Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMG/GEP 6.5 blocks

Interestingly enough, all the internal passages of the block are the same size as the early squirt blocks with the 3/8" pipe threaded ports.

My 95 truck had a 96 squirt block (early 506) and it had the 3/8 ports.

As soon as you go into the block past the fitting, the passages are the same as the early ones.

The cooler bypass and the filter bypass are the same on all the blocks as are the inner passage plugs.

The whole cooler plumbing change is a bit of an enigma, as the block is still the narrow point.

I have seen several of the late blocks hooked up with the early coolers and using the early style lines with no ill effects.

If you have the option to use a cooler with larger ports, I would do it.

My fresh AMG Block for the DaHooooley is getting the early lines and fittings as I already bought new ones prior to getting the late block.

I am thinking that in very cold climates where the oil can get like MUD, that the larger cooler/lines would be better.

I ran a high cap oil pump on a none squirt block for a year with no apparent adverse effects. Just makes a BUTTLOAD of oil pressure.

80 PSI down the road and Idles at 40 hot.

Other than in Cold weather, it was great. In low temps the pressure would peg the gauge.

IMHO in a moderate climate, I would not worry at all.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Default Fraudulent Rebuilder

GEP doe's not have rebuilders per VP of GEP Marketing via email.

Michael
    94 Chevy 6.5 Turbo HD 2500 Flat Bed-Dump-FOR SALE
    BD Power - 4 inch exhaust and Downpipe, Towing chip
    FSD cooler relocated and vented behind d/s battery
    Jet Performance built 4L80E-HD deep pan
    410 semi-float rear axle
    Many other add ons.

93 Chevy k3500 HD- Single Rear Full Float Axle-Project

Default 2009 6.5 military pull out

I am leaning towards getting a gep 2009 6.5 military long motor pullout from teds trucks n stuff, to retro fit my 1984 GMC jimmy 6.2
    I am not sure off what it consists of as they say side mount turbo or centre mount turbo, i am assuming that they are all turbo. I wont be running a turbo so will it mean the engine will have the large pre cups as i want the small ones.
    If it does run the large pre cups can i use the small ones out of my 1984 6.2 for better response and economy.
    Would it be ok to hook up and go as they say that they are inspected and tested or is that wishful thinking.
    Has any one else used one of these motors they claim 10 to 40K use, the price makes it a serious option against a new one for such and old truck.
    Thanks for any replies hanging out to get jimmy cruising again

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by pwood View Post
    I am leaning towards getting a gep 2009 6.5 military long motor pullout from teds trucks n stuff, to retro fit my 1984 GMC jimmy 6.2
    I am not sure off what it consists of as they say side mount turbo or centre mount turbo, i am assuming that they are all turbo. I wont be running a turbo so will it mean the engine will have the large pre cups as i want the small ones.
    If it does run the large pre cups can i use the small ones out of my 1984 6.2 for better response and economy.
    Would it be ok to hook up and go as they say that they are inspected and tested or is that wishful thinking.
    Has any one else used one of these motors they claim 10 to 40K use, the price makes it a serious option against a new one for such and old truck.
    The turbo HMMWV engines all used the center-mount turbos. You can block off the oil feed port at the back of the engine valley to use it NA. The older pre-cups should fit the new heads, but you won't know till the parts are disassembled and measured. By the way, if this is a turbo engine, the heads won't accept your civilian intake manifold. The HMMWV intake bolts on differently.

Do you know if this is the P400?

Jim

Default mizer

I have bought several 6.5 cast# 506 "optimizer" with Navistar heads(GEP is manufacturing their own heads now).
    It is a Longblock-not a complete engine, no turbo, intake, exhaust etc. The center mounts turbos or for specific apps, and usually cost more and require fabrications. It is not a"Plug and Play" swap especially in a 84. The pre cups are a whole different topic and much consideration.Ted's is a credible outfit-but there is no warranty and if you dig into military surplus to compare or shop around which is always a wise option.
    Michael
    410 semi-float rear axle
    Many other add ons.

Default 6.5 optimizer military pull out

No i do not think it is a P400 engine, they refer you to there ebay site to look at the pictures, from what i can see its a optimizer 506 long block as i can see the 506 casting number.

I was looking at the truck stop site and they are all very positive about them, that is the engines and Teds Trucks and stuff.

When i rang Teds i talked to a woman named Margret who was a pleasure to deal with, she asked whether i wanted side mount or centre mount turbo. I said it will be N/A she replied you want the side mount then.

