Thread: Need advice on starting a 1965 371 that hasn't run for 15 years

Default Need advice on starting a 1965 371 that hasn't run for 15 years

I have a genset that I bought used in 1994 and between then and about 2001 I ran it 3 or 4 times but it hasn't been started since. What we've done is drain the lube oil, replace all 3 oil filters, replace the OEM fuel filter, drain the diesel fuel as best that we could and are in the process of replacing all the fuel hoses as @ 50+ years they were pretty rotten. When we drained the fuel tank the color was pretty dark brown and twice it stopped from crud but we poked a screw driver in the drain and got it flowing. The fuel tank is located low in the frame and removing it doesn't seem feasible, so we wondered what could be done. My thought was installing an after market 3 micron filter after the lift or transfer pump but ahead of everything else in the fuel system. I would add that the lube oil looked good and the last time it ran it was fine. Any thoughts and help is appreciated.

Default Dd 371

I have several suggestions for things to check before attempting to start the DD 371. 1) Make sure that the emergency air shutoff has not been closed and conform that it still works incase the motor starts and then starts to runaway (you could need it). 2) Confirm that the rack is free and that the governor or injectors are not frozen. 3) Install a primer pump if you don't already have one. 4) Connect a temporary gravity feed fuel tank with fresh fuel.

The nice thing about an old DD, if it has air and fuel it will run. Let us know how the project progresses or ask if you have questions.

Good luck
    John
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

Quote Originally Posted by CoyleJR View Post
    Confirm that the rack is free and that the governor or injectors are not frozen.
    Yes! Make sure the fuel rack is free. I started a 671 that sat for a while, and it immediately went to "full throttle!" Very scary. I then learned about the sticking fuel rack on these engines.....

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter