Thread: Cracked 6.5L GEP/AM General Block

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks! I have a pretty full dance card tomorrow, but will try to get pix of the casting numbers.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

Quote Originally Posted by rustyk View Post
    Thanks! I have a pretty full dance card tomorrow, but will try to get pix of the casting numbers.
    While I can see the casting, I can't get a good reading - gonna take making a tool to clean off the numbers. I'm on the road now, until 3/10...
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

I am finally done with AM General/GEP. They said to me today-from a rep at GEP(4/2/08) and i quote" I dont care about your engine, even if we built it, you need to go back to the origional vendor. This conversation is over." So who wants pics? Info, whatever...................I'm selling out now.......... Their position is to sell a engine to anybody(dealers) with out ANY KIND OF WARRANTY!!!!!!! The dealer has to provide their OWN warranty on the engine THEY SELL> that they BUY FROM GEP! Thats how AM GENERAL/GEP does bussiness!!!!!!!!!!!! They do not honor any of there products. Build junk, sell it and forget it. I wish I could have a bussiness with "no liabilities" My vendor that I bought the engine from has gone thru loops and over hurdles and around anda around with GEP and about the block I have cracked. Ive been working on this issue since OCTOBER 2007 and here is the Awnser folks. GEP sells all of their engines out of their factory WITH NO WARRANTY. Ther vendors/buyers make there own warrantys after they buy the engines from GEP, reguardless if it blows up on start up, oil pump falure, bad pistion, any or all other falures, they CLAIM NO RESPONSIBILITY after they sell it, IT IS DONE (This is how your main GM Parts division gets there engines also) My advise, by from GM dealer, pay the price and get the 3yr warrany. #$%k the lowballers. Man am I pissed. Anyone have a good non GEP block for sale? I fixed this truck because I heard how great the optomizer 6500 was supposed to be and truthfully heard about all of the block improvements and thought it was the ticket to give life to this daily driver again! Or who wants to buy a cherry 1992 K2500 4x4 reg cab with a BAD ENGINE! I stuck 8,000.00 into this truck 2 years ago cause it was worth fixing(it is that nice) now it is a piece of crap

This is why it's important to deal with a reliable vendor who will go the extra mile to satisfy his customers. Ultimately, it is the vendor who must solicit help from AMG, or the vendor provides a replacement himself. You should not have to deal with the manufacturer.

I know of at least one authorized AMG vendor who works with AMG regarding warranty.

Jim

Default block

If your interested I may have block and heads "f" type
    98 c/c l/b 4x4 dually 6.5td i/c,boost cntrl,boch h/f,4in straight ex,boost/pyro guages &h/f air

Arrow

This really isn't all that surprising. AMG/GEP are doing us a favor, for lack of a better term. They were contracted to supply military use engines. They have been allowed by the military contractor to sell surplus to the public. The military doesn't get a warranty from the mfg. They are their own warranty dept. If you bought a new H-1, would you expect warranty service from the mfg? They don't offer it to the primary contracted buyer, why would they offer it to you? You would have to deal with the seller. The new engines are superior to previous engines, but there will still be failures. It's the nature of the beast. It's unfortunate you got one, but your problem lies with the vendor/supplier, not the manufacturer. In the end, too many complaints by consumers in regards to their place of purchase may cause AMG/GEP to stop selling outside their contracts. That way, there would be no more consumer complaints about failed product. But at the same time, there won't be any consumer product to complain about.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Ok all understandable, but do you like your old pickup/vechile so much you are willing to spend 6500.00+labor every couple of years to run 20,000 miles on a NEW engine? Gee, dosent seem economical to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    This really isn't all that surprising. AMG/GEP are doing us a favor, for lack of a better term. They were contracted to supply military use engines. They have been allowed by the military contractor to sell surplus to the public. The military doesn't get a warranty from the mfg. They are their own warranty dept. If you bought a new H-1, would you expect warranty service from the mfg? They don't offer it to the primary contracted buyer, why would they offer it to you? You would have to deal with the seller. The new engines are superior to previous engines, but there will still be failures. It's the nature of the beast. It's unfortunate you got one, but your problem lies with the vendor/supplier, not the manufacturer. In the end, too many complaints by consumers in regards to their place of purchase may cause AMG/GEP to stop selling outside their contracts. That way, there would be no more consumer complaints about failed product. But at the same time, there won't be any consumer product to complain about.
    I'm sorry, but this argument is absurd.