Thread: AMG/GEP 250hp 6.5

Default AMG/GEP 250hp 6.5

Anyone have information on where these engines can be aquired I am interested in getting one for a replacement down the road in my truck I am planning to RV hot shot with I was considering a duramax swap but simplicity is sweet and 6.2/6.5s have it all and with my nv4500 im sure 550 ft lbs of torque it will tow with the big boys all day long
    1982 chevy k30 srw P400 6500/nv4500 first car/mid life crisis till I die
    2013 chevy impala ltz loaded wifes new car

2002 nissan maxima gas sipper

Quote Originally Posted by Vin82k3500 View Post
    Anyone have information on where these engines can be aquired I am interested in getting one for a replacement down the road in my truck I am planning to RV hot shot with I was considering a duramax swap but simplicity is sweet and 6.2/6.5s have it all and with my nv4500 im sure 550 ft lbs of torque it will tow with the big boys all day long
    My internet resources are somewhat limited here in northern maine

Peninsular diesel is an authorized dealer or you can go directly to General engine power products in Reno

Peninsular advertises here at TDP

Beware of other internet sales outfits that advertise "Genuine AMG Blocks" and such

Another supplier is "Williams", not sure of the complete name of the company.

GEP will sell directly to you and ship it to your door, or you can have them drop it at a shipping terminal for you to pick up if need be.

Now, dont get all excited about "Pulling with the big boys" the Optimizer 6500 is not at all a bad engine but, these engines are never gonna run with the Big dogs, not with the serious power that they can make.

Even a stock Dmax is head and shoulders above the level of the 6.5.

With some serious mods and very judicious use of the power that can be found, one can get close to base levels of a Dmax "Maybe" the trick is keeping the little beast alive while you are doing it.

A word of caution ** When you stuff in that new iron, be sure to install a BRAND NEW Visteon radiator along with the HO water pump and dual stat cross over (if your engine does not have it.

Hot shottin can be a good little business, but I myself would not use a 6.5 to do it with.

IMHO forget the pickup truck program and snoop around and scrounge up a little business class toy hauler from Freightliner or Navistar. Something with a 300HP Cat, Cummins or an IH engine

With this sort of rig you will have more rig than you need and it will not be used to the max to get the job done.

Now just for $hits and giggles, give this a thought. For not much more than the price of that new 6.5 you can scare up a good used single screw tractor, say maybe a KW, Pete or Freightliner with a 350 and a 10 speed. These can be found with a nice condo on them and DIRT CHEAP too.

Just add a trailer hitch to the Butt end of the little critter that will allow hooking up bumper pulls and you can have a small 5th wheel setep also to allow the bigger trailers.

This sort of rig will handle just about anything you will encounter and you will never over tax the running gear.

I went through 4 pickups back wehn we were doing horse stuff. Trying to find something that could handle the 40 foot horsie hauler was a PITA. Had a GMC with the 6.5, then a Dodge with a V10 and finally a Ford with the 7.3 stroke.

They were all a sorry lot and never did get the job done to my satisfaction.

I wished many times that I had spent the $$$ the first time and bought a business class truck (toy hauler) and been done with it.

Just some thoughts

Good luck

Missy
    Last edited by Robyn; 09-02-2011 at 06:59.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

thanks Missy I think i will consider the duramx swap then since in my area I can buy donors for less then most 200k mile 6.5s lb7s i can get for dirt compared to any 6.5 I dont want a big truck because if I am not towing I just want to be driving a pickup this truck sits on a custom frame that is larger than most but the truck itself empty could fit on a uhaul auto transport though a heavier engine and it may be to heavy to haul on that small of a trailer I have had a taste of hot shotting with the 4.3 and its only short comming was 25 to 70 accelleration in congested high speed traffic and big hills it still did it but was kinda hard beating it so bad to make it get the job done but more than anything I like the nimble 131 inch wheel base with the creature comforts just for me I am 38 and have had this truck since i was 15 and cant get used to annother truck

what i meant by pulling with the big boys was that I was assuming an engine with 250 hp and 550 lb ft of torque and a manual transmission should be realatively comparable to a stock cummins or lower powered duramax not saying im gonna pull 327 feet in the 8000 lb modified classor even 270 for that matter but I do appreciate all the food for thought im considdering getting a truck for a donmor have pondered all week the price is right on a beat up 03 farm truck I was considering saving for the 6.5 gep engine to keep the simplicity but it sounds like i will be better off buying the duramax

The only downside to the Dmax is having to completely rewire the underhood and dash with the harness from the donor truck.

Missy
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

WW Williams is the authorized distributor for GEP

Look into the GEP P-400...souped version of the 6.5...pretty bomb proof!
    95 Suburban 1500 Bone Stock Orig.
    purchased at 103K from first owner
    new alternator/autozone gold @104K
    re-trannyed with shift kit @107.5K
    new Bilsteins all around @ 127K
    Kennedy exhaust @128k ..zoom!
    new lift pump w/OPS bypass @ 130K
    Kennedy FSD cooler @ 135K
    New IP/Injectors/G-plugs @ 137k
    Another autozone alternator and Optima Reds @ 150K
    Another pump and injectors @157K
    New chain and gears @157K
    HO pump single therm setup @157K (will see what happens)
    Head gasket or worse to be determined...164k
    NEW AM General 6.5 installed and running well! @ 164K!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    The only downside to the Dmax is having to completely rewire the underhood and dash with the harness from the donor truck.

Missy
    I would rather completley rewire than botch and mutilate my frame and have to lift it to put a clatery cummins in place of my 6.2 that is so quiet I have to watch out that full service pump attendants dont put gas in it it has happened 7 times so far

Quote Originally Posted by rameye View Post
    WW Williams is the authorized distributor for GEP

Look into the GEP P-400...souped version of the 6.5...pretty bomb proof!
    thak you this si where my interest is I will be looking seriously

Default Off topic..

I see you're a Mainer...

Used to spend my summers out on Caribou Lake...above Kokadjo and Lily bay....over by Senator Muskie's place.

What an awsome place...totally jealous!!
    95 Suburban 1500 Bone Stock Orig.
    purchased at 103K from first owner
    new alternator/autozone gold @104K
    re-trannyed with shift kit @107.5K
    new Bilsteins all around @ 127K
    Kennedy exhaust @128k ..zoom!
    new lift pump w/OPS bypass @ 130K
    Kennedy FSD cooler @ 135K
    New IP/Injectors/G-plugs @ 137k
    Another autozone alternator and Optima Reds @ 150K
    Another pump and injectors @157K
    New chain and gears @157K
    HO pump single therm setup @157K (will see what happens)
    Head gasket or worse to be determined...164k
    NEW AM General 6.5 installed and running well! @ 164K!!!!!

nice indeed born and bread moved away 10 years ago moved back last year

Got any pics of your 82' to share? Looks like a beaut.
    1997 GMC 1500 Sierra 6.5td, auto, 6" dick cepek lift, 35" ssr swampers on pro comp wheels. J code intake, AFE stage 2 cold air intake, wester's perf flash, marine injectors, 4" exhaust w/ 2.5" x-over, more to come...

1988 Chevy Blazer Banks Turbo'd 6.2/700r4, 4" lift, 33" dick cepek f/c tires, Banks stinger exhaust, waaaay more to come...

sorry have not checked this thread in a while I have lits of pics of the ol girl shes under the knife once again but i got many pics was my first truck im on the edge of 39 and I have had her since I was 14 will see what I can get on here in some order