Thread: Filter housing primer

Default Filter housing primer

Should the primer alway have pressure when you check the primer or do you have to pump it for pressure?
    ORDERED 1-15-03 ARRIVED 2-10-03= 03/2500HD/D/A/EXT.CAB LT/ LONG BOX/4X4/CARBON METALLIC/ONSTAR/ TTT CAMPER MIRRORS/WESTIN BOARDS WITH LITES/HUSKY FLOOR LINERS/PRO FIT FLAPS/ACCESS TONNO/LINEX BED RAILS/ FUMOTO OIL DRAIN VALVE,
    BEDRUG/BILSTEIN SHOCKS/ ISSPRO EGT GAUGE/RED LINE LUBE, BANKS EXHAUST BRAKE. GALAXY 929 CB/ WILSON 1000.KENNEDY LIFT PUMP.

Arrow

It will only have "pressure" after you pump it. Under normal operation (after running), the system is not pressurized. The pump is there for filling the filter after a change, and priming the high pressure pump, which is not self-priming. The OEM fuel system is suction from the tank to the engine-mounted high pressure pump, so any pressure you pump into it reverts to vacuum as soon as the engine is started, or attempts to start.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thank you very much, i always thought the same as your answer. I will print this out and give it to a couple of so called service tech's.
    ORDERED 1-15-03 ARRIVED 2-10-03= 03/2500HD/D/A/EXT.CAB LT/ LONG BOX/4X4/CARBON METALLIC/ONSTAR/ TTT CAMPER MIRRORS/WESTIN BOARDS WITH LITES/HUSKY FLOOR LINERS/PRO FIT FLAPS/ACCESS TONNO/LINEX BED RAILS/ FUMOTO OIL DRAIN VALVE,
    BEDRUG/BILSTEIN SHOCKS/ ISSPRO EGT GAUGE/RED LINE LUBE, BANKS EXHAUST BRAKE. GALAXY 929 CB/ WILSON 1000.KENNEDY LIFT PUMP.

Arrow

Suggest this to the "service techs":

(Engine off) Install the diagnostic fuel pressure monitor tool (gage) to the fuel system diagnostic service port. Monitor static fuel system pressure. Pump fuel filter assembly prime pump, until positive pressure is indicated on the monitor. Start engine. Observe the indicated fuel pressure. Stop engine. Pump the fuel filter assembly prime pump. Observe the indicated fuel pressure. Repeat procedure as necessary until the normal system operation is realized.

I really hope you aren't paying for diagnostic time while the "service techs" try to figure out why the low pressure fuel system isn't retaining pressure.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

I paid one time and when the answer was not right i left. The problem i am having comes and goes. Truck starts perfect when cold, when warm sometimes after sitting 5 t0 10 minutes it will start and die immediately, then crank it 5 or 6 seconds and then runs great, you never know when it is going to do it. On long trips with the 5th wheel it does not do it, on short trips around town or to the store it will do it but not all the time. 3 months ago i put new batteries in it because they showed good but low, they were 7 years old. After putting the new batteries in the truck never missed a beat for 3 months, ran perfect. Had the alternator checked and it was perfect. Now after 3 months it started in again, both cat filters are fresh and the water separator is clean. Any ideas? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by DIESEL/VETTE View Post
    I paid one time and when the answer was not right i left. The problem i am having comes and goes. Truck starts perfect when cold, when warm sometimes after sitting 5 t0 10 minutes it will start and die immediately, then crank it 5 or 6 seconds and then runs great, you never know when it is going to do it. On long trips with the 5th wheel it does not do it, on short trips around town or to the store it will do it but not all the time. 3 months ago i put new batteries in it because they showed good but low, they were 7 years old. After putting the new batteries in the truck never missed a beat for 3 months, ran perfect. Had the alternator checked and it was perfect. Now after 3 months it started in again, both cat filters are fresh and the water separator is clean. Any ideas? Thank you

You say Both CAT filters. I am aware of the Nick tane addapter, are you running a pre filter back by the tank also? Or have you checked for any vacuume leaks in the fuel line?

I bought my truck with a CAT filter near the tank and am concidering putting in one of Kenedy's fuel pumps to help prevent the problem you seem to be having. Something like this?
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Yes i run a cat prefilter by the tank also.

Yes i run a cat prefilter by the tank also.

Is it the same setup as the pic I posted? I am trying to find out who made them. It was on the truck when I bought it and I can't find anything like it any where.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

My rear filter housing with the built in primer i got at cat dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by a5150nut View Post
    Is it the same setup as the pic I posted? I am trying to find out who made them. It was on the truck when I bought it and I can't find anything like it any where.

The system that you have was made by a guy from CA who started a revolution years back to form the Diesel Place after crying oppression and censorship here. I commented further in my Forum section here.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

With the starting problem i have the only code i keep getting is a p1626, does anyone have any ideas as to what this is telling me.

Arrow

With the starting problem i have the only code i keep getting is a p1626, does anyone have any ideas as to what this is telling me.
    Theft deterrent system, and/or BCM communication issues. Either will shut off fuel, or more appropriately, prevent the enabling of fuel.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

What do you recommend i do, is there parts that can be replaced or is this a dealer thing, by the way, i really appreciate you taking your time to help me. Thank you. I have two cat 2 micron filters on my truck, one on the engine and one by the tank, i was told to relace the filter by the tank with a 10 micron filter and my problem would go away, so i will do this today or when it quits raining. I'll try anything. Thank you.

Arrow

My recommendation... go back to stock with your fuel filter system, or add a lift pump to help reduce the negative impacts of adding more restriction in the fuel supply.

Cat's been in the filter business a long time. I don't necessarily see anything wrong with using a Cat fuel filter. But... GM and all diesel pickup manufacturers put their factory fuel filter in the engine compartment for a couple of very good reasons.
    1- Fuel waxing or gelling in cold climates.
    2- Ease of fuel filter service.

Finding fuel filter replacements while traveling is an important consideration. While we should all carry an extra fuel filter in our travel kits anyway, a non-standard fuel filter could be harder to locate than a factory OEM fuel filter that at the very least can be bought from any GM dealer.

We've tried to tease out the facts about the benefits of additional fuel filtration here in this forum by running a survey asking truck owners what their experience has been with their truck's injectors over the long haul when running additional fuel filters. The results of the survey were not clear. Injectors still failed with or without additional fuel filtration.

If injector failure rates can be traced to particle contamination of the fuel, additional filtration should help. On the other hand, if injector failures are largely due to some other factor, like wear, additional fuel filters won't help. I suspect the answer is somewhere in the middle, but it's just not clear.
    Jim