Thread: Complete Banks Sidewinder Kit + LOTS of Extras

Default Complete Banks Sidewinder Kit + LOTS of Extras

Up for sale is my Banks Sidewinder Turbo Kit, which I had installed on my 6.2L Suburban. Although it is used, it worked PERFECTLY when pulled. There is no coking, no lag, and no grinding sound with this the turbo. Just normal dirt, soot and grease. I was in the process of rebuilding my 6.2 when I decided to go a different route with the power plant and drivetrain, so I no longer need my Sidewinder. And since I’d rather see someone use it than have it rust to pieces, somebody is definitely going to make out. For those interested, I’m going with either a customized surplus Optimizer with my custom built twin turbo setup and a GV hanging off of the T-Case, or a twin turbo Cummins with a tricked 47RE. Whichever I choose, I’ll be running a twin-sticked and doubled T-Case with 14 bolts front and rear – and yes, there are ways to convert a 14 bolt to a steering front axle, king pins and all. I’ve broken my fair share of Dana 44 and 60 HPs and LPs, but never a 14FF. Anyway, need to stay on point so back to the Sidewinder and extras.

What This Kit Fits

For those who are just starting out with the older GM diesels, the Banks turbo kit is 50 State Legal. It will install on all 1973 to 1991 GMC and Chevrolet Suburbans, Blazers, and Pickups with a 6.2L or 6.5L diesel installed. It does not matter if the vehicle was equipped from the factory with the 6.2/6.5 diesel, or if you converted the vehicle to diesel. It WILL work. And in consideration of what’s included with the extras, it doesn’t matter if you are emissions equipped or not. More on that in a bit.
    On a stock, emissions equipped 6.2L it provides best gains of +60 hp and +115 lb-ft torque, plus 19% better fuel economy. If you remove the smog equipment on your engine you will see 200+ hp and 360+ lb ft torque at the rear wheels, with as much fuel economy increase (19%+) or better. If you have a non-emissions "J" motor or a 6.2L out of a military vehicle such as a Hummer or CUCV, you will see somewhere in the neighborhood of 260 horsepower and almost 450 lb ft torque, which puts you in the vicinity of the power for currently manufactured diesel engines. Fuel economy will increase by about 20%.

The Kit And Bundled Extras

As I'm upgrading my rig I no longer need all the kit and all of the brand new, still-in-the-box and never used extras I purchased over the winter. Since I'll never need it, I might as well sell it. And that is where YOU benefit. Here is what you will get if you purchase this.
    The COMPLETE Banks Sidewinder Turbo Kit. Even the directions! NOTHING is missing save the muffler, which I took off and replaced with a straight pipe – the muff was eventually beaten into a new and unrecognizable shape by my 4 year old son.
    Early on I replaced my dash gauges with Stewart Warners, and I somehow managed to lose the original Banks vacuum and EGT gauges over the winter. So, you get the upgraded, and basically brand new Stewart Warners. They are a bolt-in replacements for the Banks units, and are equal or better in quality. I was going to put them on the Cummins, but they need to go with the Banks stuff to keep the kit complete. Besides, I’m going with a custom Autogauge setup so no point in keeping them.
    And now for the extras. Folks with smog equipped 6.2's and 6.5's will definitely like this, as will all of you out there who want to convert your vehicle to diesel. I'm throwing in a lot of hard to find parts to really help you get the most out of the Banks kit.

• One non-EGR "J" engine intake manifold. Very hard to find, definitely overpriced on eBay.
    • Big-port, non-EGR driver side exhaust manifold from a 190 hp "J" 6.2 Diesels. This came off of my Suburban so I know it works with the Sidewinder kit. It compliments the Banks passenger side manifold perfectly.
    • A non-emmission "J" engine Injection Pump with all of the injector lines. Again, hard to find complete, even harder to find are the injector lines. I was going to have this pump cleaned and rebuilt before replacing the IP on the Sidewinder equipped engine with it. I suggest you do the same because even though I took care of it, its due for rebuild.
    • Finally, I'm throwing in a brand new oil pump, heavy duty timing chain and gears, new head bolts, and a full Fel-Pro engine gasket set. All GM parts.

Fair Price

The Banks Sidwinder Turbo kit retails for about $2700 new, and you can pick them up on eBay for about $2500 if you shop wisely. Even though the kit is in excellent shape, because it's used I would normally drop several hundred from the asking price - so I'd ask about $2000. But because I'm adding in all of the extras, I’m asking $2500 or close to it. That is STILL STILL $200 cheaper than a new Banks kit, and the same price you’d pay on eBay. But unlike buying from Banks or eBay, you get everything you need to convert your engine to a non-emission diesel, and all of the parts you need to freshen up your old motor before you install the turbo. Best of all, this kit will work on either the 6.2 diesel, OR the 6.5 diesel. All of the gaskets and parts are common to both engines.
    You pay for the shipping, and I’ll box everything up and send it right to you.

