Thread: Allison shutter

Default Allison shutter

My transmission in my 08 2500HD will shutter from a dead start just after the tires start to roll. It only happens from a dead start, not any other time. If I hook up my 5th wheel, it amplifies it by 5-6 times as worse.
    It's a 2008 with 9850mi. on it. It's been in the dealer for a week and a half. They re-shimmed the rear end, to no avail. It's still the same.

I really don't know what they did, I told them to fix it and call me when it was done. I'm not upset, pissed, or angry in any way.

Anybody else had/heard/seen this problem?

Please email me at debtanker@msn.com please, I need to get this fixed, it's dune season and I'm getting a sand rail soon.

Thanks folks,
    BBTank

Default Allison Shutter

BigBlockTank,

My 2006 D/A, CC has had a shutter since day one. It gets worse with the 5th wheel in tow. I have checked the two-piece driveshaft U-joint timing, the U-joints and the driveshaft carrier bearing and they are all good. I finally decided that it is caused by the two-piece driveshaft. I once owned a 1968 Chevy truck with a two-piece driveshaft that had a shutter; when I installed a one-piece driveshaft the shutter went away. I later had that thought reinforced by a thread here at TDP. Aparently, there is a GM service bulletin on the Allison transmission shutter. The bulletin requires replacing the two-piece driveshaft with a monster one piece driveshaft. Do a search on the TDP and I am sure you will find some good information on the issue to pass onto the GM Service Tech.

Good Luck,
    John
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

Beside THANK YOU, all I can say is......I'll be damned. I told them idiots to check that, check for that, and last, check the trans data collection. So, I guess I was on the right track. HAHAHAHAHAHA, wait till I find this and shove it up their noses. I'll be on visit #3 for the same problem. In a lemon law state (AZ), that means buy it back from me!!!!

Thanks again,
    BBTank