Thread: Glow plug relay

Default Glow plug relay

I have a 1982 k20 chev 4x4. I recently put in a bypass button for the glow plugs. When I first turn the key on and hit the button I here it click and the glow plug light comes, I hold it for about 6 or 7 seconds, if the truck doesn't start the first time, when I turn the key again there is no clicking or lite. The relay on the drivers side inner fender has a 2 prong plug on the side of it. I hooked one of the wires to the s terminal on the bypass.If I jump the relay with a 12 gauge wire to both the large posts on the relay the like comes on but no clicking and the truck will start after a couple of tries. Is there something I did wrong? Thanks for any help.

Arrow

Which relay are you using? The OEM? Most success is had with a Ford starter relay (cheap).

If you are shorting the two large posts, there will be no clicking. You are bypassing the relay, entirely. If you apply 12V to the small pole and it doesn't engage, then the relay is bad, or it isn't getting good power (ground?). The system is very simple.

If you want an automatic GP system, use the 1985+ controller, and ditch the 82 controller system entirely. You can still add a manual override to it (just switch 12V to the small pole). If you want a manual only system, use a Ford starter relay, and ditch the 82 system. Either way, trying to keep the original controller usually ends in an exercise in futility.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I'd recommend the 1985+ controller, did that to my truck and it works great!