Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: diesel tachometer

I wish I knew how to post foreign links, but I don't. But I did find that VDO lists a bunch of electric tachs, and they sell one with a black face, orange pointer, and only 2 1/16th size. I think I could fit it in the small lower left pod, that I believe is where the small factory clock would go. Problem is, they say to hook it up to a "W" terminal off the back of the alternator. I think there's a link showing that this signal can be tapped into either of the 3 diode triode studs. I'm sure my alternator doesn't have a "W" terminal. Does this set-up seem feasible? Their tachs are also available in a 4K or 6K model. The 4K has the 2K reference at 12 oclock, and the 6 has the 3K at 12. Which would be more desirable?
    Old habits, die hard.

Default Tach . . .

I'm looking at adding a tach to my 6.2 as well, I would go with the 4K as it covers in reality what you will use (if not more), the 6K is overkill imho.
    1982 K5 Blazer 4wd w/ 6.2 turbodiesel (Banks Sidewinder) w/ rear disk brakes, more to come . . .

Hello Mike,
    My truck has 4.10s in it, W/O an OD, and on the highway, the motor sounds like it's coming unglued at 55-60. I think these things are running somewhere in the 3Ks, so the 6K tach, (270* sweep), would put the needle to the right of the 12 o'clock position on the highway, where the 4K would have the needle almost buried.
    Old habits, die hard.

Arrow

I would recommend a tach in the 6K range. With a governed red line of 3600 RPM's, the engine will run at about 3400 under moderate load. It can also (safely) wind up to 4500+ on compression.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

A number of years ago, Dr. Lee posted a DIY circuit board that worked with an engine speed sensor (oil pump drive used in California engines) to give you a signal that could be used with any gasser tach. Found the article in the members area:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members...wangertach.htm

Worked really well for me. Found the drive with the ESS at Rockauto

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...383&cc=1031151

Hope this helps

Bill
    91 Buick Roadmaster/Avant 6.2 NA conversion (gone but not forgotten)
    94 Cadillac Fleetwood (sold)
    08 Aerolight 23TT
    06 Vortec Max Silverado CC SB (sold)
    10 Avalanche (electronic quagmire but love the truck)

Default Perhaps . . .

Quote Originally Posted by joeq View Post
    Hello Mike,
    My truck has 4.10s in it, W/O an OD, and on the highway, the motor sounds like it's coming unglued at 55-60. I think these things are running somewhere in the 3Ks, so the 6K tach, (270* sweep), would put the needle to the right of the 12 o'clock position on the highway, where the 4K would have the needle almost buried.
    Perhaps this would be better, or a 5K if it's a choice. Up to you.
    1982 K5 Blazer 4wd w/ 6.2 turbodiesel (Banks Sidewinder) w/ rear disk brakes, more to come . . .

Hey Bill, I like that drive from Rock auto. But I couldn't access the link for the circuit for some reason. I found something interesting from our competitor brand X site. Some-one used a Topkick tach, and said that there's an oil pump drive used in the later 6.2 suburbans used to send a signal to the 4L60E tranny. How obtainable are these units, and would they work for a factory gas tach? I haven't any vacuum accessories, and don't need the pump.
    Old habits, die hard.

Joe:

That's the drive I referenced in my earlier post. It is essentially an AC generator and produced a sine wave for the early ECMs. That signal has to be rectified to give you the needed on/off signal to ground that is required to drive a conventional tach.

Tried to find the circuit on my computer but it didn't survive numerous crashes over the years.

The link I sent you regarding the circuit is only available in the members area. Money really well spent. The archives and articles will make your life much easier. Lots of 6.2 info there.

Good luck

Bill
    08 Aerolight 23TT

I just checked the members area for something tach related, and gave up after a few pages. It would be nice to have a search bubble.
    But I think you answered my question, in that the Rock auto generator will send the correct signal to a gas tach. I guess it's just a matter of making an electrical harness to connect the terminals correctly. I'll have to get a tach, and try to figure out the connections. I see LMC sells gas tachs with the correct face on them. They're a little pricey tho.

Thanx Bill
    Old habits, die hard.

I just checked the members area for something tach related, and gave up after a few pages. It would be nice to have a search bubble.
    But I think you answered my question, in that the Rock auto generator will send the correct signal to a gas tach. I guess it's just a matter of making an electrical harness to connect the terminals correctly. I'll have to get a tach, and try to figure out the connections. I see LMC sells gas tachs with the correct face on them. They're a little pricey tho.

Thanx Bill
    http://www.thedieselpage.com/members...wangertach.htm You have to buy a membership to access this file but it has everything in it to wire up a tach.

You will need this circuit board to convert the signal from the ESS on the oil pump drive. A gasser tach, needs a signal that varies between open and connected to ground like the older "points" type ignition systems.

Again, good luck

Bill
    08 Aerolight 23TT

I'm not understanding Bill. The link shows to be on this site, which we are both members. When I click on it, it says URL not found, (or something like that). If you happen to know the thread title, or area on this site where I can access it, I would appreciate it.
    Also, I looked in Rock auto, for a vacuum pump for a 1988 6.2 3/4 ton Suburban, but they don't list a 88 Suburban with a 6.2. they only show an available V6, or 305. I can't see a 3/4 ton Suburban, with a V6 in it. I was looking for the pump, to see if it came with the generator harness to operate the 4L60E tranny.
    Old habits, die hard.

