Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Transfer case leak repair?

Default New GM News!!!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090628/..._gm_bankruptcy

Maybe hope for all us transfer case leak folks hold onto your receipts!!!! Calling all lawyers!!!

Moderator can you put this up as a new thread? I seem to have difficulty navigating te site
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
    Maybe hope for all us transfer case leak folks hold onto your receipts!!!! Calling all lawyers!!!

Only if it's new. From the afore mentioned article: "GM wants to sell the bulk of its assets to a new company and leave behind unprofitable assets and other liabilities such as product-related lawsuits... 'New GM' will not assume liability for already pending claims against the automaker and those people will still be forced to seek compensation from 'Old GM.'."
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
    Well I got my rebuild transfer case today and already being aware of why GM has gone belly up with continued lies lies lies. I immediately found the epoxy patch GM did and it was found in exact same location as the one I was replacing. I was pissed about this and so was the parts guy.
    How did you determine the repair was epoxy? A welded case might "appear" to have been epoxied, especially if the case had been painted. Just curious...

Jim

If I order a new case half and have a shop replace it and install the part I bought from Kennedy are there any other parts to order from GM with the case, seals etc. that are necessary to do the job correctly?

Matt
    mattb5150@hotmail.com

1993 K2500 HD ext.cab 4x4 - SOLD

2003 GMC K2500HD SLT EXTRA CAB/SB DMAX/ALLI, Bilsteins, Sulastic Shackles, Pitman & Idler braces, KD Headlight Harness, CAT filtration, Lift pump w/KD harness, Denali Door handles, Yukon exterior mirrors

2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Stoopider FAST

1996 VW Passat TDI 48mpg - SOLD

Default What Years

Guys

Curious

We have a fleet of the 2008 Silverado 2500HD's 4x4's with the Allison trans- is this year protected from the transfer case issues ?

Default GM Lies

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    How did you determine the repair was epoxy? A welded case might "appear" to have been epoxied, especially if the case had been painted. Just curious...

Jim
    Not a problem Jim it was obviously not a weld because when I saw the spot it was a smear. When we (dealership and I) split the case apart it had the same consistency and was obviously "pushed" into the hole. I am not a certified welder but have been around enough and worked with several epoxy compounds such as "unitex" to know the difference.

I had two other mechanics and the shop manager inspect the rebuilt case also they came to the same conclusion and have notified other dealers affliated with the Hendricks name what GM is doing. I elected to reveal the dealership owners because I trust them and have done business with them for years. Although apologetic they said there hands where tied regardless.

This besides the fact I had talked with the engineer at GM who was very familiar with the problem "assured" me on at least two seperate occassions in my conversation with him before I bought the rebuild new tail shaft cases where to replace the ones with holes when rebuilt.

Well see how the warranty works out with the in between old GM and new GM and how Barry Obama plans to honor my warranty should the transfer case fail within the 3 year 100,000 mile warranty

Default Count on failure

Quote Originally Posted by EdSpaek View Post
    Guys

Curious

We have a fleet of the 2008 Silverado 2500HD's 4x4's with the Allison trans- is this year protected from the transfer case issues ?
    Is your fleet still under warranty? If your transfer case is due for a fluid change have a mechanic probe the hole with a telescopic magnet after the fluid drains out or in some cases it just falls out while the fluid is draining, this is how I partially found my problem if the clip has broken it usually goes to this area as the pickup magnet in the case may grab it. If you are replacing rear tail shaft seals now make sure you check the right side upper part of the case for fluid or dirt tracking. View the photos on the Kennedy site carefully it takes a few veiwings but becomes more clear to those us who have made temp patches. If you see the clip parts come out in the fluid or extract part of it with a magnet it is only a matter of time before a hole is bored through the case and it will happen no doubt.

If you find broken clip pieces dealers are all to familiar with the problem. Ask the dealer to replace it under warranty? I can tell you GM goodwill is no longer paying for anything. You might try to buy the Kennedy spacer ask the dealer to install it in place of a new GM clip design. You should not have to worry about it after that.

I have found out from another GM mechanic that as far as the clip design goes all GM did? They curled the ends of the steel clips. The steel clip is the same gauge depth as the old one. Look at the old design on the Kennedy photos.

The tech bulletin from GM advises the parts counter to sell this clip with each rebuilt case as I mentioned in my previous post. God love'em GM does anything to sqeeze out every dime from the customer!
    Last edited by Hawker; 07-01-2009 at 18:26.

Quote Originally Posted by mattb5150 View Post
    If I order a new case half and have a shop replace it and install the part I bought from Kennedy are there any other parts to order from GM with the case, seals etc. that are necessary to do the job correctly?

