Thread: 1990 454 to 1986 6.2 conversion

Default 1990 454 to 1986 6.2 conversion

I have a 1990 3+3 2wd, th400, 1 ton dually with a 454 that is shot, but the truck is in great condition.,,
    I also have a 1986 4wd Suburban with a 6.2 liter diesel ( not sure of tranny model, but is automatic also) with a bad rear end and body not in that good of shape..
    I would like to swap the 6.2 into the 1990 1 ton dually. I am not concerned with getting as much power as I did with the 454, but would sacrifice that for better fuel mileage.
    I have read that it is mostly a direct swap except for a few modifications I will have to make such as fuel filler neck, fuel pump,etc.
    I am on a tight budget but have plenty of time this winter and both vehicles complete.
    The 1 ton has the hydraulic brake boost and large radiator.
    I am wondering if this is a good swap and what problems I might run into
    converting from gas to diesel??
    Just looking for some feedback and some other converted vehicles and thier problems before I attempt this conversion, any replies would be appreciated..
    thanks

Hi
    It will be an easy swap.Everything will pretty much bolt in.
    Some different pieces between the two trucks you will have to change
    Fuel caps
    Tourque converter,trans governer
    Radiator
    You can simplify the wiring by building your own glowplug system,or change the engine bay wiring harness,possibly the under dash if you want the stock glowplug system.
    If you have some basic mechanical skills this is a doable swap for a weekend.Not to much to convert.
    Some things you may want new, like motor mounts the old ones are probley wore out .
    Lots of room to work in.
    You may want to freashen up the donar motor while it's out if you don't need the truck right away,head gaskets, oil seals, timing chain,injectors tested and balanced,glow plugs,waterpump,ect.
    Any how that touches a few things,i'm sure you will get a few items i missed by some of the others on the site.
    Great Truck,i have two,am looking for a couple more for parts,i want to drive it till i die,NO STINKING COMPUTER
    Get a preasure washer so you can give everything a good bath befor you start and after you get the motor out.
    Have Fun
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Default 454 to 6.2 conversion

thanks a bunch for the info Yukon. I have a bit of time and plenty of mechanical skills. I will make sure the 6.2 is worthy of installation before I do anything. I am also going to drive my truck till it dies, love my "cowboy caddillac".
    I will post any more things that come up as I do this swap and will also post some pics of the operation as I go.
    I have also read about the vrv (GM #14057219) to mount to the fuel pump on th 6.2 so I can have vacume for the tranny. Is this what you refer to as trans governor? or something else?
    starting my project in a couple of weeks.

Hi
    You should have a vacume pump on the back of the 6.2,it resides in the same place as the distributer on the gasser.
    The trans govener is inside the trans but easily accessed,on one side the pass i belive you will see a round cover held by a spring retainer,Just remove the round cover and pull out the assembly behind it,there will be a set of weights on arms that swing out with a plastic gear on the end.That is the govener.
    Look at the oil pans on both the trans,if they are the same shape you have the same trans in both,then you can just switch the govener and tourque converter from the sub.
    Very minor details
    Good luck Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews