Thread: I LIKE FIRM ONES!!!!!!!! Shifts, that is!!!!!

Cool I LIKE FIRM ONES!!!!!!!! Shifts, that is!!!!!

does any boby have any good advice on good shift kits out there for an 06 2500hd dmax will do the r$r my self will leave the rebuild to someone else! no broblems yet, would like to make it a lot firmer shifting! before i do burn it up! 390HP LB7

Due to the programming in the TCM even the super built ones shift like butter. Now if you take out the defueling it will hit harder(not advisable no matter how well it is built). If you get a hard shift with the defuel inplace all the clutches have not finished shifting, so you want a smooth shift with the allison. With a well built trans they will learn to shift fast and smooth, like butter. If you have the 5 speed pull the trans down and put what most consider a stage 3 kit with a good Torque converter. Mike L in California sells everything you need to make the Allison work great. If you don't want to do it yourself I would call Kennedy Diesel and get the complete trans from him. I have purchased from both, great customer service even after the sell. After you get this done get EFI live and have fun, I did.

Mike
    1995 Suburban K2500 6.5TD 3.73's Innercooled, Updated cooling, Banks 3" exhaust no gizzards in the kittie. Pyro/Boost/Trans temp. Transgo HD valvebody kit.
    2002 2500HD, CC, LB, 4X4,California Truck, Federal Emissions Front pipe, Plugged recirculator, modified air box(Per Kennedy's page) 6" RCD lift, 35" tires.

Firm solid shifts in an ALLISON=tie ups which are VERY BAD! The ALLISON was never meant or intended to shift like a pro built TURBO 350 for drag racing, and they will self destruct if they are made to shift that way. Thre are a few tuners out there that can build up an ECM and TCM flashes for you that will firm up the shifts, but still make them live. I would call KENNEDY for his tuning, or Tony at RIDGERUNNER. Neck snapping shifts are not adviseable with an ALLISON though by any tuner that will stand behind there work. I have a built ALLY in my BURB and it shifts pretty smooth, and I like it that way.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, 3.42 gears, 261 T-case
    Trans has a mild build with ALOT of help from MIKE L. which included ALTO's for C1-C4 and a PI ML converter
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust with a CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, EFILIVE, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

thanks for the advise guys! but not sure what EFI live is, and I should have made my self more clear, dont want a hard shift, but one that feels like its actualy going into gear under hard acceleration, and not slipping for 3 or 4 seconds before it makes the change!!!!!!

Trans has a mild build with ALOT of help from MIKE L. which included ALTO's for C1-C4 and a PI ML converter
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust with a CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, EFILIVE, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

When creating a tune we can change what the engine is doing during the shift which can have a nice impact on shift quality. Unfortunately this takes more time to sort out than most are willing to spend on the tuning.

Most customers report nice shifts from my tuning. Mark Rinker should be a good one to ask.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Cool

Hey Kennedy, this live tuning sounds good, can all the bugs be worked out on the phone? I dont forsee my self making a trip to Wis. any time soon!

It's pretty simple. Just visit my site and click on Kennedy Custom.

I send the ECM ready to install. There have been product reviews here on the LB7 and LLY tuning etc.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    It's pretty simple. Just visit my site and click on Kennedy Custom.

I send the ECM ready to install. There have been product reviews here on the LB7 and LLY tuning etc.
    I have the Kennedy ECM 100/250HP. The tranny shifts flawlessly on either setting. Runs really good on the 100 HP setting and is unbeleivable on the 250 HP setting!!!!!!
    '03 Chev Duramax ext. cab, Kennedy ECM,After Market turbo,tranny, triple disk convertor, Exhaust Brake, electric tran. cooler, dual exhaust, Supertank 57 gallon.

hey guys, shouldnt my 02 damx be able to spin the tires even in stock mode? may have a problem!

Quote Originally Posted by dr.olds View Post
    hey guys, shouldnt my 02 damx be able to spin the tires even in stock mode? may have a problem!
    If your trying to power brake it, no. The PCM has alot of defueling built in that severely limits the fueling until it is moving past a certain speed. Some with custom tunes still can't spin the tires because they didn't increase the limiters.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.olds View Post
    You will need to power brake it to get any significant spin.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    You will need to power brake it to get any significant spin.
    Hey John, my lb7 spins the tires easily on your 250HP setting without power braking, do I have to much power? I love it!!!
    '03 Chev Duramax ext. cab, Kennedy ECM,After Market turbo,tranny, triple disk convertor, Exhaust Brake, electric tran. cooler, dual exhaust, Supertank 57 gallon.