TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2017 - TDP's 21st Anniversary
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > The Diesel Page Member Forums > Member's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Member's Forum The Diesel Page Member community forum. General discussion forum for topics not necessarily focused on diesels.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:45 PM
Missy Good Wench ( Moderator)

Got some more work done today, albeit a bit tedious now.

Removed some south side decking to open up the area where the beam needs to come out.

Replaced with 2x4's to give a reasonable platform to work from on top of the structure.

I have just a few of the old boards left to come out and be replaced by the temporary materials.

Once this stuff is done I can rig the beam to get it out.

Making up the rules as we go on this bad boy... just gotta go easy and not get things outta sorts.

So far the plan looks good.

WE shall see
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D13.jpg (98.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg D14.jpg (98.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg D15.jpg (81.2 KB, 13 views)
Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM

Here are a bunch of photos taken during contruction.

There were hundreds of pics taken, but these are good highlights of the process.

The order is pretty random but one can pretty well get the gist of things.

Started the project in Spring of 93 and by late spring the digout was done and the site was ready to go.

The permitting process got ugly and I ended up hiring an engineer to go over the prints and sign off, and then act as the inspector due to the county folks having no clue WTF we were doing.

Concrete went in during June and once the infloor plumbing was done and the slab poured we hung steel a few weeks later.

House sections were brought in the last week of August 93 and rolled onto the basement frame assembly.

The carpenters were here and we had the basement pony walls up and things weather tight for winter by early October.

The deck, power, water and phone were in before early rains.
We moved in upstairs just after Christmas.

We actually had Christmas here and then went back to our place in Town to spend the night.

Daughter and I finished the final move in a few days later and IT WAS SO

The basement apartment for my folks was finished up over the winter and early Spring 1994 and the folks moved in in may 94.

A great deal different than the normal stick built home and a bunch different than the standard Manufactured house set up.

We followed the blue prints to the letter on the concrete and steel as we knew what we needed to accomplish.

The framing on the apartment and the attachment to the steel overhead got interesting.

WE made up a lot of rules as we went.

The electrical feed had to be set up off a dual disconnect 400 amp service with a separate panel for the basement.

The AC system upstairs was tapped to feed the apartment as well as the upstairs.

Water was split to serve both.

This was a herculean effort on the part of many to get things done.

A great big thank you to many.

No thanks to the county as they were a PITA all the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PIX1.jpg (66.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg HOUSE8.jpg (54.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg HOUSE7.jpg (69.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg HOUSE6.jpg (56.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg HOUSE5.jpg (57.2 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Robyn; Yesterday at 09:27 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM

More pix

And this is the why behind the way things are around here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HOUSE2.jpg (61.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg HOUSE3.jpg (60.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg HOUSE4.jpg (64.7 KB, 11 views)
Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM
Enthusiast

Don't see any detail on how you slid house over beams.
Koffing rollers maybe? But then beams run length wise not cross ways.

A5150nut
2006 K3500 D/A
94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold
Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM

Beams run from North to South.

The sections were hauled up to the area just to the North of the concrete basement and rolled out onto the steel beams using a number of cat track dollies under the sections.

Went very well all considered.

I fabricated some brackets that clipped over the 8 inch thick concrete walls and allowed temporary timbers to connect from the dirt bank to the North and across the chasm between the basement and the bank.

Look at piccy labeled HOUSE 4

The bottom 2 pics are looking East.

The cat is on the haul road and the sections were rolled from LEFT TO RIGHT ACROSS THAT HUGE gap in the ground.

We dug the giant hole to allow plenty of room for the concrete guys to do their form work with zero issues.

Look at pix HOUSE 3

Top left piccy

This is looking West with the 2 long sections on the basement and the short section "Pod" waiting to be rolled onto the grid.

The round window is the master bath and is shown in pix of the deck repair.

The two trees by the deck grew in the past 24 years.

It was a real treat seeing the sections all set on location and like we figured they would go.

The crew had never done a basement set before.
The salesman assured me that their crews were totally versed in such things.

The morning the sections arrived the crew truck shows up and the boss asks to see the site.

He has a worried look on his face and mentioned that he was told the house was going on a basement ?????????

He exclaimed "WE have never done one like this before"

Real reassuring moment I can tell you

But we had planned for such issues, and had welded brackets to the steel to allow the sections to be Spot on when they rolled them on the grid.

Actually the idiots knocked the brackets off and later we ended up having to use flashing on the West end and North side of the concrete as the house was off by an inch both ways making it so the pony walls did not hit the mark as they would have.

That is what happens when folks don't follow the print

Luckily the house was not crooked, just an inch too far East and an inch too far South.

But no worries.

We made up the rules as we went.

The steel and concrete were right to the print and design specs.
After that we just made stuff fit.

Pretty darned good all considered.

Total cost when complete was right at $125 K 1993 dollars

3300 Sq ft of living space for the total with about 2000 feet in the basement for storage and shop.

The apartment is 1000 sq ft, fully self contained living quarters that we now rent out as a separate residence.

My folks lived there, then after they passed my Father in law stayed and then a cousin spent a few years and now it is a rental.

Worked out well.

My tenant cares for an elderly lady so the extra wide hallway and over sized doors work well.

Was an interesting project for sure.

Last edited by Robyn; Yesterday at 07:37 PM.
Old Today, 04:28 AM
Enthusiast

Default Robyn you amaze me

Robyn, you have always amazed me with all the knowledge that you have given on this site. I really appreciate all of the information and advise that you give out. Thank you for sharing the pictures of your adventures in life. I am sure that most others share the same feelings. Thanks for all that you share. You are definitely one Fantastic person.
Old Today, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the compliments

Always happy to help others.

Pictures speak a 1000 words.

Believe me, when I hatched the plan on the house there were many naysayers, including the county building/planning dept.

Not to be dissuaded I pressed on and ended up hiring a fella I knew who happened to be a civil engineer as well as a PE

He reviewed my blue prints and then added his stamp on them to get the county folks to come on board.
Then the county claimed they could not approve the plans because they did not have a PE on staff ????????????? and their inspectors knew nothing about this sort of a set up.

Finally they relented and approved after I agreed to have my engineer as the inspector.

Things got very clumsy with my engineer on site and then the local guys would show up and try to over rule things

Really gets interesting when you have a line of barrel trucks full of mud and a concrete pump on site ready to pour, and a little power trip gets going between my engineer and the dude from the county.

The county guys were told by their boss to stay away and that our staff was handling it.

That did not stop them from showing up and getting under foot.

But it all came out just fine.

Been up here in the wind and rain, one earth quake and a buttload of snow and whatever ma nature can toss at us and is doing really well.

I won't go into detail on the issues we had with the electrical inspector

Ended up calling the power company (Portland General Electric) and they sent out one of their inspectors and he signed off

Seems that a 400 amp service with dual disconnects, a 20kw generator with a 400 amp transfer switch just too much for the county guy to deal with

When the time for the final inspection came, the only thing that the county wanted was a little hand grab rail on the stairs.

It was on there in half a heart beat

GAWD
Such goings on..

And a great time was had by all...