1987 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban 4x4 with N/A 6.2L and built 700R4, stock gears

2000 Ford Explorer XLS 4X4 - Possible conversion candidate!

still have it ? $$$$ ?? thanks

Yes. Still have it all. Asking 2K or thereabouts. We can negotiate a little. Send me a Private Message with a good email and we'll talk.

i put my mouse over your name to send PM but no pm ? does everybody have to do the Image Verification to post every time ?

Quote Originally Posted by Burbinator View Post
    If you have a non-emissions "J" motor or a 6.2L out of a military vehicle such as a Hummer or CUCV, you will see somewhere in the neighborhood of 260 horsepower and almost 450 lb ft torque, which puts you in the vicinity of the power for currently manufactured diesel engines. Fuel economy will increase by about 20%.

Yeah, I'd like to see the proof behind that one. That little turbo and the factory pump aren't going to get you to 260hp on a stock J motor. Sorry, been around here long enough to call that one out.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

@JeepSJ

The older J engines put out in the neighborhood of 180 hp and 330 tq. This is the same engine that went to the military for use in thier CUCVs and Hummers. And those numbers are without a turbo. Its all in the heads, precups, exhaust, and CR.

Now that we've cleared that up, go swing by Banks and check out the stats on the Sidewinder kit.

After that, might also want to check out this page, right here.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/c...p_62l_buildup/

Note they used the Sidewinder kit - the same I listed.

And, there's another article online from an older magazine that tells you how to break 300 hp with the old 6.2s and 6.5s, and lists all the parts for each power level.

Huh. Evidently, you ain't been around as long as you claim, sonny!

Quote Originally Posted by Burbinator View Post
    @JeepSJ

The older J engines put out in the neighborhood of 180 hp and 330 tq. This is the same engine that went to the military for use in thier CUCVs and Hummers. And those numbers are without a turbo. Its all in the heads, precups, exhaust, and CR.

Now that we've cleared that up, go swing by Banks and check out the stats on the Sidewinder kit.

After that, might also want to check out this page, right here.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/c...p_62l_buildup/

Note they used the Sidewinder kit - the same I listed.

And, there's another article online from an older magazine that tells you how to break 300 hp with the old 6.2s and 6.5s, and lists all the parts for each power level.

Huh. Evidently, you ain't been around as long as you claim, sonny!
    Great article that shows 330ft/lbs from the Banks setup and 180hp. That is a LONG way from your claims. I also call BS on the 330ft/lbs claim on the J series. Again, 300HP is going to take something A LOT bigger than that little Banks unit.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

Quote Originally Posted by JeepSJ View Post
    Great article that shows 330ft/lbs from the Banks setup and 180hp. That is a LONG way from your claims. I also call BS on the 330ft/lbs claim on the J series. Again, 300HP is going to take something A LOT bigger than that little Banks unit.

I would agree with you. I would only believe the information I saw first hand while an engine is on the dyno in front of me, everything should be questioned.
    The internet of course is known for providing biased opinions and propaganda, sometimes outright lies.
    I can't begin to count how many posts on websites I've read that state to a certainty that the 6.2/6.5 is just a gas engine converted into a diesel, they are certain they are right.

Specifications:
    Engine RPO codes: LH6 ('C' series, with EGR) and LL4 ('J' series)
    Displacement: 6.2 L / 379 cu in
    Bore × stroke: 3.98 in × 3.80 in (101 mm × 97 mm)
    Block / Head: Cast iron / Cast iron
    Aspiration: Natural
    Valvetrain: OHV 2-V
    Compression: 21.5:1
    Injection: Indirect
    Horsepower / Torque (at start): 130 hp (97 kW) @ 3,600 rpm / 240 lb·ft (325 N·m) @ 2,000 rpm
    Horsepower / Torque (at final): 143 hp (107 kW) @ 3,600 rpm / 257 lb·ft (348 N·m) @ 2,000 rpm
    Horsepower / Torque (US Army HMMWV model): 165 hp (123 kW) @ 3,600 rpm / 330 lb·ft (447 N·m) @ 2,100 rpm
    Max RPMs: 3,600 rpm
    Idle RPMs: 550 ± 25

its been awhile but do you still have the turbo stuff?