Thread: And then, I realized what I had asked....

Default And then, I realized what I had asked....

The other day, I asked for some help with my '98 6.5td
    since the cam gear and i/p gear did not mesh 100%.

Stupidly, I said that I can guess so, no guesses please.

Hah. That is about all any of us CAN DO - GUESS.

What I really meant to say is that I wanted a sure-fire answer if this was normal and not whether it MAY BE okay to run like that.

Any, uh, "guesses" what the problem may be?

Thanks.

Joe
    ****WANTED BURNED OUT PMD/FSD MODULES FOR EXPERIMENT. ****

1998 Silverado, 6.5TD, 210k, long bed. 1984 Chevy Customized Van, 6.2.
    1985 Mercedes-Benz SD, diesel, 220k
    1990 Ford, F-250, 7.3 liter, bad engine.
    Onan, 4 cyl. Diesel, Marine Generator.
    Onan, 4 cyl. Diesel, Stationary Generator.
    Onan, 4 cyl. Diesel, Air-cooled Engine.
    2 Briggs/Faryman Diesels to rebuild.

Can the camshaft be moved forward/aft by an amount equal to the gear mismatch?

Aside from a gear mismatch, the lifters will also be similarly displaced, which means the roller lifters won't be seeing the full width of the cam lobes. Likewise for the oil pump drive gear.

I vaguely remember a report of a 6.5 cam running too far to the rear because of some sort of problem, but I don't remember what the cause was.

Jim

Arrow

With discussion forum diagnosis, about all you're gonna get is guesses. Some educated, some not. There are some canned answers for some issues, but we can't see what you see. Pictures help, but aren't conclusive. Limiting your options to "no guesses" pretty much guarantees no help. Especially with the 'head scratcher' you are asking about. I don't have anything to contribute to your dilemma that hasn't already been said. The pump gear won't install backward. The pilot pin and bolt holes won't line up. So that leaves you with a defective gear, or something else that's amiss. I've never seen the issue. I agree with other advice you've already received, don't run the engine until the gears match.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Didn't I just allude to that, DMax?

Nevertheless, guesses, as I said, are all that we can do without being next to the vehicle.

Now, as an aside and for entertainment purposes only, I have found the oh-so- simple-problem. Before I reveal it, does anyone care to guess?

Given some facts and information, I do like to take a turn at legerdemain or prestidigitation. It seems like it aids learning while providing respite from mundane minutia.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    With discussion forum diagnosis, about all you're gonna get is guesses. Some educated, some not. There are some canned answers for some issues, but we can't see what you see. Pictures help, but aren't conclusive. Limiting your options to "no guesses" pretty much guarantees no help. Especially with the 'head scratcher' you are asking about. I don't have anything to contribute to your dilemma that hasn't already been said. The pump gear won't install backward. The pilot pin and bolt holes won't line up. So that leaves you with a defective gear, or something else that's amiss. I've never seen the issue. I agree with other advice you've already received, don't run the engine until the gears match.

Talking No guess

I have found the oh-so- simple-problem.

And?
    95C3500.Ext.Cab 97 Cooling mods. DSG Gear-1.95 TDCO. Bilstein Shocks. Firestone Air Bags. FSD Cooler. Banks EX System. Egt,Boost & IAT Gauges. JK High Flow/pop Injectors. Turbo-Master. Max-E 2.0. Water/Alky Injection. Amsoil Dual Bypass. Baldwin filter. aFe Air filter, Air box & Turbo Mods. Power Service Product. Large Duels 235/85-16. Tool Box\'s & truck, 8200 lbs.

Was the rear camshaft soft plug left out and/or not set in far enough?

I ran into a problem once of installing the plug too far deep and this pushed the camshaft forward just a bit farther than needed, and then when I installed the front retaining plate, it squeezed the camshaft a bit and made it hard to turn. I had to reset the rear plug.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Turn on 'groan mode'. I groaned when I realized the problem. It was that the i/p was not yet bolted to the engine front cover!