Do the military use N/A motors as well as turbo if not i am confused as these are military pull outs with low mileage, and she offered side or centre mount turbo

Thanks for the reply and any more coming

The small port precups "SHOULD" fit the AMG heads. BUTTTTTTTTTTTTT you wont know until you yank the heads and have a peek.

If they fit, the big issue is to make sure that they are not below the head deck when seated.
    Also, the cups can't protrude more the .002" above the deck.

All the rest of the stuff will fit except as Jim mentioned. The intake manifold on the HMMWV uses an intake that has the 60 degree intake bolts

You could use a HMMWV intake and be OK

The rest of the brackets will all fit.

Missy
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Arrow

Do the military use N/A motors as well as turbo if not i am confused as these are military pull outs with low mileage, and she offered side or centre mount turbo

Thanks for the reply and any more coming
    HMMWVs were available NA new from AMG through the mid 2000s. AMG eventually made them all TD because of performance issues in the desert (due to the sand and up-armor weight increases). So... if the engine was manufactured within that NA period it could be an NA motor. And, there are many NA HMMWVs in service around the world. AMG, I suspect, is still offering replacement engines without the turbo. Jim

Default Optimizer Repower Program

The engines the gentleman is discussing come from the “Military Re-Power Program” for 6.5 Optimizer #506 w/Navistar Heads re program that started when the second version of the "Optimizer” was released in 2004. The guidelines of the program are to replace all 6.2, GM 6.5's and early Optimizer's (with the latest version to date on continuing bases).
    The engines are removed and replaced with both NA and TD 6500 Optimizers- with “Non Navistar Heads”. AG/GEP blocks and heads are now produced by the Dalton Foundry in Indiana, because of quality control issues with the “international foundry” sometime back.
    It depends on the type Humvee which determines whether it's a NA or TD (Center Mount) application, the A2 series Humvees are all NA with 160hp and 4L80E’s and the ECV models use a 6.5-liter turbo diesel with 190 hp. The power of the Military 6.5 Optimizer hasn’t changed since it was introduced - their simple upgrading the engines under the re power program. The beauty or benefit this is that “we the civilian population” has access to the engines that come out of this program.

The NA engines accept GM intakes, side mount turbos etc, as already stated the center mount TD and the Super Charged Engines will not.The engines that are available to civilians come through the re power program have been "Land Locked" or they have never been out of the U.S border. However the same re power program exists in Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Hawaii etc, but they will probably never reach U.S soil again because of logistical expenses and permanent bases we have in the Middle East, Germany, U.K, Turkey.
    The NA and TD optimizer is used for several applications other than Humvees; the military and Manufacturers are using them to power generators, marine apps, building equipment, Postal and delivery vans etc, Caterpillar is using them in new equipment. Also the NA’s and TD’s are going in postal, Frito lay and other delivery vans.
    Also, AG/GEP has bought the rights to the 4l80E and manufacturing under “General Transmission Products” for the Humvee application.

A friend of mine in Norfolk, VA, is a contractor with the Langley Military Bases and has bought several lots of these engines mainly NA, which I've received several of them from him and plan to continue getting them it's the best thing available value wise.

Michael
    chevytrucksonly@windstream.net

Link

http://www.amgeneral.com/vehicles/hmmwv/a2-series
    http://www.amgeneral.com/vehicles/hmmwv/

http://www.nencinirettifiche.it/alle...zer%206500.PDF
    410 semi-float rear axle
    Many other add ons.

Default Gep

Humvees do come with NA and TC engines as I posted yesterday with links and specific data on the GEP and Military re power program. However the post seems to have disappeared?

Michael
    410 semi-float rear axle
    Many other add ons.

Default 6.5 optimizer

Thanks for the reply Micheal, are you saying that you have a source for these new generation 6.5 motors.

I am keen on any information in getting one shipped to Adelaide Australia. I have been looking at Teds and from what i hear good people, but if i get a dud i cant swap it for another.

Apart from pulling the heads and sump how can anyone really verify what it is my dying 6.2 starts easy has good oil pressure, just pressurising coolin system. Could be just the head gasket but would rather get new motor for reliability, without the historic problems.

Most likely its a head gasket on number 1 or 2 cylinder (two fronts)

The block decks erode over time and the gaskets soft material disintegrates and the fire ring goes way.

If the deck is good, a fresh set of gaskets and bolts (yup these are a one time use only) and you should be fine

Check the fire decks on the heads to be sure there are no cracks on them

The pre cups do crack, but they can be cracked in the port area up to about 3/16 inch back from the port mouth. It the cracks cross the fire ring of the gasket they are a no go.

Missy
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY