Thread: Lug nut torque

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anybody know the torque on the lug nuts. 2500HD if that matters. Thanks
    2002 2500HD D/A LT SB CREW CAB CHARCOAL GREY/GRAPHITE,<br />LOADED EXCEPT AUTO CLIMATE CONTROL. J&J RUNNING BOARDS<br />PARAGON BED COVER, FUMOTO VALVE, CAB LIGHTS, TAILGATE LOCK, STEREO UPGRADES, DAKOTA DIGITAL GUAGES INSTALLED OVERHEAD.<br />69 BRONCO<br />76 BRONCO<br />77 BRONCO<br />BLOWN 98 GRAND PRIX

I just found a previous thread that stated 140ft pounds. I'll go with that.
    2002 2500HD D/A LT SB CREW CAB CHARCOAL GREY/GRAPHITE,<br />LOADED EXCEPT AUTO CLIMATE CONTROL. J&J RUNNING BOARDS<br />PARAGON BED COVER, FUMOTO VALVE, CAB LIGHTS, TAILGATE LOCK, STEREO UPGRADES, DAKOTA DIGITAL GUAGES INSTALLED OVERHEAD.<br />69 BRONCO<br />76 BRONCO<br />77 BRONCO<br />BLOWN 98 GRAND PRIX

It is in the owners manual as 140ft/lbs. Looked Sunday.

Craig M Guest

Ok I will ask the simple question. How long a wrench to get 140#ft of torque on the lug nuts.

It isn't that hard. My wrench happens to be about 2.5' It is just a firm pull. Would probably be hard with a 1' long ratchet. With the truck completely on the ground, the tires slipped a little in the process of torquing.

Try to stay with-in 140-150 ft lbs. Without enough TQ the lugnut can warble and ruin your rim. However, too much TQ can warp your rotors, after a few heat cycles. Wheel studs can "pop" or "snap off" under a heavy load or wicked power. Just get a TQ wrench and wring'em up to just over 140lbs and you'll be fine. A good TQ wrench will probably outlast many trucks.
    -------- remember to always "reset" you wrench to "0"lbs before you stow it away.

Burner----------&gt;
    2003 GMC SLT CC 4x4 SB-Cooper Tires-Speed Liner-Activator II-Full length ICI SS step bars B&W Goose & more to come
    -- Member #7527
    E-Mail --&gt;Twomuchplay(at)AOL(dot)com

Torque wrenches are inexpensive now days. If you are going to rotate your tires they will pay for themselves. Later! Frank
    02 2500 HD EC SB<br />Juice 4.61<br />Post OEM Racor 660<br />Back Country Bars<br />Roll Lock Cover<br />B & W Turnover

burner -that sounds like the problem i had with lug bolts breaking, two of them have broke twoo diff occasions. how much torque is to much- used breaker bar and gave them a slight pull because had to use thin wall socket to get to the nuts
    2003 white silverado LT C/C D/A<br />285/75/16 duelers on AR breakers<br />stainless locker rails,chrome plated stainless step bars access cover

If you're lucky enough to have an air compressor and an impact wrench you can buy one of them torque sticks made to stop when 140lbs are applied to the lug (costs less than $20). I've confirmed the torque stick 140lb torque with my trusty torque wrench and its pretty much on the money. Also can't hurt to put a little anti seize lubricant on the threads (silver stuff) so you don't brake the studs if they get rusted on.
    Just my 2 cents [img]smile.gif[/img]
    2003 2500HD Chev 4X4 Ext Cab S/B<br />Duramax/Allison<br />Westin Platinum Chrome Nerfs, Extang Classic Platinum Tonneau, Delvac1, Westin Chrome Bull Bar, Rhino Chrome Rear Step, Lund Interceptor bug Deflector, Fumoto Valve, Weathertech deflectors

Quote : "Also can't hurt to put a little anti seize lubricant on the threads (silver stuff) so you don't brake the studs if they get rusted on."

Anti-sieze will make a difference. Lubricated bolts will tighten up easier, and you will over-stretch the bolt if you use Dry Bolt Torque Specs. The lug nut torque of 140 Ft-lbs is for a dry bolt.
    Looking through general tables with torque specs, it seems common for the torque for lubricated bolts to be about 20% less than for dry bolts. I said ABOUT, and that's the general rule I follow.
    These aren't head bolts were talking about here, so I don't consider lug bolts that critical.
    02 Chev 2500HD Dmax/Allison X Cab LB 4WD
    Attitude, Monster Exhaust with Big Head, Michelin 265/75/16E LTX M/S on Alcoa Classics for summer hauling, Cooper Discover 238/85/16E M/S on PYO's for winter, B&W Goose Hitch with Companion 5th Wheel, Highway Products Tool Chest, Jordan Ultima 2020, Frederico sway bars front & rear, Air Lift SD Bags

I also put a film of anti-seize on points of contact between wheel and hub.When I did my first tire rotation I
    2002 GMC D/A ext. cab,built 01-02

had three of the wheels stuck on from corrosion.Have not since using the anti-seize.
    2002 GMC D/A ext. cab,built 01-02