TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2017 - TDP's 21st Anniversary
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > Other Diesel & Truck Related Forums > Diesel Conversions
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Diesel Conversions Convert gas to diesel, or convert to a 6.2/6.5/Duramax/Cummins/Navistar/Isuzu/Perkins/Detroit/or ... diesel engine. Go here to see completed projects, works in progress, share your conversion or ask the experts.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Power View Post
The 700R4 can be built to shift without electric/electronic control - that's what I did for my 6.2L diesel. Still, the 700 would require a throttle-valve (TV) cable and bracket. A 4L80-E would require a TCM, harness, engine speed sensor and TPS (figure about $1k beyond the cost of the trans).

If on a tight budget, and if you wanted to use a TH400, you could post an ad in the classified ad section for a VRV/vac pump. Buying used would be less expensive than new.

Jim
I now have the VRV/Vac Pump, so now my question is how do I change up the governor and shift points?
Old 01-22-2009, 12:13 AM

what about a 5 speed i noticed diesels clutches are all different numbers from gas motors, even when they dont have the dual mass flywheel, is there anyway to reuse a gas clutch/flywheel? are the crankshaft patterns the same where your flywheel/flexplate bolts on?
Old 03-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle41005 View Post
what about a 5 speed i noticed diesels clutches are all different numbers from gas motors, even when they dont have the dual mass flywheel, is there anyway to reuse a gas clutch/flywheel? are the crankshaft patterns the same where your flywheel/flexplate bolts on?
The diesel flywheels, clutches and pressure plates are specific to the diesels. Gas versions won't work.

Jim
Old 10-16-2011, 11:33 AM

Default swapped 454 for 6.2

i cant seem to get it started now that its in my one ton
Old 10-17-2011, 12:33 PM

finally got it runnin but its kinda rigged.i still need to find the power steering brackets.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Power View Post
The diesel flywheels, clutches and pressure plates are specific to the diesels. Gas versions won't work.

Jim
the clutchpak off 454 is the same as 6.2.the flywheel is different but the clutchpak is the same part number.at least thy are on a 4 spd
Old 11-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Got Rock

Default C ya

are one and two peice rear mains the same as far as the flywheel

mark
Old 11-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyman30 View Post
the clutchpak off 454 is the same as 6.2.the flywheel is different but the clutchpak is the same part number.at least thy are on a 4 spd
The clutch disc used with the dual-mass diesel flywheel does not have any internal springs or dampers. The clutch disc used with the newer single-mass diesel flywheel incorporates a series of springs/dampers.

So.... you have to be sure what flywheel you have before ordering/installing a replacement clutch disc.

Quote:
are one and two peice rear mains the same as far as the flywheel

mark
The same flywheel/flexplate can be used on either rear main seal engine.

Jim
Old 10-25-2012, 03:48 PM

I have a 1990 Chevy K2500 with a 6.5 V8 Turbo Diesel in it. I was woundering what kind of motor(s) I could swap out and also what else I would have to swap for the gas motor. And could I keep the turbo for the gas.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Enthusiast

Hi
Any GM truck engine will fit,250 6cly,283-400 small block,or 454 big block.
You will have to go to a carb and distributor.Unless you want to swap in the wiring harness from a gas truck of the same vintage.If you have an auto trans you will have to change the tourge converter.And no you can't keep the turbo from the diesel and use it on the gas.
You would be further ahead to replace the diesel engine.You say it's a 90?
If so someone has already replaced the engine,it would have come with a 6.2 mechanical injected,and no turbo.
Whats wrong with the engine? Lots of help here if you want to fix it.
Thomas
90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews