Thread: 6.2l CJ7 questions

Default 6.2l CJ7 questions

Hey whats up. I have some questions for those who know things I dont!

I am going to drop a 6.2l into my 77 CJ7 here pretty soon. Ideally it is going to have 6.2l/ NV4500/ Dana 300 with 3" lift and 33ish tires. It'll see moderate trail use and I have a need for medium-duty towing, but again nothing crazy. It'll be mostly street with random play.

Next month I plan on purchasing an '89 burban as a donor. It's only got ~85k and is in pretty nice condition with a well documented history - Sweet!. I already have the NV4500, 2wd version out of a 2001 HD. I'm trying to find the right (<-cheap and not completely broke) D300, so if anyone around the north Texas area can help out I'd be much appreciated!

I have been planning on using a pair of scout d44s under the jeep, but I just thought about putting the burb's axles under there. I don't know very much about chevy axles. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to identify them? Also, does anyone know the length of the axles?
    Do they qualify as full width? I know the scout d44s are 60" and they will stick out a little bit. Would the burban axles be noticably different? I'm sure they would give the jeep a mean stance, and they do come with the donor... less to buy...hmmm. Or if I cant use them, could I sell them for a decent price or are they scrap?

This is kind of a goofy question too... If I'm buying this 89 suburban just to rip out it's guts, and probably part it out after that, do I really need to shell out the cash for a title swap? eh? eh? Perhaps I'm just inexperienced, but if I don't really ever plan on selling it, or driving it for that matter, do I really need a title?

Also, I am trying to avoid as much needless complication as possible. So, I was thinking a basic manual clutch setup is for me. But for what ever reason I have been have issues finding some info on swapping in a NV4500 manual clutch setup. Does anyone have some knowledge or a good resource for info on that? I just have questions about the bellhousing and such. I want to say that I remember that there is a difference in the manual/hydraulic clutch bellhousings... yes? no?

Thanks for reading all this and any help I get! This may be kind of all over the place, but I'm trying to think out all the quirks as best I can to have less suprises latter.

I have read and reread the thread's about the J20 and the YJ once or eight times, so please don't just throw those links at me. But other ones I aint seen yet are much appreciated!

Thanks!

EdIt: does the 89 6.2l have a computer?
    Last edited by Darac; 12-11-2007 at 18:43.