Thread: Power potential of AMG P400

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Power potential of AMG P400

I am new the GM diesel world and have done some lurking on here and other sites about the 6.5. I was wondering about the power potential of the new P400. Can more power be made reliably or is it just to fix the flaws of the older models for better reliabilty. I know the 6.5 is not comaparable the the Cummins or Duramax for power. I do not have dreams of 800hp and 1200ft.lbs. Maybe 300 to 350hp and 600 to 650ft.lbs of torque.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Stroh

Arrow

Aside from the cast-iron block girdle, there were a number of other substantive upgrades that were designed to increase engine strength and improve durability. For example, the new forged-steel crankshaft is one of the more significant upgrades, but AMG also redesigned the connecting rods to add strength and the piston oil spray cooling nozzles/design were also upgraded both to improve cooling and not affect block strength. This allowed AMG to upgrade the factory power rating to 250....

Till the hot-rodders among us begin experimenting with power, we may not know the ultimate power potential. However, one limiting factor is the fuel injection system. Whether DB2/DB4/DS4, there are finite limits to the amount of fuel that can be injected - unlike the common-rail systems used on the Duramax. Doesn't matter what sort of performance injectors you might opt to use, the IP can only deliver so much fuel, which is about an absolute max of 90mm3/1000 strokes at 2000-rpm. These IP's are designed (and DS's programmed) to reduce fuel at higher engine rpms where big hp numbers are typically produced (up to 40% less fuel at 3400-rpm when compared to the 2000-rpm max).

Propane????

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 01-29-2009 at 13:10. Reason: add to

I remember a link to the 6.2 powered tractor. I believe he had done a twin mechanical setup? How about that for working? Once cooling has been adressed, if you could deliver twice the fuel through a dual setup, would that not help? Or is it the PSI that we are needing here.
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 Detroit Diesel View Post
    I remember a link to the 6.2 powered tractor. I believe he had done a twin mechanical setup? How about that for working? Once cooling has been adressed, if you could deliver twice the fuel through a dual setup, would that not help? Or is it the PSI that we are needing here.
    Pressure is determined by the injectors, not the pump. The pump supplies the fuel volume, and times delivery.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

So the injection pump is the weak link? I suppose since it is a standyne pump a bosch pump won't work. I suppose if it was easy enough to do it would have been evident from what I have read so far.

Are there any manufacturers looking into a bigger pump?

Thanks

Stroh

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by stroh View Post
    So the injection pump is the weak link? I suppose since it is a standyne pump a bosch pump won't work. I suppose if it was easy enough to do it would have been evident from what I have read so far.

Are there any manufacturers looking into a bigger pump?

Thanks

Stroh
    It's a "distributor type" pump, so it has to be designed/configured for the specific engine. If it were only a pressure pump, anything that would fit could work.

Simple answer: No. However, pumps are available that will exceed the capabilities of the engine for on-road use (such as the marine DB-4/HO).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com