Thread: 2002 lb7 no fuel to the filter.

Default 2002 lb7 no fuel to the filter.

Hey guys, first time posting, well it's the first time I've had a problem. I was driving last night, and boom truck shuts off. I manage to get it off the freeway. I think maybe I finally ran it out of fuel, as I was heading to the station. Well that wasn't it. If I prime the filter it will start and run about 10-15 seconds, Then it dies. I check the prime on the filter, and no pressure. I prime it again, after cranking about 10 seconds(off and on) it will start and run about 10-15 seconds and die. Everything I read online says there is no pre-filter pump. But if my injection pump was bad it wouldn't fire, correct?
    Thanks in advance.

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

Correct, it does not have a fuel lift pump. The entire fuel system (stock) is suction from the tank to the engine-driven pump. The primer on the filter will normally be "soft". If you pump it enough, it will harden and push fuel to the pump. The pump is not self-priming, so this process is necessary. If the high pressure pump was bad, it would not do what it's doing now.

Did you add fuel, then have this happen?

Otherwise, if you did this and hadn't yet added fuel..... It's normal. This is exactly what happens when you run 'er dry..... Pump... run... die... pump... run... die... (or so I've heard)
    Actually, I ran out, once. I was 6 miles from the fuel station (in Egypt, of course), but I made it, 1/4 mile at a time. If you pump it enough, it will load up the fuel lines for about a 1/4 mile run (much less if it's uphill, more if it's downhill), if you're quick and the timing is right. When you come to a stop, the fuel settles in the tank and it picks up less air. Once running, the fuel return keeps it stirred up, allowing a lot of air, until it gets too much and quits.

Now, if you did add fuel, and it doesn't continue to run, you may have to repeat this process a few (dozen) times, and it may take a LOT of pumping to get the system bled. When I change both of my filters (OEM + Mega filter, and I don't pre-fill), it will take more than 300 pumps to fill them. I've been doing this way since it was new in 2000. A fuel lift pump is on my short to-do list, for this and other reasons. The OEM fuel system tolerates a lot of air, but once it loses prime completely, it takes a lot of work to get it back. Once the filter is full, it doesn't take too much pumping, so do that first.

Loosen or remove the fuel filler cap. Remove the bleeder screw on the filter housing (carefully, it's plastic) and pump until it pushes out fuel. Replace the screw (carefully, it's plastic, but it is O-ring sealed, so not too tight), and pump it until you can't. Tighten fuel filler cap. It should start and run, but may flutter a bit until all the air is out. If it starts and dies, repeat bleeding once more (it shouldn't take much). If it still runs then dies, something else is wrong.

If it continues to run and die, after you've added fuel and bled it, you may have an issue with the filter element seal. If the filter was removed for any reason, it may not have sealed properly. A leaky seal will pull in air while the engine is running.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks for the info/reply. Funny thing, I looked at the fuel gauge and was like, I got 4 miles, I can make it. Then not 2 seconds later, dead. So yes this was after adding fuel. I posted this. Then I went back out to move the truck (it was almost sticking out of my driveway due to a inexperienced tow driver.) And I pumped it again, Started it, moved it up, and it stayed on. I let it idle for a few minutes, rev'd it to see if I could use the last bit of fuel. It stayed on still. So gonna top it off and hope I make it to work in the morning. The positive, it was a cheap fix, I got 2 new batteries (needed replaced anyway) and found this site. So thank you!

Arrow

You're welcome. Sometimes, it's only that simple. The rest of the time, well, we're here for that. Glad you got it worked out. Don't be a stranger.

And, to echo my Grandmother several decades ago, the top half of the tank is the same size as the bottom half. Sage advice, methinks.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Yeah but the first quarter gets me 150 miles, the next 3/4 also gets me 150 miles.