Thread: Defecation hits the reciprocating oscillator.

Default Defecation hits the reciprocating oscillator.

I need a new rear end for Sierra! The housing/tube is cracked all around between the U-bolts on the passenger side. Found I had oil weeping out, into the undercoating and dirt below the spring perch, took a putty knife to the crud and there it was. Lucky the whole thing hadn't parted and sent the tire, wheel, axle and brake into the body, or worse, sent me into a roll!

Just made my first contact to our friends at the local junk yard, and put Crissy to work looking for a good used unit, but I'd like input from all who have experience/suggestions.

Looking to get things changed over by the 11th of October for our yearly pilgrimage to Brownsville. Suspected this problem from a quick peek under there a week- plus ago, but have been down with a serious upper respiratory infection, and just now got to put the beast up on the Bend Pak.

Of all the dad-burned luck.

Thanks for listening.

DW
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

Wow, I know guys that race/wheel/jump with this rear axle and don't see this type of carnage.

Shouldn't be hard to find another axle, sorry for the bad luck.
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project

Dick, look on Craigslist before you start paying for shipping one to you. I have seen quite a number of Dmax trucks being parted out in my area (Phoenix). If possible post a picture of the crack after you pull the rear end. I have never heard of someone cracking the housing on a Dmax differential without being in a bad wreck. I guess this something else I need to watch for on my dually.

Take care of your self and get the respiratory infection fixed before trying to fix the truck. I know several people with a similar infection. Many people here in Az. think it is being carried into the US by the illegal invaders at the southern border. Thanks Obama.

Good luck
    John
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

Quote Originally Posted by CoyleJR View Post
    Dick, look on Craigslist before you start paying for shipping one to you. I have seen quite a number of Dmax trucks being parted out in my area (Phoenix). If possible post a picture of the crack after you pull the rear end. I have never heard of someone cracking the housing on a Dmax differential without being in a bad wreck. I guess this something else I need to watch for on my dually.

Take care of your self and get the respiratory infection fixed before trying to fix the truck. I know several people with a similar infection. Many people here in Az. think it is being carried into the US by the illegal invaders at the southern border. Thanks Obama.

Good luck
    John
    cuz Bush never let any illegals in, nor did he ever try to give them amnesty...

Oh... Wait...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2004/01...tion-concerns/

Back on topic: Got some pics of the crack? Any idea of an event that might've caused it?

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

www.car-part.com

Allows you to search just your state, or the entire us for parts.
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project

Arrow

Unless the former President or an illegal alien is delivering axles, we should probably leave that right there.

Good luck, Dick.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks, guys. I have one coming in from a southern state next Tuesday or Thursday. It's $800, delivered to the local yard that I mentioned. One-hundred-sixty K on it, with a six month warranty. Same price as my son and I found on e-Bay and Craig's List, and I have the friendly local lady on my side.

Somewhere, either on TDP, or in a mag., I've read that track bars are not good for our towing truck's rear end. Well, I have two very heavy beams on my Air Lift Road Tamer suspension that are basically track bars. They pivot from the same mounts as the front pivot points where the original steel spring eyes did. Could be that the stiff hook-up for the rear end is the issue that the article I read was referring to. ????? Anyway, the dang thing is cracked wide open, almost all the way around the circumference, to the point that you can see almost the whole thickness of the tube on the forward surface, right next to the inboard U-bolt. I fancy that I can see where the housing just might be tweaked upward from that point out to the backing plate, but?

So, at this point, I'm feeling relieved that I caught it, and that I haven't had the whole she-bang come adrift and wreck a good share of the brand-new paint job. Or worse! Besides, I'm getting away for less money than I anticipated.

Saving any political comments for another time, or another issue.

All of us who Winter along the border always have a supply of Z-max available, and I just now started a second go-round, this afternoon, since I feel that the first one didn't do any good because of it being viral, and that now, it's turned into a sinus infection that quite well may respond. We'll see.

Thanks for everything and I'll see if Lance can get me on here with a couple of pic's.

DW
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

Any update? Back on the road?