Thread: Best NEW Duramax CAT Fuel Filter

Default Best NEW Duramax CAT Fuel Filter

Helpful article that every Duramax owner should know.

Read at link Below:
    Best NEW Duramax CAT Fuel Filter | Diesel Addict

First, I am a diesel owner and driver and definitely not a technician. I do my own filter changes and have performed this task 14 times on my 2006 LBZ so far.

One problem I see with the add in the previous post concerns the statement " A better lift pump will even out the pressure in your fuel system".

I was under the impression that the fuel system in the Duramax was a vacuum system not a pressure system? Otherwise a leak during filter installation would result in leaking fuel vs getting air in the system.

Someone more knowledgeable than me please chime in here. I would agree that better filtration is a good thing, but this doesn't seem to be it to me.
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

Quote Originally Posted by EdHale View Post
    First, I am a diesel owner and driver and definitely not a technician. I do my own filter changes and have performed this task 14 times on my 2006 LBZ so far.

One problem I see with the add in the previous post concerns the statement " A better lift pump will even out the pressure in your fuel system".

I was under the impression that the fuel system in the Duramax was a vacuum system not a pressure system? Otherwise a leak during filter installation would result in leaking fuel vs getting air in the system.

Someone more knowledgeable than me please chime in here. I would agree that better filtration is a good thing, but this doesn't seem to be it to me.
    It's just words. You are correct, the Duramax fuel systems, all of them in stock trim, are "vacuum" from the tank to the engine-mounted fuel pump. However, also consider there is only "pressure", as far as nature is concerned . More or less, pressure is pressure. The word "vacuum" is used as a relative description of pressure, as it relates to ambient pressure. Meaning, if a pressure value is less than the pressure around it, it is termed vacuum, suction, or more appropriately, "depression". All 3 only mean "less pressure".

Keep in mind, this is an advertisement of a product for sale. I don't see a problem with the statement you quote, but it is out of context. That part follows a recommendation that a fuel lift be installed, as the OEM system doesn't have one. "Even out", appears to (correctly) mean that a lift pump will reduce the pressure differential created by more restrictive filter media. This feature may also require more frequent filter changes. The same performance can be achieved by larger media surface area, without the additional pressure differential. An advantage of larger media is velocity. "Slower" fuel flow allows the filter media to perform its function more efficiently and more economically, with less restriction, but comes at a cost.....size. What all this means to you, is for you to decide.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Arrow

This is so old news....

More than 10 years ago the forums were ablaze with "claims" of longer injector life if only Duramax owners used better fuel filters.

Problem.... Not a single manufacturer or vendor can produce diesel light-truck statistics that prove much of anything. Logic would seem to be on their side, but there's no data on actual injector life.

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to stick with has been working since my LBZ was new. A new filter every 10,000 miles regardless of what the DIC tells me.
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

Ed,

My 06 came with a CAT fuel filter mounted in the left rear wheel well. It had 17,500 on it when I picked it up and now has 42,000 on it. Been cross this nation 4 times since I picked it up twice towing and twice empty. Haven't touched the fuel filters yet.

When I get done on the house I want to add Kennedy fuel pump and change filters. New CAT rear and Donaldson up front.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold