Thread: Tire and wheel combos....Help !

Well with a little luck I will have my 03 GMC DA/A ext cab shortie on Thursday ! That said I NEED tires and wheels ! What can I stuff under them tiny fenders ? 33/12.50/16.5 on 9.75 wheels ? I see a lot of 285's on 8 inch wheels, Is this the max you can go ? I'm still old school on tires, is a 285 a 33 inch tire ? Who makes some kool wheels, I checked out the american racing site but don't realy see anything that thrills me Thanx for any help, Toddster. Oh yeh, do you need to use a 0mm offset wheel ?
    03 GMC Allimax SLT extended cab shorty, totally loaded, black on dark pewter Hot Juice stacked on Bully Dog programed VA pressure box 33/12.50/16.5 BFGoodrich A/T KO\'s on 16.5X9.75 Center Line Outlaws, Kennedy Headlight power, AFE stage II intake, Dakota Digital pillar mount boost/EGT guages, ATS duals to follow ! There are 3 things you DO NOT ask a man to to test drive, his Lady, his Harley, and his Duramax ! Toddster@cox.net

Arrow

Toddster

The 285's are 33 X 11.25 tires. Any taller or wider causes rubbing in most cases (without a lift). I did remove the front air dam on mine, as opposed to trimming like most do. I think it gives a much more aggressive appearance to the front end. I also turned up the torsion bars about 4 turns. Check out my pic's at:
    http://www.PictureTrail.com/gallery/...587&uid=676626
    The details are in my sig. The 285's fill up the wheel wells and have performed very well with everything I've thrown at them. I haven't done a truck pull with them yet, but I'm gettin' the itch. Centerline has a bunch of HD wheels that look great and exceed the weight ratings. The offset you need for the 16 X 8's is 4 5/8".

Welcome and good luck.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Arrow

I am going through the same thought process.. I am ready for some new wheels and tires. With 285's HOW MUCH of the air dam does one have to trim? Can someone show me a pic of the air dam that has been trimmed as opposed to removed?

www.wheelpros.com has a lot of cool wheels
    www.americanracing.com does too

so please tell, how much trimming will I have to do? It seems as though I would have to do the trimming before the tires were installed, and that would be a pain (in fear of trimming too much). Those that have had 285's put on, did you simply drive home, and THEN trim? Did it rub that bad? Please advise..Or should a person simply go with a 255 and avoid all of that?
    Thanks
    \'02 DuraMax/Allison CC 4x4<br />Juiced-Up !!<br />Delta Aluminum Low-Profile Tool Box<br />Chrome Bed Rails<br />Westin Chrome Nerf Bars<p>John 3:16<p>I am really into racing quads, too--If anyone wants to talk 4-wheelers (quads), AIM me...

Thanx for the reply Mav. Think I can get away with a set of 16X10 Comets (4.5 rear spacing) and 285's ? You can get the Comets in polished or chrome, I just can;t seem to keep polished alum clean ! problem is they only come in 16X10.
    03 GMC Allimax SLT extended cab shorty, totally loaded, black on dark pewter Hot Juice stacked on Bully Dog programed VA pressure box 33/12.50/16.5 BFGoodrich A/T KO\'s on 16.5X9.75 Center Line Outlaws, Kennedy Headlight power, AFE stage II intake, Dakota Digital pillar mount boost/EGT guages, ATS duals to follow ! There are 3 things you DO NOT ask a man to to test drive, his Lady, his Harley, and his Duramax ! Toddster@cox.net

http://pic2.picturetrail.com:80/VOL3...80/9827250.ptp

Copy and paste the above link to see what needs to be cut from the air dam.
    2003 Chevy 2500HD LT EC/SB D/A <br />Dark Gray, loaded..<br />Kennedy 4\" Exhaust, Headlight Harness, Access, Air Lift, Luverne, <br />Hot Juice, Mega Filter, more....<a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/somndmax\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a><br /><a href=\"mailto:somndmax@yahoo.com\">somndmax@yahoo. com</a>

Cool

I have 285 on the stock wheels and did not have to trim anything, there is no rubbing at all, I did crank the torsion bars 4 turns. I
    2002 LT Duramax/Allison Crew Cab SB 4x4 White/Graphite Leather, BF KO\'s 285-70-17, Westin Bars, Weld Racing Stone Crusher\'s, Dakota Digital EGT

I to have BFG's 285-75-16 on the stock wheels, the wheels are to small I just ordered Centerline 16x8 4-1/2 backspace rims. The 285 look great howerver keep the stock tires and wheels to remount if you have a problem in the future. They fit great I turned the T-bars up 5 turns and have 16" from the blace plastic to the edge of the rim. The truck sits almost level now and looks great. good luck Bill

Toddster

16 X 10's....No way with out a lift. I tried that with 9.5's and there was no way to keep the rubber off the liners or the bumper. The 5" offset will rub the rim on the control arms at full lock. The polished aluminum stays nice with minimal attention. Don't know the difference between Centerline and the rest, but mine seem to be easier to care for than other brands I've seen.

Texas Rancher
    I installed my wheels/tires and drove it for a couple weeks, unmodified (only the torsion bars turned up). It only rubbed a little while turning with slight compression.

OK Mav, so you are saying I can't go with 9.5's either ? I realy want them Outlaws (Center Lines) in 9.5 ! Let me know, Thanx.

mdrag Guest

Cool

Topic moved to 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain forum.

mdrag

Jeffrey Shaffer Guest

I installed 285 75 R16 on my 2002 with eagle 8" rims the tires are 32" tall I only had to trim just the very edge of the front air dam and on the drivers side front wheel well cut about 1" away from bottom looks great cant tell didnt have to raise truck at all The only bad deal is that 373 arent 373's anymore it like 340 gears now so I might use my stock tires and wheels that I saved for towing. If you change tires make sure you get a Spare the same size so you dont burn up your possi in the rear if you have a flat and use the stock size it could do some damage to the cluches

I have 285's on the stock rims and they fit fine; no trimming, no rubbing. I did crank the tbars though.
    2002 Chevy 2500HD CC SB; Westers PCM; PIAA eXtreme Whites; SUVLights headlight harness; PIAA airdam with PIAA fogs; Undercoated; PowerFlow mudflaps; Warn steps; Jeraco cap; Rhino; \"Green\" keys; 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers; Rancho RS9000x; Amsoil