Thread: S10 blazer diesel swap

Default S10 blazer diesel swap

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum but have looked at some threads about diesel swaps into S10 blazers. I have a 2001 and was thinking that a International VT274 would be a good choice for this type of project. This engine is a turbo charged and intercooled V-6 not sure of power or tourque on this one. They were used in ford LCF medium duty trucks which were cabover models.
    Was thinking this engine as it is approximately the same physical sie and only slightly heavier than the 4.3. Was wondering if the original trans and transfer case would work behind this engine as I would like to keep the 4wd.

Obviously there would be some mods to suspension and possibly steering linkage issues. Cooling I dont think would be a problem as the radiator in the lcf is roughly the same core size so could use one of those, proly going to need a slim electric fan but may not.

Has any one heard of anything like this being done with this engine, any info would be great. just looking at the feasabilty of this sort of project.

Thanks.

Hello and welcome to TDP

I am not familiar with the VT274, are you refering to the VT275 that came on scene in 2006 as a medium duty unit, used in small cab forward trucks by Navistar and Ford.

Sounds like a fun project though.

Some searching on the net and some physical measuring are a good place to start.

Right off, I am going to say that the Origianal tranny and T case may not be up to the torque levels of the IH engine. 440 Pounds of torque at around 1800 RPM

If your S10 has the 4L60E auto tranny there are going to be issues with getting the gearbox to handle the torque.

The electronic controls on the truck may also present a challenge too as the enigine most likely has electronics as well.

Although these challenges may be workable the cost could be an issue.

Doing "cross platform" swaps can be interesting for sure.

You are going to need a computer system that can talk to both the engine and the tranny. The throttle controls on the engine must be interfaced with the ECM to get the tranny to work properly as well.

Now if the truck has a stick shift the issues are far less complex.

Good luck and keep us posted on the project.

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Default Rethink

Actually I have rethought this and am now looking at a 6.2 with a 700r4 and at least half ton axles front and rear then i can get away from all computer challenges. Did an S-10 pickup this way with a 350 so shouldnt be much harder with a 6.2 since the two are relatively the same size I believe tho this is all down the road a bit just trying to figure out a plan.

Got to thinking that the S10 blazers like mine use electric clutches in the front diff to lock and unlock the front end but the early 90s half tons used a centrifical type of thing were when power was applied they lock and by reversing in 2wd they unlocked which for this project would be fine either that or a manually locking front difff. an the half ton axles should handle the tourque just fine not really gonna hotrod the thing just looking for mileage and 4wd to get around in snow and ice for winter driving.