Thread: My fuel economy problems are over.

Default My fuel economy problems are over.

I found a switch that converts it to super economy mode! hahahhahaa
    Just tipped 6000 miles. Over the last 150 miles or so, DIC has shown major improvements in mileage. Where DIC used to tell me I struggled to make 17.3, for the last 250 miles or so, that number has gone up. Way up. The last 3 drives to work and back(on different days), DIC says 18.5! Woohoo! As the road opens up, I'm tickling 19mpg. Best showing on DIC is 18.9. This is empty, CC single wheel K3500. If I had no traffic, I know I could top 19. Amazing as it is, what's even more weird is the fact this improvement seems to have come seemingly overnight. These improvements came some 2 weeks after an old post I put up about being somewhat disappointed about the mileage. I've been tracking this to see if it's real and it is. (if I calculate Fuel Used v. Trip A it's usually within .5mpg). I've been resetting Average Econ with every fillup as per someones recommendation and it's been working good.
    NOW I'm impressed. VERY impressed. These numbers aren't from pure effort either. I haven't excatly been driving with the egg under my foot, but I also haven't been heavy into the pedal. I've gingerly driven this truck to work before in the early miles and couldn't manage these numbers. Seems it's finally started "loosening" up. And all this with my awesome heated seats, auto darkening side mirror and SUNROOF!
    Speed costs money. How fast can you afford?

Talking

Interesting. I have never had that problem, as my trucks have all be DIC-less, leaving me to calculate by hand on each tank, or at least each trip.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Switch from winter blend to summer?
    83 C10 Suburban, Silverado, 6.2, 700R4, 3.73, 31-10.50R15
    82 C30 Crew Cab dually, 6.2, Banks, Th400, 4.10, Gear Vendors, 235-85R16
    83 C20 Suburban, Sierra Classic, 6.2, 700R4, 4.10, custom paint, 285-50R20
    95 Yukon, 6.5, 4L80E, 3.42, 265-50R20
    73 GMC Astro 95, 8V71, 10 speed Roadranger, 110" WB, 6 each 11R24.5

Quote Originally Posted by Craig M
    I was thinking the same, but a little soon for that.

Mark, I can't see your trucks being DIC-LESS (couldn't help myself)

My mileage has picked up going from the Diablo to the Evolution economy tune, about 2 MPG
    2006 GMC D/A C/C S/B, Snug Top Shell, Bed-slider
    33 inch Toyos, 17/8 Pro Comp Wheels, 4 in SS MBRP Exhaust-Turbo back, Evolution Tune, Mag-Hytec on Rear and Trans, Tranco Jr Shift Kit.

hahaahah DIC-less! I love it!
    Honestly, I can't say for sure what the difference is. Yes I have been easier on the gas, but I am by NO means driving to the extreme of fuel economy. Everything else about the truck is the same, no changes. Oil still looks good after some 1000 miles or so(can't remember when I changed it the first time). It's still caramel unlike my 94 which would change it to hot fudge within a couple hundred miles.
    I'll keep tabs on the fuel economy deal and see where it gets me for being empty, 4x4, 3500 CC model. I'm resisting the purchase of things like bug shields, grill guards, even a sunroof deflector to maintain decent aerodynamics.
    Speed costs money. How fast can you afford?

With a total weight of 18,000 I got 12.5 MPG in IL and IA with the wind on the tail. But before I got to Des Moines the wind shifted to where it was on the nose and stiff. I saw a chicken lay the same egg twice. Anyway the mileage dropped to 7.5 MPG All through IA nad KS it was a constant shift from 5th to 6th to 5th (I have a ZF-6 tranny). Pulled fine through the Rockies. The wind is just plain BAD!

Mike
    2002 GMC, Pretty Dark Blue, 4x4 / 3500, ZF6, 115 gal spare tank and Rockets... (My Other One): Flying Fuel. I got three engines and a 52,000 gallon tank, how many you got?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig M
    I don't feel that winter blend is all that bad on economy. I can knock down 20+ with my 2005 in the dead of winter provided the roads are clear and it's not too windy. I've topped 22mpg with mine and another truck. Now I did NOT verify this by hand calculation, but I've checked the DIC mpg against hand calc several times with similar tuning that does not alter injector pulse width.

My 2007 is still struggling at low-mid 18's...
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Quote Originally Posted by FBJR
    I was thinking the same, but a little soon for that.

Mark, I can't see your trucks being DIC-LESS (couldn't help myself)

My mileage has picked up going from the Diablo to the Evolution economy tune, about 2 MPG

With the Edge Evoultion for $410 and getting 2mpg better than the Diablo for $285.
    I could justify the price difference fairly easy since you also get a set of EGT & Boost gauges built into it.

How does Kenndy Custom Eco. Tune @ $695 compare to the Edge Evo. Eco ???

Could you justify the price difference of $695 - $410 = $285
    Jason Benjamin
    Milwaukee, WI
    07' Classic 2500 Duramax

LT265/75R16 Laod E
    Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor