Thread: Check Engine Light-Will fingers stick and EGR blocker plate keep it off?

Default Check Engine Light-Will fingers stick and EGR blocker plate keep it off?

I posted this over on the regular board and didn't really get any help on what I was asking, so I thought I would move it over here. I am hoping to get a response from David Kennedy so I can decide on getting the blocker plate and fingers stick from him.

Last week I went on a 3000 mile trip with 2006 LLY pulling a trailer with a car on it to Indiana, and hauling a small tractor home from Iowa. On the way there, about half way through Kansas, the check engine light came on right after getting fuel and heading up the on ramp to get back on the interstate. The next morning, I took the pickup to the dealership in a town in Iowa. The diagnosis was the EGR flow was insufficient. GM had a bulletin out on this I was told, and that the cause was a calibration issue. They did a learn procedure on the EGR valve, and did the update and sent me on my way. Exactly 1200 miles later, the darn check engine light is back on. I have not had a chance to go back to a dealership now that I am back home in Colorado to see if it is the same code.

My pickup is equipped with a 6 speed manual tranny, AFE stage 2 intake, and straight-piped factory exhaust, both the converter and the muffler have been removed before I got the pickup, and those are the only mods to the pickup, no chip or anything. I should mention this pickup only has 18000 miles on it.

My question is, does the free flowing exhaust and intake have a part in this code, or are they the cause of it, or should it not make a difference? The dealership that checked it out said that neither should make a difference on that code. I am wondering if I need the EGR blocker plate and fingers stick to make the light stay off, and what effect does the blocker plate and stick have on mileage for the guys that have installed it? What do you guys think?

This doesn't answer your question, but I had the same symptoms and they finally ended up replacing the EGR valve.

The fingerstick and blockoff plate should trick the PCM into thinking things are OK regardless of what's really happening.

The open exhaust can cause the codes, but you didn't have them before so something else has changed. Not sure why it didn't code before...

Call him John Kennedy and he may answer...
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

I put the EGR block-off and fingerstick on before I replaced my exhaust (4" turbo-back), 9400 miles now, never seen a code yet
    http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/image.php
    07 GMC CC SB LBZ
    70 monte carlo, original 4 spd, bench seat
    71 monte carlo SS clone, street/strip
    97 grand am, beater

Thanks for the replies. Sorry about screwing up the name........I was meaning John Kennedy. The reason I didn't have the codes before, is I just bought this pickup a month ago. It is still new to me, and I have only put the 3000 miles on it from the trip pulling the trailer last week, and the miles that it took to get it home to Colorado from Illinois.

Update: Since I got home last week, the pickup has sat in the shed and not moved. I started it today to move it, and the check engine light is off again????? Is this common with these also?