Thread: TPS for the DB2 pump.

Default TPS for the DB2 pump.

Since Jean was involved in a crash which has resulted in the insurance company declaring our 11 Malibu a total, we've decided to not replace it, and to put our old Burb. back on the road. Ain't doin no good jist a-sittin thar.

So since the mechanical pump/L80E interface has been a bit iffy at times, I've ordered up a new aftermarket shift control. The control requires a TPS on the pump in order to function.

I went into the "Featured Articles" and looked up the one dealing with the DB2 pump and TPS and noted that Jim references a 92-93 TPS. I have the original one from the 95 electronic pump, which looks the same in pictures as the one on the DB2.

The question (s). Will the elect. pump TPS work in place of the mechanical one; or are the signals of a different voltage?
    If I need one from a DB2, where's the best place to get it? I just looked up a few on the infernal contraption, here, and the first one I saw was well over $200! A couple of others were listed for as low as the high forties, but didn't look the same and didn't have a pigtail on them.

YOur thoughts? Jim? Anybody?

Thanks,
    DW
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

Dick:

Really very simple. There were two types of TPS used on the 6.2/6.5 mechanical pumps. The one used for the 400 Auto which only turned on (or off??) at full throttle and was combined with a vacuum circuit to control the modulator in the tranny.

The one you are looking for is the "Hall Effect" version that was used on any versions that were paired with the 700 R4 or the electronic transmissions (4L60E/4L80E). The TPS can easily be identified by counting the number of wires hooked up to it (3) or by looking at the plug, again three terminals.

RockAuto has it listed for about $135.00

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...143694&jsn=713

Hope this helps.

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

I have one, my 93 was a auto tranny but no longer, if it will help ya I can let it go cheap, it's still on the pump right now....
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook

How in heck did you do that, convert2? I searched all over Rock Auto (first thing I did), even tried calling them, and got nothing but a message that all the information that their people could give me was listed in their on-line catalog. A search for Throttle Position Sensor on their site got me nowhere when looking for one to fit a 92-93 GM diesel. What was the right technique that I missed?

Thanks for the good responses, guys.

DW
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.