Thread: Latest thinking on tires

Default Latest thinking on tires

It's time for me to re-tire. I'm running LT285/75x16 Michelin LTX M/S and have gotten 65,000 so far and could get more but want more tread for winter. I'm considering the Revo but there are a lot of reports on the BBS of poor mileage. I do wish the Michelin's did better in wet conditions but I am pretty happy with the Michelins. What say you?

I always liked the Michelins, I seem to get more wear out of them. I alway's waited until I found them on sale somewhere. Rotating them often sure helps also.

I had some Toyos on my 1500HD and they warked great even in the snow. Just got an LBZ and went for the Nittos in a 295/70-17 and like them even more. Rim lip and $40 less each than the Toyos.

FB

Default 285 tires

Quote Originally Posted by HarrySanders
    It's time for me to re-tire. I'm running LT285/75x16 Michelin LTX M/S and have gotten 65,000 so far and could get more but want more tread for winter. I'm considering the Revo but there are a lot of reports on the BBS of poor mileage. I do wish the Michelin's did better in wet conditions but I am pretty happy with the Michelins. What say you?
    Do you run these tires with the Duramax? If so any problems with the tranny? Any problems with your service shop and the larger tires?
    2007 GMC 2500 crew cab LBZ
    6.6L duramax
    Roof markers and XM radio
    Rhino liner
    Plat series nurf bars
    Putco bed rails
    Truxedo bed cover
    edge juice W/ monitor temp uninstalled.
    Hypertech stage 3

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by REDTRUCK05
    Do you run these tires with the Duramax? If so any problems with the tranny? Any problems with your service shop and the larger tires?
    I've been running 285's for 5 years (see pic's in sig.). My service manager doesn't have a problem with it, but many dealers will. The GM bulletin specifically states to decline taking a warranty claim (not void a warranty) if a truck has other than OEM size wheels on it, with a powertrain complaint. If you are concerned, ask your SM before you install larger wheels. If he says they observe the letter of the bulletin, be sure to keep your take-offs for visits to the dealer.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Loved the Revos

I put 30,000+ mi. on my previous truck (traded it in on current truck) on Revos with no significant wear.....loved them....plan to replace current OEM tires with Revos.

Jim M.
    '05 2500HD D/A CC SB 4x4 Silver LS ~65,000+ mi.
    Isspro EGT (pre-turbo) & Boost analog guages; 4" Magnaflow exhaust; Superchips programmer; Uni-Foam Air Filter; Boost stick w/ext.; Amsoil Lubrication products; Aux. fuel filter (Post OEM); FilterMags on oil, fuel, and trans; Bilstein shocks; Amsoil Dual Remote oil bypass; 60 gal. In-bed RDS Aux. fuel tank; Prodigy electric brake controller; VR3 Color Back-up Camera System, Battery tender
    '10 Coachmen FW 35RLDS ~35', 11k lbs.(loaded)

Been running the 285's since 25-30K. No issues with the dealer. His only complaint is how far off the speedo is when I take it in for the obligatory services (30, 60K) without the compensation or Van AAken. Other wise he doesn't care and his son loves the way it runs.

Keep an eye on the local dealers. Many will have lifts and larger tire/wheels packages installed on new trucks.

I really doubt they void the warranty on their vehicles, so it would be hard to deny another.

Just take a picture of theirs on the lot for ammo. May work, may not, but they can't deny a claim unless they can prove what you did messed something up. Even a signed contract does not circumvent the law.

FB

I am at the point to re-tire tossing the factory 245's and looking at either the LTX M/S or Revo's. I am trying top decide between the 265/75-16 or the 235/85-16 size or just sticking with the 245's. Trying to decide what would be best balance of looks, MPG, traction, etc. with the old warranty risk out there. I don't pull real heavy loads (5K or less, usually under 3K) and the only real off road driving I do is camping trips or boat ramps. I do get some snow in my area and some good rain so weather traction is a concern.

So any thoughts or opinions here?
    \'05 Chevy 2500 HD LS CC/LB 4x4 D/A, Century Cap, Line-X Spray on bedliner, SS Nerf Bars, Lund Bug Deflector, 235/85R16E LTX M/S II, Kennedy Custom ECM Tune, Uni-filter, EGT/Pyro & Boost Guages

Default Costco tires.

Quote Originally Posted by HarrySanders
    When it came time to re-tire the truck, 2003 Checy 2500 HD CC, I tried all the local tire stores and ended up at Costco for price. They sell only Michelin and BF Goodrich, now owned by Michelin. I opted for the factory size tire and went with a commercial grade BF Goodrich. It seems to have good wet weather performace, rides a little harse but that is directly linked to the tire pressure.

All in all I'm pleased with the choice. Original tires went 65K and still had tread.

I really like the Michelin LTX MS. No they aren't traction kings, but they ride and wear nicely and are quiet.

For Truck Pulling I use BFG AT KO's and they work well. I just don't like the 285's on the street.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

I bought 285's Revos at Costco. They won't mount anything larger than stock because they got sued by a guy who bought larger tires which they mounted and was later denied warranty on the Allison.
    I asked them to throw the tires in the back and deduct the mounting cost. They were fine with that. I really like the Revos.

I put I put 285/75/16 Dominator A/T on my 03. I really liked them. In the past I have always used BFG at's or Michelin, but thought I would try the Dominators. I saved over $70 per tire. They are made by Cooper. I got them at Discount Tire.
    David Proske #418
    '06 CHEVY LBZ 2500HD CC LWB
    '03 GMC 2500HD D/A *sold* :-(
    '94 K2500HD W/GV OD

Default Costco Installed mine

I put 265's on my truck taking the 245's off. Costco installed the Mich.LTX MS.....4 for $753.00 or so.
    Former 2003 Chev. D/A CC, Snug Top shell, Prodigy, 2003 Arctic Fox 30U, Alternator mt. fuel filter.....basically stock truck.

2012 Ram Megacab 3500, Snug Top, same trailer, stock truck

GO DUCKS

GOD BLESS THOSE WHO PROTECT AND SERVE!