It looks like the link got shortened - possibly by the cut and paste. The "..." in the link makes it inoperable.

The full link given before works: http://www.thedieselpage.com/members...wangertach.htm
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

I'm not understanding Bill. The link shows to be on this site, which we are both members. When I click on it, it says URL not found, (or something like that). If you happen to know the thread title, or area on this site where I can access it, I would appreciate it.
    Also, I looked in Rock auto, for a vacuum pump for a 1988 6.2 3/4 ton Suburban, but they don't list a 88 Suburban with a 6.2. they only show an available V6, or 305. I can't see a 3/4 ton Suburban, with a V6 in it. I was looking for the pump, to see if it came with the generator harness to operate the 4L60E tranny.
    Joe:

There are two levels to membership on this site. The first is free to all and allows you access to the forums, the other is a paid membership to help support the site and to allow Jim to offer all the print and manuals associated with these trucks. The paid subscription allows you access to the "Members" area (see top of home page).

The 6.2 versions that used that ESS, had a remote mounted, belt driven vacuum pump. The ESS was not used to drive a 4L60E, but rather the EGRs installed on the California spec engines. The 700RV/4l60 (non E) used only the TPS and a throttle Valve cable.

All of these engines, after 93 I think, used a stand alone tranny controller to drive the full electronic transmissions. After they started installing the electronic fuel pumps, the tranny controller was integrated into the ECM.

I have seen a combination Vacuum pump with the ESS that was installed in the oil pump drive but only once, and I think it was on a van. Not a very common application.

Bill
    08 Aerolight 23TT

The ACDelco ESS at Rock auto, (p/n 21597), I believe is a replacement oil pump driven unit, to send a signal to the PCM? And doesn't utilize a vacuum pump. As mentioned before, I got info saying it sent a signal to the 4L60 (E?), in the later 80s 6.2s, not the 90s when all the electronics came in. maybe this info is wrong?
    I apologize for making this more confusing than it is. But to simplify all the info above, can I just ask this question?
    Will the oil pump driven ESS from Rock auto, send the correct signal to a gas tach? (W/O having to modify to electronics of the tach) I realize some sort of pre-fabbed harness will need to be implemented.
    (I feel I've already asked this. I'll have to go back and re-re-read.)
    Sorry Bill, now I see that you stated the circuit "will" have to be modified to use this drive on a gas tach. Guess I'll have to become a "premium" member, to access this info. Thanx.
    So where do I go to sign up? I see the members area line on the top, but that's about all.
    Old habits, die hard.

Right beside the "Members Area" there is a subscribe icon. As I said in my first post, this subscription is worth every penny. All of the 6.2 info has been listed in the Members area. If your really interested in some in depth knowledge of these engines, I would also suggest some of the print versions and manuals that Jim and others have collected over the years and have for sale as well.

Bill
    08 Aerolight 23TT

Default Yep . . .

Quote Originally Posted by convert2diesel View Post
    Right beside the "Members Area" there is a subscribe icon. As I said in my first post, this subscription is worth every penny. All of the 6.2 info has been listed in the Members area. If your really interested in some in depth knowledge of these engines, I would also suggest some of the print versions and manuals that Jim and others have collected over the years and have for sale as well.

Bill

Agreed, I also got the manuals on my 6.2, all three of them and they were worth the price for them as well.

Alright men, thanx for the guidance. Just got myself signed up. Will have to go through the formalities in a few, but at least the ball is rolling.
    Old habits, die hard.

OK, so I'm in. I see the article, and it's exactly what I'm looking for. And as old as that write-up is, has anyone come across any alternatives, besides building a circuit board from scratch? I mean, it's pretty ingenious for the author to come up with it on his own, and if I have to make one, I will. I'm thinking there's a bread maker, or some common appliance of some sort, that might already have something useable. It's still beyond me to think this whole tach ordeal is as obscure as it is. If I were to take a pole, how many trucks on this site have tachs in them? 50%? 20%? less?
    Old habits, die hard.

Joe:

Total outlay was less than 15 bucks in components (bought many spares due to my soldering skills) and a snowy Saturday afternoon. Trust me, if I was able to build it, you can too.

Talk to the guy at the electronics store. There are bread boards available for prototyping that don't require soldering. Just plug and play and do a bunch of cross wiring. Have no idea how long they would last in this application so that is why I dug out my soldering iron and made three messes and one functional unit that lasted over 100k miles without a glitch.

Good luck

Bill
    08 Aerolight 23TT

Bill!? You're the author and builder of this board? Nicely done. You say if you can do it, anyone can? Well, you haven't seem my welds, or solders. They're similar to the snowbanks, I build up, after shoveling my driveway. I have a computer programmer buddy who does some circuit board stuff, so maybe I'll recruit him for assistance, if I get in a bind. We have a pretty large swapmeet that comes around here this month, (Stafford Springs), so I plan on looking for some parts or connections for parts for my truck. Like a rust free cab, or at least a full floor pan. And some cool dash gauges. Maybe that oil pump drive. We'll see what's around. I'll keep you posted on progress, thanx for the advice.
    Old habits, die hard.