Thread: 97 Express starting prob.

Default 97 Express starting prob.

I have a 97 Express 6.5L and has a starting problem. It will start some days, and then somedays not. When it doesn't, it won't even crank the starter. the clocl on the radio is on then i turn the key and it goes off. I've noticed that it usually won't start at night and it will start in the day. I've been told that this is a wire connection. I have a code reader and it doesn't show anything is wrong. I will check tommarow again with the reader. Does anyone know where to start with this? Should I start to just cleaning connetions, such as battery ect.? Thanks
    1998 Chevy Express van 15 passenger 3500 6.5L:
    130000?
    rebuilt turbo
    aluminum American Racing wheels W/ offroad tires
    custom hitch
    PRISON VAN
    more to come

I got a better view of the problem today. The van will be normal with start up until the "wait" light goes out and I turn the key. The wait light will flash on and off periodically and there is a buzzing from behind the drivers seat. But the engine does nothing, doesn't even make a noise from the engine compartment. Could this be a dead or low battery because I still can listen to the radio. Or maybe a connection? Also, the diagnostic reader doesn't pick up anything.
    1998 Chevy Express van 15 passenger 3500 6.5L:
    130000?
    rebuilt turbo
    aluminum American Racing wheels W/ offroad tires
    custom hitch
    PRISON VAN
    more to come

Sounds like a bad battery connection.

These vehicles have TWO batteries, check the one underneath the hood.

I'm not sure where the second battery is though. In the 80's 6.2 Diesel vans, the secondary battery was underneath the van in a box. Perhaps this is your buzzing sound (sparking battery terminal).

Crawl underneath and see if you can find the second battery, remove ALL battery connections and clean thourally. With a weak battery connection, I have had the glowplugs come on, then no start, cause the connection is bad. Sometimes not even a solid glow (consumes a bit of power).

J