Thread: electric lift pump

Default electric lift pump

I'm Having a problem starting after the engine being turn off for a while
    the lift pump is working when the engine is running. The problem is when i turn off the engine i don't hear the lift pump anymore. it used to run for for a while before shutting off. I guess that must be the problem. Also when I prime the pump by putting power to one side of the fuse on the firewall the pump runs. Someone have a clue about this problem?
    Thanks

It would help to know what year your truck/SUV/whatever might be...
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Quote Originally Posted by trbankii View Post
    It would help to know what year your truck/SUV/whatever might be...
    Chevy silverado K1500 1994 diesel 6.5
    also there is no 12 volts power on the truck side at the lift pump when the ignition key is at run/crank and when I just turn off the motor until the oil pressure
    I think it's the lift pump relay is there a way to check this relay?

Quote Originally Posted by orebec View Post
    Chevy silverado K1500 1994 diesel 6.5
    also there is no 12 volts power on the truck side at the lift pump when the ignition key is at run/crank and when I just turn off the motor until the oil pressure
    I think it's the lift pump relay is there a way to check this relay?
    someone can tell me where is the relay is it under the hood next to the fuel pump fuse or under the driver side dash near the handbrake?

The lift pump runs through the OPS (oil pressure switch) as a safety feature. If you lose oil pressure, the lift pump stops running.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

You may have "fried" the contacts in the oil pressure sensor. They run the fuel pump, with no relay. After I experienced failure on the old Suburban, back years ago, I put in a new pressure sensor, and then wired a new HD relay to power the pump, with the old lead to the sensor acting to only activate the relay, and freeing up those little sensor contacts.
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

This is an awesome product:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=402

I've had this kit on my Tahoe for over 10 years now, and has worked flawlessly. The OEM oil pressure switch setup leaves a lot to be desired.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Default Electric lift pump

thanks for the link (I might think getting one if i don't find the problem)
    but my problem is intermittent first the lift pump always work when the engine is running. And since I had this truck when I turn off the engine I could hear the pump running for about 10 secondes or so. Now sometimes I can hear it sometimes not. When i don't hear it I have had a hard time to start it up again likes it's not prime that is why I suspect the lift pump relay.
    any more ideas?
    Also How hard is it to change the oil pressure switch on a 1994 chevy 6.5 turbo diesel and where is that oil pressure switch?
    thanks

NAPA has a tool (3/8" drive socket) for that: #3923 Oil Switch Socket. The switch is alongside the fuel filter, and the NAPA socket overcomes the need to move the filter out of the way.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

thanks but now I have a bigger concern I have too much pressure in the coolant system and the oil level is higher so a blown head gasket I presume. Can I find which cylinder it is by removing the glow plug and do a compression test?