Thread: New diesel owner also new 5th wheel owner

Default New diesel owner also new 5th wheel owner

Hi I am new to the forum. I just ordered a 2017 forest river cedar creek 38fl6 5 th wheel. 18000, lbs gross. 14,200 dry. Ok I also bought a 2016 Chevy 2500 HD 6.6 diesel. My plan is to tow cross country once and then it will be parked in Maine. I am putting a auto slide highjacker hitch also ordered the air ride on the trailer any thoughts on the combo???

Rugdude,
    I would want a 3500 duly with that rig. I have a 95 AutoMate 36ft and I towed it with a 2500 and it was white knuckle all the way. I now have a 3500 duly and it is an enjoyable tow.

I left out of San Jose, CA to Nevada, then on to Utah to Bryce and North Rim. From there to Santa Fe, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Tennessee. Then up to Virginia and back to Tennessee. Duramax/Alison is a big difference over the 6.5 in my 94 K2500. But the main thing is stopping ability and more rubber on the ground under a trailer that size.

Have you run the weight numbers on that rig? I was running 21,500 gross down the highway. And what are your home state license requirements? A rig that big you will be looking at a non commercial class A probably. Its not worth the hassle towing out of class if some idiot short stops in front of you or any other accident happens.

Another good place to look is RV.net
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Arrow

I agree. WAY too much for any SRW truck. The auto-slide hitch alone will eat up a LOT of the axle capacity. The OEM suspension won't handle the pin weight, and the tires/wheels aren't rated for it. That trailer is borderline for a 3500HD, if it isn't outright over. With a GVWR over 15K, it requires a CDL to operate. It will also be over the GCWR, which means, if you get stopped, you don't go any further. It doesn't matter what your actual weight is. They write the ticket according to the rating, and you'll be prohibited from continuing (impounded, until suitable tow rig arrives, accompanied by appropriate storage fees). Going across the country with it would surely be a National Lampoon adventure. If a dealer lets you out of the lot with it, I'd be surprised. It's so not-close they can't even fudge it. More truck (a LOT more), or less trailer (a LOT less). Anything else is your Youtube moment waiting to happen.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Rugdude,

Welcome to TDP, you won't find better Duramax information anyplace.
    Don't be afraid to ask questions, TDP members very friendly have an incredible amount of knowledge.

I agree with a5150nut and DmaxMaverick. You need a duly to safely tow a 38' trailer.

I have a 38' Forest River, Sandpiper, 5th wheel and I tow it with a CCDRW 2006 Duramax Silverado. My truck does just fine towing the 38' 5th wheel, but on a windy day it can still get pushed around pretty good even with the dual wheels. A 2500HD, short bed, SRW truck will definitely be a hand full with a 38' 5th wheel on the back. I also suggest that you check the weight rating on the factory tires after you load up the trailer and get the axle weights from a certified scale.

I am not being negative about your plans, I just want to see you enjoy your travels and return home safe. I love traveling and I am sure that you will also.

Good luck
    John
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .