Thread: safe temps

Default safe temps

Still trying to figure out my new to me 06. It has an edge evolution installed. (don't flame me thats what was on it)
    What are the safe temps for these duramax's. Or I should say, what should I not exceed?
    EGT, boost, transmission, oil etc..
    Is there a posted chart somewhere?
    93 K2500 ext cab<br />Boldly going where few have gone before...water injection! (sold)

fixajet,

I also have the edge evolution and I almost never use it as a power improver. I do love it for the data link and the alarm setting for warning you when you exceed the temperature limits you preset. When I use the edge programmer for more power my EGT gets high very quickly. I do not like replacing burnt pistons so the info from the edge is a big help in extending engine life. I am planning to buy a Kennedy Diesel custom tune with the exhaust brake option added and keeping the edge data link. If you watch the gauges when you are towing in hot weather the EGT goes up first then the coolant then the oil and finally the ATF. The EGT drops quickly if you lift your rt foot the coolant and oil will cool slowly and the ATF stays hot for a very long time. If you do a DP search around 2009 Mark Riner compared several power programmers on his LBZ 06 and also discussed the temperature issues. I try to keep my EGT below 1325, the coolant/oil since they share the same coolant stack run up to 230 and then clutch fan engages and they quickly drop to 210. The ATF is the one that always bothers me because it has always been slow to cool, it will occasionally get up to 220+ on hot days in the mountains.

The best real world info would be to look at Marks postings about the temperature issues with his LBZ, 06. I also would recommend in the hot weather to unplug the edge at the gauge pod when not towing and store it in the glove box out of the sun. The LCD on my edge started to fade from the AZ sun/heat.

Good luck
    John
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .