Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brakes on trailers query

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    This looks innovative and intriguing. Definitely an advantage for a trailer rental service and the like. $300USD isn't bad for a good setup (with minimal/no installation required). It appears to be intended for permanent installation to a single trailer (the hand-held device is married to the controller), but it could be temporary-mounted to any multiple of trailers. The more I look at this, the more I like it. I'd like to find more feedback in regards to function and reliability, though (not much available).
    It's been around for a few years now, but I haven't had much experience with it myself. I know it's a good product (essentially their Prodigy technology mounted on the frame of the trailer).

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Learn something new almost every day.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Well, it seems I have sparked a few ideas.
    Our Road Transport Authority do not allow MANUAL operation of the controller,
    even though it is a good idea. Big Brother in England do not like good ideas,
    they constantly look for bad ideas that don't work, then spend millions of GBP's trying to correct them.
    I am afraid this discussion is now far beyond me.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Arrow

Every brake controller I am aware of has a "manual" feature. Meaning, manual braking is available. BUT, manual braking is secondary to automatic. Brake controllers are not "manual" brake senders. They are fully automatic, but have a means to manually operate the brakes, if necessary. If the vehicle service brakes become unusable, for any reason, a means to manually operate the trailer brakes can be a life saving feature. I can't imagine any GB law would preclude a secondary means of safety, in addition to primary conventional means. But then, even some US laws leave me scratching my head from time to time.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com