TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2017 - TDP's 21st Anniversary
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > Other Diesel & Truck Related Forums > Diesel Conversions
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Diesel Conversions Convert gas to diesel, or convert to a 6.2/6.5/Duramax/Cummins/Navistar/Isuzu/Perkins/Detroit/or ... diesel engine. Go here to see completed projects, works in progress, share your conversion or ask the experts.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:35 AM

Default 8V71 Jake Brake

Hey all I am new to the website and looking for some quick information. I recently purchased a 1983 Hahn fire engine and it has an 8V71N in it. It does not have jakes on it and I have been looking for a used parts kit. It is a 12 volt system and has an Allison auto transmission. Currently I have found a used parts kit for approximately $2800. That is everything (the jakes, valve covers, fuel lines, exhaust bridges, wiring harness etc.) I am just looking for opinions on that price and if anyone on here might actually have a parts kit themselves or know of somebody that might have one.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Enthusiast

Hi
I've had 8v71's before.
That seems high to me,look for some old truck wrecking yard.I bought a cutoff cab and engine complete for $200 with a running engine that had Jakes on it.A complete AM rebuild kit was under $1000 when i did an inframe on mine.
These were a popular engine,Often refereed to as a 318 Jimmy.They were used a lot in buses.Make sure that whoever installs the Jakes knows how to set up the injectors.One guy i had do some work on my 671 didn't set things up right and it ran away.... .Scariest time i'v ever had working on trucks,it was my fuel truck with about 2500 gallons of fuel in the tank.The engine sounded nice...then began to rev up....and up ..and up..it was sreaming away he was trying to block the air with a piece of plywood and it kept racing away.I grabed a filter wrench and spun the filter off and it died.My face was about a foot away from the block as i'm trying to spin the filter off,all i could think about was a rod coming out at me.
Thomas
90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews
Old 02-04-2015, 05:29 PM
Enthusiast

671'as used to have a flip lever on the blower to stop runaways.

A5150nut
2006 K3500 D/A
94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold
Old 02-05-2015, 04:39 AM

Cool. I have now found a used parts fit for 2000. I know it just seems to be slim pickings around this area.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:14 PM

Question 1975 k30

I am new to this site but I have a 1975 k30 dually I purchased without a engine it is a single cab I want to swap a 4-71 dd into it and a rto910 ten speed. I saw that gophergunner has done this swap but I need more info on what all he had todo to make engine and trans fit. I'm not building a show truck just a weekend haul truck to pull a 35 foot gooseneck and my pulling tractors to the tractor pulls. Any info would be great.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:59 AM

Default tdh 4519 " Smokey "

This is my first post, I'm hoping to gain information on my x Oregon transit bus. 1967 tdh 4519.
Its the 6v-71, automatic v drive.
I found this site by general search, would be great to learn more than I have been able to on my own.
I'm considering installing an auxiliary (2nd) drive train (engine, trans and dually axle)
Out of a 78 winnebago that has a 440.
The Detroit setup is in the rear, I would install the gas setup as a mid engine.
Thoughts anyone?
I'm curious about structure, this bus seems a lot like a unibody vw bus x10
Old 05-28-2016, 04:31 PM

Default locating 4-53t Detroit

Hi, New here. N. Eastern PA What type of equipment or vehicle would have a 4-53t that would be best suited for a 1 ton swap? And what is the average going rate for one in decent running condition? Also possibly a 6v53t, though if I went 6v53t , It would be in a medium duty truck. Thanks in advance for any input. PS I'd be going with an auto, Allison at545, etc
Old 05-31-2016, 10:37 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit 8V92TA View Post
Hi, New here. N. Eastern PA What type of equipment or vehicle would have a 4-53t that would be best suited for a 1 ton swap? And what is the average going rate for one in decent running condition? Also possibly a 6v53t, though if I went 6v53t , It would be in a medium duty truck. Thanks in advance for any input. PS I'd be going with an auto, Allison at545, etc
I ran a 453 for a few years and got real tired of it. It is noisy and not fuel efficient and doesn't have the bottom end torque other engines have.

It does have a very unique sound that I liked (but a little too much of it), but I would never own one again. The 6BT engine seems like a much more capable engine in a smaller vehicle. I would choose one of those any day over the Detroit.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:31 AM

Default reply regarding Cummins vs Detroit

Thanks for the heads up about Detroit drawbacks. I do like Cummins also, however the Detroit swap won't be a daily driver. More or less a unique"toy" if a 6v53t is ridiculously underpowered and fuel thirsty, well I'm not worried about poor fuel economy. Power, yes. Though if a 6v53t is wayyy underpowered for a single axle medium duty, example: International 4700, perhaps a silver 6v92ta would be adequate. With all due respect, I value your input about getting tired of the noise and low end issues, however I can't seem to see why a 6v92ta wouldn't be adequate? Do I need to step up to a 8v92ta? Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:56 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit 8V92TA View Post
Thanks for the heads up about Detroit drawbacks. I do like Cummins also, however the Detroit swap won't be a daily driver. More or less a unique"toy" if a 6v53t is ridiculously underpowered and fuel thirsty, well I'm not worried about poor fuel economy. Power, yes. Though if a 6v53t is wayyy underpowered for a single axle medium duty, example: International 4700, perhaps a silver 6v92ta would be adequate. With all due respect, I value your input about getting tired of the noise and low end issues, however I can't seem to see why a 6v92ta wouldn't be adequate? Do I need to step up to a 8v92ta? Thanks again.
The silver 6v92 is a very potent (and heavy) engine. I am guessing you will not be disappointed with it. With nearly 75% more displacement than the 6v53, the two engines aren't really comparable other than the number of cylinders.