Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lift pump hot wire ?

Default lift pump hot wire ?

I am almost finished replacing my fuel tank and rusted fuel lines on my Suburban.
    I cant remember where, but i did read that it is possible to run the lift pump by jumping the relay in the fuse box to prime the fuel system when changing the filter so you don't have to crank the engine or burn out the glow plugs.
    I did a search on this site and cant find any mention of this tip so can any one help?
    Last time i replaced the filter i hot wired my lift pump to the batt to prime the filter
    (it last started right up!)
    but would much prefer to find out how to jump it from the relay as i recall.
    Any help is welcome...

Arrow

What year/model?
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default 1999 Sub

1999 suburban LS 6.5 4x4
    i though that would show on my post
    guess not

Default info

How do i get my truck info to show under my post like other members?
    it has been filled out since i joined a few years ago...

Where do you have it filled in? I have my info filled in for my signature. There is a checkbox below the reply box and above the manage attachments section that says "Show your signature" - perhaps you have that unchecked?
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Quote Originally Posted by TDSECK View Post
    How do i get my truck info to show under my post like other members?
    it has been filled out since i joined a few years ago...
    Curious. If you had a signature, you should still have a signature. I'm not aware of anyone losing one. Looking at your account profile, you don't have anything in the signature text box. Signatures are not automatically generated. Go to your User CP (link at top/left of every TDP forum page) and enter your signature information.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

In the large wire bundle (black plastic conduit) that is going to the fuse/relay center at the aft, port side of the engine compartment... look for a 16-ish gauge, red wire with a black, female spade connector. It might already be "poking out" of the conduit. That's the wire you're looking for. Just apply +12V to it.
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

Some have black insulators,some have white insulators-still looking for a red wire with female spade though,.
    2005 Chev K3500 CCLB

Quote Originally Posted by racer55 View Post
    Some have black insulators,some have white insulators-still looking for a red wire with female spade though,.
    Maybe it's a male spade? I'll double check. Is your '96 OBDII? Maybe there was a change made over the years, too?
    1998 K2500 Suburban 6.5L TD 3.73 rear, Ron Schoolcraft 18:1, Kennedy ECM & IC, Timing gears, Splayed main caps, 3.5" Kennedy Exhuast/No Cat, K&N Filter, Boost/Tranny Temp/EGT(Pre Turbo), Ceramic-coated Manifolds, 195 Stat's, 265/75's (VSSB Adjusted) 7,000lbs (on a scale) Remote Mount Oil Filter, Remote Oil Pressure Sensor

Yes 96 was OBDII
    2005 Chev K3500 CCLB

It's a female spade. More like 18-ish gauge.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by DennisG01; 08-30-2014 at 13:36.

Does this help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyChevy95 View Post
    Does this help?
    Your jumper tends to add additional work for those that have the prime/test lead available at the underhood fusebox already(OBDII).

A fused 12v source to the test lead is all that is required to activate the LP when the relay is still in place and that 12v source is readily available from the fusebox power connection.
    2005 Chev K3500 CCLB

Your jumper tends to add additional work for those that have the prime/test lead available at the underhood fusebox already(OBDII).

A fused 12v source to the test lead is all that is required to activate the LP when the relay is still in place and that 12v source is readily available from the fusebox power connection.
    Maybe so, however, your not listening to the OP's question..

Quote Originally Posted by TDSECK View Post
    I am almost finished replacing my fuel tank and rusted fuel lines on my Suburban.
    I cant remember where, but i did read that it is possible to run the lift pump by jumping the relay in the fuse box to prime the fuel system when changing the filter so you don't have to crank the engine or burn out the glow plugs.
    I did a search on this site and cant find any mention of this tip so can any one help?
    Last time i replaced the filter i hot wired my lift pump to the batt to prime the filter
    (it last started right up!)
    but would much prefer to find out how to jump it from the relay as i recall.
    Any help is welcome...

I simply answered the question..

I was aware of the question-simply chose to direct them to the proper way of doing things.
    2005 Chev K3500 CCLB

I was aware of the question-simply chose to direct them to the proper way of doing things.
    Proper way is to search for a red wire with a male connector located somewhere behind the Underhood Fuse/Relay Convenience Box wire cluster. Then apply a fused 12 volt power supply which minimally requires sticking a fuse in the LP Prime connector and physically holding it against the main power lug..

Sorry, that may be the "proper way" for OBD2 however its questionably NOT the easiest most convenient hands free way to get the same job done IMHO..

The spade terminal inside the insulator is actually female FYI.
    2005 Chev K3500 CCLB

I believe that a 1 time effort of making a 16 gauge or larger jumper with a 20a fuse,male spade and alligator clip is little trouble that will work well for years to come.
    2005 Chev K3500 CCLB

Unhappy

Between work, rainy weekends, my 6 yo son and family functions, Summer is over and i am still not finished working on this repair!
    Got the rusted rear brake lines replaced, but while bleeding the system...
    Got the rear brakes bled, did the front drivers side ok, then broke off the pass side bleeder (very rusted)!
    Now have to replace that caliper!
    Fun...
    It's a 1999 Suburban LS 6.5 4x4 around 150,000 miles
    Ok I will look for the red wire from the under hood fuse box and if i can't find it i will use the fused hot wire from my battery again.
    Thanks for all the help.

Default Truck info to show under my post?

under Edit Your Details TDSECK
    in the additional information window i have all the details of my Sub listed
    so how do i get them to show under my posts so other members know the details of my truck?
    I have checked every user setting and cannot figure it out.