Thread: fog light install, with a twist

Default fog light install, with a twist

Been meaning to start this project for a while.

Since installing Acura TSX HID lights in the low beams, I've lost my DRl's.

They're law in Canada, so I needed an alternative. I didn't want to run the high beams since they are the inboard lights. Just don't want that look.

I also wanted to install a set of fog lights I had, but they were round ones. Deciding they wouldn't look quite right with the rest of my "square" GMC lights, I bought a set of KC LX2 wide beam fogs on David's recommendation:

I also wanted to "french" the lights into the bumper because hanging them under it wasn't a workable option. The lower air dam comes off to install the snow plow and I don't like them that unprotected (IE: under the bumper). The angled lens on the lights also allow me to point the lights straight forward and still follow the angle on the bumper. The wide beam is also a plus when going down the rural roads to the cottage. They'll give little thumper a chance to be seen and maybe prevent a "splat". We get loads of fog in the spring/summer here and frequent blizzards/blowing snow in the winter, so some low slung short cut off lights will be useful then too.

So, here's the beginning of the fitting process:

Pretty good for having just cut the bumper holes and welding up the mounts. As time goes on, I'll refine the holes to their final size and weld in a lip with a nice eased over edge to make it all more factory finish looking.

Next up: install the half power DRl module and bypass wiring for full power at the flick of a switch.

Hmmm, now I'm thinking it's probably time I got back on the dual alternator project too.........

Last edited by greatwhite; 07-22-2012 at 17:25.
    1998 k2500

LOL.

I've had two different guys flag me down and ask me where I bought the bumper.

I point to the welded center section and the raw cuts for light openings and tell them I made it myself out of an OEM bumper.

Next question out of both their mouths was "can you make me one?"

Sorry gents, buy a welder and learn to burn metal or get something similar to it from LMC truck.....

1998 k2500