Thread: 99 Burb no fuel?

Default 99 Burb no fuel?

Greetings, all

I was about 6 miles from home two weeks ago and my Burb (175k) quit as I was rolling to a stop sign. Check gages and SES, but no codes. Tried cranking, no start. Had it towed home. Lift pump checks good, fuel manager has plenty of flow, ESS removed and checked with 12v, all okay. Swapped the PMD with a new Flight Systems from Pensacola Diesel. Relocated PMD about 4 years ago behind the front bumper. Last test was cracking open an injector line...no fuel.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Buzz
    '99 K2500 'Burb, my DD
    K&N insert in stock airbox
    Relocated PMD behind front bumper

Does your 99 have a fuel shut off solenoid like my old 94 had?
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Arrow

Check fuel flow at the pump return outlet while cranking. If you get flow, then the pump is probably toast. Often when they fail, they will not set codes. If no flow, then fuel isn't getting to the pump.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by a5150nut View Post
    Does your 99 have a fuel shut off solenoid like my old 94 had?
    "Fuel shut off solenoid" = ESS. Engine Stop Solenoid.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I'll try that in the morning. I did test the ESS while it was still connected to it's harness but out of the IP. Lots o'fuel in the IP from that point. But will test tomorrow and advise.

Thanks!
    Buzz
    '99 K2500 'Burb, my DD

Couldn't get the return hose off the top of the pump, so I pulled the return hose off #1 and ran into a catch bottle. Cranked. No fuel in the catch bottle, and a dribble out of the metal line to the IP. Is that a reasonable test, and if so, is the IP cooked?

For what it's worth, still no DTCs.

Thanks
    Buzz
    '99 K2500 'Burb, my DD

Default What next?

Okay, now I'm really stumped. Decided to re-run all my troubleshooting steps to make sure I didn't mis anything. Here's what I found:

Lift pump checks okay. Lots of fuel at fuel manager bleed.

Removed ESS, turned to Run; lots of fuel at the IP, running out of ESS port.

Unplugged lift pump, ESS removed but plugged into its harness; turned key to Run. ESS energizes and retracts piston.

Reconnected all; cranked over; 35PSI oil, good volts to turn over, crank but no fire.

Any more ideas?

Thanks
    Buzz
    '99 K2500 'Burb, my DD

Pull oil fill tube and verify cam/IP is turning?
    Do no start diagnosis here:
    http://www.accuratediesel.com/nostart.html
    Eliminate PMD extension harness by plugging PMD to IP harness directly.

Security relearn required?
    2005 Chev K3500 CCLB

Default Fixed, but now what??

Seems like it was just air in the system. I did pull the top manifold to get to the optical sensor and return line. The return line was missing a clamp at the IP end. Pulled the line, checked for fuel...good. Replaced the clamp. Replaced the return hose from #1 as the end was starting to split. Cranked with optical sensor disconnected as per troubleshooting tips printout, and it coughed like it wanted to start. Cracked open #1 and cranked...finally started after a few seconds, with good fuel spurts from the opened line. Buttoned everything back up, and it's been running great all week until this afternoon. 3/4 mile from the house, inside my neighborhood, it died again. Checked lift pump relay and pump. Now when I turn it to Run, I get about 5 seconds of lift pump and no audible glow relay cycles. No fuel flow after that with the bleed valve on the fuel manager open.

Any ideas?

BTW thanks to all for the help on the last issue!
    Buzz
    '99 K2500 'Burb, my DD

As of 30 minutes ago...
    Batteries charged full overnight
    Swapped spare lift pump into harness, pump works with key at Run, continued to run. Did not remove current pump from fuel lines.
    Disconnected optical sensor, crank but no start
    Disconnected IP return line. No fuel from either return line or IP return line nipple while cranking
    Pulled the ESS, there is fuel inside the IP.
    With key at Run, I get about 3/4 of a pint bottle of fuel from the fuel manager bleed screw until the lift pump cycles off.
    And yes, the ECM-B fuse is okay. My bad.

Next?