Matt

Yes you will need a retention clip for the front drive shaft and a gasket that goes between the transmission and the case housing. If they try to sell you the clip with the case housing that cost around 8 bucks tell them to make a key ring out of it. On second thought do not make a key ring out of it because you will most likely lose your keys when it breaks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Only if it's new. From the afore mentioned article: "GM wants to sell the bulk of its assets to a new company and leave behind unprofitable assets and other liabilities such as product-related lawsuits... 'New GM' will not assume liability for already pending claims against the automaker and those people will still be forced to seek compensation from 'Old GM.'."

Ok dash my hopes. Anyway it appears by July 10, 2009 that if GM does not get the bankruptcy court to agree to give all the equipment, robots etc. to the New GM, Barry is going to get upset and slam his bedroom door on any future funding for GM and GM will be gone.

Yea I know it will not happen because the U.S. bailed out GM and will not going to let them go under. The U.S. bailing out GM was a huge mistake and in my opinion and still is.

Thanks Hawker,

Any idea of part numbers for the retention clip and gasket?

Matt
    mattb5150@hotmail.com

2003 GMC K2500HD SLT EXTRA CAB/SB DMAX/ALLI, Bilsteins, Sulastic Shackles, Pitman & Idler braces, KD Headlight Harness, CAT filtration, Lift pump w/KD harness, Denali Door handles, Yukon exterior mirrors

Default part numbers

Best if you call the dealer with your vin number. From there they can look up you transfer case. The boot clips and gaskets differ on a few of them. Lucky I was at the dealer I bought the parts over the counter and carried them to the mechanic saved me naywhere form 15% -30% parts markup.

Bought the new case half and had it installed today. I have the old case half if anyone would like to have it welded.

Matt
    mattb5150@hotmail.com

Arrow

I received an email from a 2500HD owner recently who's transfer case also suffered from the wear-through leak failure. He had read this thread, and ordered a replacement rear case half from one of the vendors mentioned - along with the new aftermarket part that will prevent the wear-through from re-occurring.

Problem was, his truck was not powered by a Duramax - his truck had a gas engine. The gas powered trucks use a 261/263 transfer case, but have a different rear case half because the rear driveshaft yoke is smaller (probably a 1350 u-joint, instead of the 1410 used behind the diesel).

Just an FYI....

Jim

The case of the wear is from a keeper that is attached to the oil pump that is in the tcase it vibrates and cases a hole in the case the fix is a new half and a readvised keeper to correct the concern or problem

Anyone who used JB Weld on the transfer case, I'd like to know how long you've been running like that and how long do you think that fix will last?

I spotted a leak on the garage floor and started watching it for a while and finally last week-end found the wear thru hole about say 1/8" wide and 1/8" long. Needed to use the truck, so I went for the JB weld fix. I bought the one that said it's good to 600 degrees F. so I know it won't turn loose because of heat. I cleaned the area with denatured Alcohol and use an old tooth brush on my electrice tooth brush. Kept reapplying the Alcohol while running the tooth brush over the area till it was nice and shiny. I then took a dime and ground it across to where it would fit in the area, thinking it would supply some reinforcement in the long direction of the dime agaist where the oil pump tab was wearing thru. I stuck it on with the JB weld and then apply liberal amounts of JB weld to fill in the area and let it sit up for 24 hours. You have to know it's there to even see it, it looks really good. The tensil strength of the JB weld is shown as 3600 lbs. so it should hold the dime in place and seal the hole, I think for a long time. I'll continue to run it that way until I'm sure it will hold up under heat up and cool down cycles. I don't know off the top of my head what the coeffecent of thermal expansion difference between the steel repair and the magnesium case is that's the unknown factor for me. Gonna have to look that up. If it will stand a few million cycles without failure, then I'll probably let Kennedy put one of his inserts in there and really know I've solved the problem. Again has anyone had a failure of the JB Weld fix? What epoxy is GM using on those replacement items?
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.

Default Ongoing info...

After having the first pinhole patched by the dealer it's still going strong about 4 years later. However, I just found a 2nd pinhole. I'll be plugging it with JB weld too.
    2002 2500HD 4X4 CC SB
    Duramax/Allison

A few years ago I reinforced the transfer case on my 03 by applying some stick-epoxy putty to all the pump-rub wear points. It wasn't leaking at the time but I thought making the areas of the case that wear through about 3/8" thicker could prevent a leak. At 103kmi so far so good..
    Last edited by jbplock; 08-11-2013 at 05:31.
    Bill
    03 2500HD D/A CC/SB/4WD,OilGuard, MegaFilter,LiftPump/PreFilter, Bilsteins,RetraxRollTop,J&J Boards,Coolant Filter,AlliDeepPan,FastIdle,AllHeadLightsOn,
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD