Thread: Missing magnet on spin on filter...

Default Missing magnet on spin on filter...

Ugh, did transmission fluid. There was no magnet on the filter.

Now I have to take it off and etc etc.

No big deal but mildly frustrating.
    GMC Sierra 2500hd 2004.5 now with ARP studs

Quote Originally Posted by gary_lucas View Post
    Ugh, did transmission fluid. There was no magnet on the filter.

Now I have to take it off and etc etc.

No big deal but mildly frustrating.
    A filtermag on the outside of the can is much more effective (larger and stronger and no need to clean when servicing. I run both.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    A filtermag on the outside of the can is much more effective (larger and stronger and no need to clean when servicing. I run both.
    If you don't align the polarity of both magnets, they are close enough to cancel themselves and catch nothing. I'm not sure if that's even possible with a cylindrical vs. flat-plane magnets in close proximity. The Filtermag polarizes the filter canister, which may have some affect on the flat magnet and its effectiveness.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.

Could be an interesting test to strap on a filtermag and the OEM magnet and hit the assembly with a handful of iron dust. Then flip the filtermag and do the same thing. Then flip the OEM magnet and do the same thing again. Then flip the filtermag one more time so all configurations have been tested and hit it with the iron dust again. Really the only way to see if rolling your eyes is appropriate or not...

Given that I'm sticking with the OEM magnet, I'll not be the one to run the test.

Talking

Nice, I already bought the OEM magnet will put in shortly.

The funny part was that when I was poking around in the gunk trying to figure out if the magnet had fallen into the transmission fluid catch pan I was thinking: "I wonder if you could slap a giant magnet on the outside of this thing..."

Then Kennedy comes up with: "A filtermag on the outside of the can is much more effective (larger and stronger and no need to clean when servicing. I run both."

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    If you don't align the polarity of both magnets, they are close enough to cancel themselves and catch nothing. I'm not sure if that's even possible with a cylindrical vs. flat-plane magnets in close proximity. The Filtermag polarizes the filter canister, which may have some affect on the flat magnet and its effectiveness.
    Interesting question on polarity of the two magnets. One test would be to hold the OEM Allison magnet and Filter Mag in approximately the same orientation they would be on the filter and see if they attract each other. If not flip the OEM magnet and try again. The North/South poles of the OEM magnet should be the top and bottom of the disc and the poles of the Filter Mag bar magnets would be at the top and bottom of assembly. If that’s the case and assuming the poles of the two magnets were aligned, then the combined magnetic fields would be channeled through the filter case. The next time I change my Allison Filter I’ll test it out with a Filter Mag and report back.
    Bill
    03 2500HD D/A CC/SB/4WD,OilGuard, MegaFilter,LiftPump/PreFilter, Bilsteins,RetraxRollTop,J&J Boards,Coolant Filter,AlliDeepPan,FastIdle,AllHeadLightsOn,
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD

The factory magnet is on a horizontal plane and has the thick steel base between it and the "can" of the filter. It is also a relatively weak magnet especially compared to the Filtermag setup.

The filtermag magnets are on a vertical plane and I'd estimate 1/2" below the base and also outward by same or more.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

Do you put filtermags on the oil + trans spin on filters? What about the transpan? (That's aluminum so probably not).

Also, there was a square of 'sludge' that didn't come off terribly well when I did the pan. I just wiped it clean but didn't otherwise mess with it. I was more interested in not introducing new contaminants that dragging everything out.

I run them on oil and fuel filters as well.

The OE trans pan is steel with an aluminized type of coating. Filtermag does make a flat type for trans pans that I have used before. Inside the Allison pan is a small square of magnetic film like a flexible magnetic sign or refrigerator sports schedule is made of.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner