TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2017 - TDP's 21st Anniversary
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > Other Diesel & Truck Related Forums > Diesel Conversions
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Diesel Conversions Convert gas to diesel, or convert to a 6.2/6.5/Duramax/Cummins/Navistar/Isuzu/Perkins/Detroit/or ... diesel engine. Go here to see completed projects, works in progress, share your conversion or ask the experts.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Enthusiast

I really appericate the help, and i know im goin to have to detune it for a while. Im going to get in running so it came make it though winter and im going to look for a allison or a six manually next summer. I haven't decided yet if im going to run a billet tail shaft like suncoast and apapt to my tcase, or run a devoriced tcase. Now could you explain more about the van tcm. Would it be better to buy the van tcm then use a stand alone controller? Then would i have to get a van engine harness and tranny harness? Another question would you run 5in exhaust or 4in exhaust? Could you pm Mike L number and infromation please? i really do apperciate all your guys input.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Enthusiast

4" exhaust is more than enough to support upwards of 500-600HP in a DURAMAX. The VAN TCM was meant for a 4L80E transmission behind the DURAMAX, but I don't think you can get a calibration for the T42 TCM to work with an LB7 engine. Also EFILIVE will most likely be a must for you since you are going with a NON-GM factory combo. The ECM will be looking for feedback from the TCM if it has a calibration in it for an ALLISON, and if it doesn't see it the engine WILL go into limp mode which will give you 0 boost and a 2000RPM limit. You will have to get a manual transmission calibration and then have to tweak the idle fuel tables so it doesn't run away on you when you drop it in gear. Since you are using an 01, you are pretty well limited to 01 for options. The van TCM was an option in 06, but GM changed alot of things in 06. I know you are in a hurry to get this done, but the ALLISON will simplify almost all of the custom tuning needs that you will incure if you run the 4L80E. What is so special about your current transfer case? It should be a BORG WARNER 13?? series I would think since it's mated up to a 4L80E. I would go with the ALLISON/261 combo and then go with a fixed yoke for the front driveshaft and be done with it. This will eliminate the need for custom tuning, and it would be a combo that the GM software will work with as stock.

I'm not trying to be a buzzkil, but I think you're setting yourself up for a major breakdown with your current combo. And it is not any fun at all to have to go back in and re-do part of your swap.

I tried to PM you his number, but it says that I can't. Type "INGLEWOOD TRANSMISSION" into most any search engine and it will bring you to his website.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Enthusiast

well since im already sold mine tranny. would you know anyone that has a allison for sale. I have like 4,000 to spend which i was goin to use it on the 4l80e. i already have the tcm for a 5speed tranny.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Where there's smoke.... There's fire!

Thumbs up

I don't really know much about the newer trucks, but the tranny listed here seems to be a pretty good deal for your situation. Especially because it comes with the TC and whatnot.
Rebuilt engine 2/10 18:1 pistons, forged crank, Fluidamper, dsg gear drive timing, high flow oil pump, rebuilt GM8, turbomaster, Kennedy ECM, 4" exhaust, wrapped cross-over and down pipe, '98+ cooling, Duramax fan, aftermarket oil cooler and hoses
Rebuilt tranny 2/10
Old 10-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the link i will keep my eye on it.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Enthusiast

Alright guys i have been doin some more research on my transmission issue. I know im not goin to use a 4l80e, i thought about using a nv4500 b/c it will bolt right up to my borg warner 4470, but i called south bend today to see if i could get a clutch made but they said the input shaft was to short to use with the duramax flywheel. So i thought about using a zf-6 speed tranny but i dont know if it will bolt up to my borg warner 4470. The only reason i want to use my oringal tcase is it has sum heavy duty custom shift linkage and its a manual tcase, it also has a pto brake on the rear of it that is attached to my ebrake. Also the borg warner tcase is cocked way down compared to a allison and 263 tcase. I think if i use a allison and stock t case i think it will mess with my front driveline angle. I dont know if you guys can tell in the pic but my truck sits up really high. It has 285 70 19.5s on it. So does any one know what a borg warner 4470 fit on and if i could get any adapters maybe.
o by the way the tcase has 32 spline input.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast

Call ADVANCED ADAPTERS, if anybody can couple it to the ALLISON, they can.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Enthusiast

I don't know where you're located, but here is a good used 02 ALLISON I found in NEBRASKA.

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/...ad.php?t=16562
Old 10-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Enthusiast

I already called advance adapters they said they couldn't make one to the allison or the zf6. They sinch my tcase has a 32 input spline and the allison and zf6 has a 29 spline they couldnt make a stub shaft to adapt that. Which doesn't make since it dont sound that hard just a space and a stub shaft but o well. My transfer case has the excact bolt pattern as the allison and zf6.

btw I live in ohio
Old 10-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Enthusiast

They should make a 29 to 32 stub shaft and then you could get a spacer to go in between the trans and case. Or go with a 261 floor shift transfer case with the fixed yoke kit for the front driveshaft and add in one of the ADVANCED ADAPTERS transfer case clocking ring kits and rotate the transfer case down to where you want it.