Thread: Fumoto valve

Default Fumoto valve

Has anyone ever had a problem with a Fumoto valve leaking?

Driving from Kingman AZ to northern Nevada as I was leaving Las Vegas we went to switch drivers and noticed engine oil on left running board and fender. Looked under the truck and there was oil on the trans filter, trans pan, and all over middle and left underside of truck.

Limped to a station and bought oil and paper towels. Took 2 quarts. Wiped down the underside and crammed a little piece of paper towel in the drain on Fumoto valve. Every 50 miles or so stopped to check for leaks and nothing since all the way to Battle Mountain.

2006 K3500 D/A
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Arrow

Weird... I hadn't heard of a Fumoto leaking. The oil level sensor is located partway up on the driver's side of the oil pan. That sensor is sealed using a simple o-ring as I recall.

The 2006 uses a closed crankcase ventilation system. A faulty vent system could allow pressure to build in the crankcase, which could push oil out somewhere. Dunno...

Hi,

I've had the same Fumoto on my Dmax (moved it from the '01 to the '09 before trading) for 13 years with no problems.

FWIW.
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71
    Cedar Creek Silverback 33RL Fifth Wheel
    In The Past: '82 6.2 Jimmy Blazer, '93 6.5 GMC K-2500, '01 DMAX K-2500, '09 DMAX K-2500

The only mechanical issue that I have ever had claimed to me has been the valve being stuck in position before install. This is juts a case of weak hands and the valve not being installed as once the valve was installed and leverage gained it was a non issue.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Arrow

I have several of those valves in use, including on my 2001. I've also installed a dozen or so on other's vehicles. Never an issue.

If a leak started, then stopped, it's likely something else. I don't see how the Fumoto valve could start to leak on its own, then stop. Maybe the oil level sensor, as Jim said.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Well seeing I just got this truck last Friday I don't know the history on it. But when I layed under the truck the valve is at the front of the oil mess. And after I stuffed some paper towel in the stem of the valve there were no more leaks for the next 1000 miles getting home.

Tomorrow in the daylight I will take another look and clean the underside of the truck and remove the plug from the valve to see what develops.

Other than that I love this truck. Drives like a dream and the Allison is not like the old automatics at all. Still reach for the hand grip once in a while to shift but I can get used to this!
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Default Mystery solved for fumoto valve

Picked up a new drain plug today and switched out the Fumoto valve. After I got the Fumoto out and cleaned up I found tool marks on the spout. Looks almost like vice grips or pliers. Looked inside and the opening wasn't right. It also did not move with the lever.Got out the proper wrench to fit the snout and removed it. Ball inside was not lined up like it should be. The grove the stem rests in was sideways.

My guess is the dealer had not seen one of these before and pulled the snout off to drain the oil. Didn't realise the ball went back in a certain way and just stuffed it all back together. Vibration allowed the ball to rotate slightly and that created the leak. I think it was the groove for the stem that was letting the oil pass. Next oil change I will give it another try. . . . . .

Sure made a mess of the underside of the truck. Wiped down a lot while under there. Will call for another trip to car wash and a liberal dose of Simple Green before hand.
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Default Fumoto valve

I have 365K miles on mine. You will want to replace the valve if you do your own oil changes.
    2003 GMC 2500HD D/A CC SLT 4x4 H2 wheels
    2014 Chevy Cruze 2.0 TD

Thumbs down

What is a Fumoto valve, and what is it's intended function? I'm assuming it is an add-on.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by bcarson View Post
    What is a Fumoto valve, and what is it's intended function? I'm assuming it is an add-on.
    It's an oil pan drain valve. A ball valve with an available extended nipple, which is beneficial to help prevent messy drains if you have skid plates that collect drain oil as you drain. Good upgrade, IMO.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    It's an oil pan drain valve. A ball valve with an available extended nipple, which is beneficial to help prevent messy drains if you have skid plates that collect drain oil as you drain. Good upgrade, IMO.
    Also beneficial if you are doing extended oil changes , makes it real easy to take a sample without a lot of mess.

You can see one on Kennedy's site. One of the vendors here on TDP.
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold