Thread: Routine Maintainence Procedures

Question

I'm trying to find out what the procedure is to change my trannie & transfer case fluids and my differential fluids. I read a while back about a place on the site with frequently asked questions that had all the details but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone out there shed some light on this?

Reb [><]
    My Ride: \'01 Chevy Extended Cab Short Bed 4x4 LS Duramax/Allison, Juice 4.61 and some otehr goodies.<br /><br />New Toy: \'03 Mustang GT 5-speed, cold air intake. It\'s a fun toy but it\'s not a diesel.

The tcase and differentials are really quite easy. Basically, you remove the fill and drain plugs, let it fully drain (at least 15 minutes), replace the drain plug and fill it with the correct weight oil until it starts to seep out of the fill hole. Let it sit for another 15 minutes of so, to let the "overflow" drain out from the fill hole, and then replace the fill plug.

The transmission is another story however. In order to do it completely -- including the torque converter -- you need to attach the tranny to a special machine that forces all the old fluid out of the entire tranny. It then replaces it with fresh fluid. This is usually not something you can (properly) do yourself.
    2002 Chevy 2500HD CC SB; Westers PCM; PIAA eXtreme Whites; SUVLights headlight harness; PIAA airdam with PIAA fogs; Undercoated; PowerFlow mudflaps; Warn steps; Jeraco cap; Rhino; \"Green\" keys; 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers; Rancho RS9000x; Amsoil

Hey, JimWilson

How do you like those terra grapplers? How is the fit, ride,and how good in the snow?
    2002 GMC 2500HD D/A ext.cab L/B 4x4 SLE pewter<br /> <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/wildbore101\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/wildbore101</a>

As a rule, always make sure you can remove the
    fill plug before you remove the drain plug and
    do not overfill and over tighten.
    2002 2500 HD Duramax Diesel Crew Cab Short box 4x4<br /><br />OEM Running Boards, Hidden Hitch front end hitch, step covers, and driven like there is an egg under the gas pedal

"The transmission is another story however. In order to do it completely -- including the torque converter -- you need to attach the tranny to a special machine that forces all the old fluid out of the entire tranny. It then replaces it with fresh fluid. This is usually not something you can (properly) do yourself."

ALLISON SPECIFICALLY CAUTIONS *NOT* TO DO THIS. Apparently a pressure flush can damage internal O-ring seals. The proper way to "flush" the entire transmission and cooler, by disconnecting a cooler line, has been stated many times here. A search will find it for you.
    2001 2500HD D/A CC/SB 4x4<br />A.R.E. Z-series topper, CA 75-series boards, Bedrug, Fumoto valve, Amsoil air filter, Jan \'02 PCM updates,Transfer Flow 50 gal. crossbed aux. fuel tank, Bilstein shocks, 25 ft. Tahoe Transport toybox (9.6K loaded), Hensley hitch, Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller.

Look at Hoots signature and it will explain everything needed to do a tranny fluid change. Works great
    [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
    01 DMax/Alli<br />Robert