Thread: shocks?

Default shocks?

I have a 06', crew cab, Alli' automatic,4x4 Dmax....looking for new shocks. I dont off road and occasionally haul a 2100# truck camper in the box, however I have Firestone air bags when I haul the TC. Recommendations for shocks? Rancho 5000? Bilsteins? front and rear. I run LTX Michelins one size up from stock.

Arrow

Bilsteins, front and rear. Nuff said.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Talking

100% true. Call John Kennedy
    '03 Chev Duramax ext. cab, Kennedy ECM,After Market turbo,tranny, triple disk convertor, Exhaust Brake, electric tran. cooler, dual exhaust, Supertank 57 gallon.

I too run the Bilsteins front and rear on my truck. My wife also has them on her 2500 Suburban. I got both sets from John Kennedy a forum supporter...good guy and service. The shocks work well, just be advised that the rubber bushings are a wear item.

I have done some reading on this issue and it appears for whatever reason the shocks from the factory had a rod that is about 1 1/4" too short for the susoension travel. The aftermarket apparently followed that spec and all the shocks have this short rod. When the suspension is fully extended the shock gets stretched to the end of the rod length so the bushing picks up the impact, and wears. I think there is more to it that this but that is the jest of it. Some guys have installed an extension block on the bottom shock mount which seems to help. I don't know how far up the model chain that this is an issue.
    Jeff

"But officer, I ain't Speedin', I'm just flyin' low"

2001 Silverado 3500 Dually LS Ext Cab, 6.6L Diesel, Banks Stinger Kit, 4" Exhaust, VR Straps, Bilstein shocks, 255/85/16 BFG KM2s
    2004 Suburban 2500 LT 6.0L 4x4, Bilstein Shocks, Federico front/rear sway bars
    1996 Caprice 5.7L LT1, B4U Suspension, KYB shocks & Hotchkis sway bars, BMR RCA - alas I miss ya.
    2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L