bought the truck it had 2 new battery's in it though flat I did recharge them and it does crank over quite fast
    How do I know it has air trapped in the fuel filter ?
    I hear clicking every time the " wait to start " light comes on ?
    It's gone from starting first crank to nothing last night
    Fuel problem?

Turn the ignition on so the fuel pump comes on
    open the bleed screw and see if you have clear fuel coming out the water drain hose.
    you can also insert clear fuel line on the return line to see if you have air bubbles in the return fuel

once you reach minimum number of posts you will have access to the search function
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Thank I just find it odd that it ran awesome but slowly every time I started it it go worse and worse till the point it won't even cough and try to start !!

Is there a reason you keep “trying” it as opposed to installing a tank and connecting things up properly? Obviously, the setup with a makeshift container of fuel is not optimal.

As 5150 notes, battery condition is an issue. Both the starter and the glow plugs put quite a drain on things. Without actually running the engine long enough to recharge the batteries, they’ll wear down in short order.

The clicking during the wait to start is most likely the glow plugs you’re hearing. If it is frequent clicking, the batteries may be worn down enough to not hold the solenoid. Rapid clicking - or chattering - could be a bad glow plug solenoid.

I’d put the batteries back on the charger and then see how it starts. If you’re back to better starting, low batteries was likely the culprit. Then I’d set about getting things fixed up so you can drive it rather than just “try” it.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

The reason is I'm removing the box and extending the frame 4 ft
    I'm building a cab back for it now I need to move it into my back yard where I'm leveling Ann area to set my box on I don't wanna get out there and have it break down that's the reason for not installing the tank yet it right where I'm extend g the frame and also I haven't bought the new pickup yet

Ok, as I said, the repeated “trying” is likely draining the batteries. Charge them back up and see how it does then.
    Diesel Page Member #2423

So today I undone the filter shaped thing under the truck while the ignistion on no water just diesel cam out pretty fast I'll charge up the battery's buying a new charger tomorrow on had a tender on it how do I get to the pmd in a cutaway / van could this of failed also where would he t handle for the primer be located ?

Howdy
    Sounds like you might have an aftermarket fuel filter system.
    Can you send us some pictures of the filter and fuel pump?
    if it is factory then there will be no manual fuel priming.
    The pmd(if it is factory) will located on the injection pump(IP) in the intake valley.
    It is a PITA on a regular truck and on your van will be a REAL pita.
    Most of the time owners will leave the original in place and just use an extension cable to remount a new PMD. If this has been done to your truck, just follow the wires from the IP. Its possible that it could be the PMD, but by your description, I would look at the fuel system first.
    When it gets good and charged up, if it still doesn't start, let us know if there is smoke from the tail pipe when you are turning it over.
    1996 Chvy 3500 CCDWLB 6.5 Heathed, NO vac, marine injctrs, ARB bumper, BIG pipe, 3" lift, bright lights, bypass oil system.
    1986 Chvy 6.2 M1009 blazer RAM AIR, Headers, Custom interior
    2001 Chinook RV, V10 gas
    1974 John Deere 1530 diesel tractor
    1993 John Deere 455 Diesel lawn mower
    1967 GTO, 1989 Honda Transalp
    2009 VW Jetta TDI, flashed and piped, 6speed, fun car!
    1998 6.5 suburban, stock, daughter's
    1993 6.5 3500 CCSWLB GM8, Heathed, big exhaust, gauges, Son's

1984 6.2 ATS turbo 3500, SCDWLB - Son's
    3 kids, 1 wife, 1 dog
    Gunsmith, Tactics Instructor, Fabricator USMC 87-93 Semper Fi!

My fist thought is the PMD. I have had then go out in a similar fashion.
    1995 Chev 4X4 1500 Suburban 6.5 TD,Phazer Gear Kit from JK, High Capacity Water Pump Kit from JK. Special Calibration fan clutch W/8 blade fan from JK
    1995 Chev 4X4 2500 Suburban 6.5 TD>>SOL-D (parts car)
    1999 Chev 4X4 2500 Suburban 454 "Gas Hog" with Hiniker C-Plow

Quote Originally Posted by fiano View Post
    So today I undone the filter shaped thing under the truck while the ignistion on no water just diesel cam out pretty fast
    On the pickups, the filter is located at the back of the engine valley. Not sure about the vans. As DvlDog says, you could have an aftermarket filter system.

PMDs are always suspect, but that you had it running but over time had issues I’d be more inclined to verify the battery condition first.
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Quote Originally Posted by trbankii View Post
    On the pickups, the filter is located at the back of the engine valley. Not sure about the vans. As DvlDog says, you could have an aftermarket filter system.

PMDs are always suspect, but that you had it running but over time had issues I’d be more inclined to verify the battery condition first.
    she's running !!! checked the filter the primer up on the engine had a little air charged the battery and fired to life !! Now that PMD is located deep in there can I just unplug it and extend the wires to the cab area or the front ? I can't even see the connection?

I figured it was a battery issue.

You can get an extension harness from places like Kennedy Diesel: http://www.kennedydiesel.com/categor...bCategory2=162
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Went out this morning to start it up and again so t start turning over fast but won't fire I don't get it!!

When I first bought the truck it had 2 new battery's in it though flat I did recharge them and it does crank over quite fast
    Went out this morning to start it up and again so t start turning over fast but won't fire I don't get it!!
    Likely the batteries aren’t in good enough shape. As I say, starting it repeatedly without allowing it to run long enough to recharge is going to wear them down. With the high compression and glow cycles, a diesel takes quite a bit out of a set of batteries each time it starts. If the batteries aren’t up to snuff, it’s going to kill them quickly.

The other issue is battery connections. As the connections corrode - and the cables themselves deteriorate - you get less juice to where it is needed.
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Not just the battery end of the cables but the other end too. Pickups had a cluster of ground connections on the back of the right (passenger) head, These to are prone to corroding. A good cleaning and coat with dielectric grease.

Another place to check is all your weather connectors. The electric plug connections. On my 94 I opened them and spayed with electrical contact cleaner then dielectric grease and never had any problems with them.
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Check it for air again. You may have a leak somewhere letting air back in.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by Dvldog8793 View Post
    Howdy
    Sounds like you might have an aftermarket fuel filter system.
    Can you send us some pictures of the filter and fuel pump?
    if it is factory then there will be no manual fuel priming.
    The pmd(if it is factory) will located on the injection pump(IP) in the intake valley.
    It is a PITA on a regular truck and on your van will be a REAL pita.
    Most of the time owners will leave the original in place and just use an extension cable to remount a new PMD. If this has been done to your truck, just follow the wires from the IP. Its possible that it could be the PMD, but by your description, I would look at the fuel system first.
    When it gets good and charged up, if it still doesn't start, let us know if there is smoke from the tail pipe when you are turning it over.
    I primed in at the engine compartment near the oil filler it has a cap you take odd and like a true valve I press that

Try putting the charger on the battery and then try starting it. I’m almost going to guarantee that will get it running - the batteries are just far enough gone that you don’t quite have the oomph required.
    Diesel Page Member #2423