Thread: newbie questions

Default newbie questions

I 'm looking to buy a 85 cucv k-30 with a 6.2 liter diesel in it. I wanted to know what upgrades are availabe out there. I know banks makes the sidewinder kit, but does anybody else offer anything? Can these trucks benefit from marine injectors? Or does somebody manufacture bigger injectors for it? I'm new to GM diesels and wanted to know how to get power out of these engines. Any info i can get would be wonderful. Thanks

I think what you'll find is that with the gearing that the CUCV is going to have all the power you want.

What are your intentions with the rig?

I'd start with the regular maintenance, change all the fluids, and fix all the leaks, fix any starting/charging issues that are common to military rigs and get used to the 6.2.

There are several options for more power, but you're best doing some searches here on the forum and reading what other's have done that best meets your needs.

They mainly include

air intake mods
    turbocharging (which kit is the question)
    exhaust mods

All the above lead to turning up the fuel a 'lil bit.

Enjoy, keep us posted.

ok, thanks for the help and the info on some common issues. I'm going to use the truck for mostly off road, but would still like to keep it street legal. Since is already has 4.56's and a detroit locker, i was thinking of shackle flipping it and adding a 4 inch lift. Hopefully i can clear 37's then. I was looking into power adding options because I know power is easily gained by changing injectors, fuel stop plates, and upgrading turbo's in more modern diesels. Thanks