Thanks again, all!
    Buzz
    '99 K2500 'Burb, my DD

Have you tried connecting OS and disconnecting CPS?
    Extended cranking is normal because with either sensor disconnected you are causing limp mode.

Aftermarket CPS are almost always bad-AC Delco ONLY for electroinic replacement parts.
    2005 Chev K3500 CCLB

Swap in your spare PMD,. see if that works,.

you do have one,.. right?
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi

A reaction from the ess does not mean it is functioning properly. Bad ess almost always react, but due to wear are no longer able to remain in proper position for fuel. If it were open at all during cranking you would at minimum have a weak fuel flow.
    93 CC DRW, NV4500
    6.5 w/gm3 turbo
    92k and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by ken93 View Post
    A reaction from the ess does not mean it is functioning properly. Bad ess almost always react, but due to wear are no longer able to remain in proper position for fuel. If it were open at all during cranking you would at minimum have a weak fuel flow.
    I notice you had a problem with faulty ess ,.

if it retracts even a little amount the truck will fire and idle on very little fuel flow,.
    This guy has NO start,.

You can remove the pindle and the truck will run and shut off,. its there in case the FSD/PMD fails in a wide open throttle scenario,.
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi

Quote Originally Posted by phantom309 View Post
    I notice you had a problem with faulty ess ,.

if it retracts even a little amount the truck will fire and idle on very little fuel flow,.
    This guy has NO start,.

You can remove the pindle and the truck will run and shut off,. its there in case the FSD/PMD fails in a wide open throttle scenario,.
    While I have seen several ess present the condition you are referencing, in my experience, and with having personally been responsible for servicing a 400 plus vehicle fleet, i can assure you, it is not a constant, or the "norm". In most cases, the coil can still "jump" but due to lost efficiency from age, heat and wear caused by impurities in fuel, the spring which keeps the ess in its "rest" position quickly overpowers the coil. If not starting at all, failing before the glow plugs are warm, and if starting and dying, its failing just after it starts. That is why alot of times, at first this starts as "random" shut off, and people can restart and drive home. Then it progresses. Only time they are "dead and done" is when the coil l itterally breaks continuity. This is by no means the "norm".
    93 CC DRW, NV4500
    6.5 w/gm3 turbo
    92k and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by ken93 View Post
    While I have seen several ess present the condition you are referencing, in my experience, and with having personally been responsible for servicing a 400 plus vehicle fleet, i can assure you, it is not a constant, or the "norm". In most cases, the coil can still "jump" but due to lost efficiency from age, heat and wear caused by impurities in fuel, the spring which keeps the ess in its "rest" position quickly overpowers the coil. If not starting at all, failing before the glow plugs are warm, and if starting and dying, its failing just after it starts. That is why alot of times, at first this starts as "random" shut off, and people can restart and drive home. Then it progresses. Only time they are "dead and done" is when the coil l itterally breaks continuity. This is by no means the "norm".
    So you were personally responsible for servicing 400 6.5 diesels??
    If so then i,m sure you much experience,.

I doubt one man could service any 400 units of any size,.not even weed wackers,.

I,ve been wrenching all my life,. and at one time I was head wrench with a crew of 4 rebuilding and servicing 40+ tractors and about 60 gravel trailers,.

but i,m no expert yet,.
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi

Not to sidebar yet another post, but no I am no expert. I am not here to argue methods and experience.I was offering assistance to a fellow enthusiast, and sharing experiences. Im sorry if my experience seems inflated to you. Simple math may help, you had 3 supbordenants, I had 30. Hope that helps.

I'm not here for a pissing contest, I'm here to expand what i know, share what I've learned, and help People if i can. Bottom line, spend your time sharing experience and knowlege and not questioning others and their experience, and the author of this post might just get back on the road.
    93 CC DRW, NV4500
    6.5 w/gm3 turbo
    92k and counting.

Any updates?

Depending on miles on the truck, 4 years since PMD change makes me think it is that. I hope the OP doesn't skip the obvioius
    Jeffrey Todd
    _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _
    '96 6.5TD GMC Suburban 2500 4x4 - 300,000 miles, JK remote FSD, Dual Thermostats