Thanks everyone for suggestions.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by arveetek View Post
    Was the rear camshaft soft plug left out and/or not set in far enough?

I ran into a problem once of installing the plug too far deep and this pushed the camshaft forward just a bit farther than needed, and then when I installed the front retaining plate, it squeezed the camshaft a bit and made it hard to turn. I had to reset the rear plug.

Casey

Good Day!

"...the i/p was not yet bolted to the engine front cover." HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR!!!!! If I had a dollar for every time I've done something like that...

(on edit) I went back & found the original topic.

"I wonder if there is a ⅛" washer behind the i.p. gear." That's where I would have topped what you did - I'd probably have paid a machine shop to make a spacer, tightened everything down, then wondered why the IP gear ripped the front off the cover (or whatever would happen with the gear now ⅛" in front of the cam gear).

"The mis-match increases the contact stress and messes up the axial load distribution causing edge loading, truncation of the contact elipse and high local stress." I swear he farts equations - I'd give anything to have his mechanical knowledge.

Blessings!
    82 6.2NA K15 4X4 pickup, 4spd man w/ OD, 335K+ "In Rust We Trust" (parked)
    95 6.5TD 2500 4X4 pickup, Gear Vendors Aux. OD, > ¼ million miles - gone
    95 6.5TD 1500 4X4 3/4T Suburban, Kennedy exhaust, > ¼ million miles
    93 6.5TD 3500 4X4 1T crew cab LB pickup, 230k miles

Sorry I just can't stop laughing at what Moondoggie wrote! And it is a Blessing to have read something funny to top off a tiresome week.
    95 Suburban 6.5 TD; AFE Air Filter/Box; DSG Idler Gears; Remote Mounted FSD; High Output Water Pump; Autometer Lunar Guages - Boost, Trans Temp, EGT; GM-8 Turbo; JK Lighting Upgrade, Fluidamper, Max-E-Tork Eprom, Turbo-Master, HD Lift Pump

Doggie,

I am glad that something positive came from this......your humor.

Also, I bought this truck in November of 2007 and drove it home and promptly tore the front-end of the engine off to replace harmonic balancer, pulley, water pump, timing chain and gears and thermostats. I really didn't want to get in a hurry.

Actually, life got in the way and I had to take care of way, way too many projects.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by moondoggie View Post
    Good Day!

"...the i/p was not yet bolted to the engine front cover." HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR!!!!! If I had a dollar for every time I've done something like that...

(on edit) I went back & found the original topic.

"I wonder if there is a ⅛" washer behind the i.p. gear." That's where I would have topped what you did - I'd probably have paid a machine shop to make a spacer, tightened everything down, then wondered why the IP gear ripped the front off the cover (or whatever would happen with the gear now ⅛" in front of the cam gear).

"The mis-match increases the contact stress and messes up the axial load distribution causing edge loading, truncation of the contact elipse and high local stress." I swear he farts equations - I'd give anything to have his mechanical knowledge.

Blessings!

Default I'm a few posts too late

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me last night! I figured it out, but I also messed something else up. I had the pump mounted to the plate, and was mounting the front cover at the same time. Then I looked at the extra bolts I had lying there and started looking for an equal number of holes to put them in. Ah, there's one right behind the outlet of the pump! Oh, goody, it doesn't go in unless you unbolt the pump again! DOH! On a serious note, I'm a little concerned at the noise level coming from the front as I turn the engine over. I expected a little noise from the brand new chain and gears, but I'm getting a subtle "popping" for lack of a better word. The pump gear was a little tight going back together with the cam gear, too. Anyone have any input? I oiled everything pretty well, and I don't feel any binding as I turn, but I'm imagining the same sound once it is fired off and rotating at speed and I don't think that will be a pleasant sound. I may also be starting another thread about the possibility/ concerns/ diagnostics/ remedy for a timing chain being one tooth off. Yeah! Fun!
    Dave