TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2017 - TDP's 21st Anniversary
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > Other Diesel & Truck Related Forums > Diesel Conversions
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Diesel Conversions Convert gas to diesel, or convert to a 6.2/6.5/Duramax/Cummins/Navistar/Isuzu/Perkins/Detroit/or ... diesel engine. Go here to see completed projects, works in progress, share your conversion or ask the experts.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:34 PM
Enthusiast

Default 94 lb7 K1500 conversion

94 lb7 k1500
I've finally decided to dive in.
I seized the original 5.7L 350 in my 1994 Chevy 1500 4wd a couple months ago and have been debating what to do with it since.

This was my first truck. I'll keep it forever, and it will be my son's first truck in about 14 years.
It has a 4L60E, I believe.
I plan on solid axle swapping soon also, 3/4 ton front and back.

I spent 1000$ last year on vortec heads, push rods, rocker arms, ignition, gaskets, and TBI to vortec head conversion intake manifold, all brand new (except heads- they were reworked.)

Well just recently I changed my mind even i saw a local ad on Craigslist.
I've always had the dream of swapping a 4 or 6bt in, but never found one.

I found am lb7 out of a 2003 Silverado.
The guy who I picked it up from owns a bada$s LARGE heavy equipment shop. There were semis and rat rods all over the place.
This made me feel better about dropping 2300$ on an engine that I did not see run.

He bought the donor truck running, and pulled the 6.6L out, as well as the Allison transmission, ECU, TCU, engine bay fuse box, and the full engine wiring harness. he did this with the intentions of puting the engine in a rollback truck but said hewas not able to find the time.
The transfer case is sitting in the donor behind his shop still, available.
He offered ot trade me for about 900$ of chevy 350.. What are these t-cases worth in good codition?

the allison that is with the engine is no good.. where is a good place to buy a remanned one from that offers a core charge?

I got the engine home, went to harbor freight, got a 2 ton picker and got it set in the garage.
Then I moved the truck in the garage, after cleaning my work area real good of course..

a couple friends offered to help and we got to it and got the whole front clip off and engine+transmission out.

i'm working on pulling the electrical minus the BCM, and degreasing the frame to clean up from the long term-oil build up from the leaking 5.7L 350. lol
Kenny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170719-215842.jpg (9.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20170721_124444.jpg (98.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20170721_125324.jpg (98.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170721_145938_692.jpg (98.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170721_185241_188.jpg (97.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-27-2017, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Arrow

I'd recommend getting the complete 2003 truck if it's available. There'll be lots of small parts in it that will reduce the cost of conversion.

Transmissions... www.kennedydiesel.com will help you. The 2003 transfer case will be needed if your truck is a 4x4.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:07 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Power View Post
I'd recommend getting the complete 2003 truck if it's available. There'll be lots of small parts in it that will reduce the cost of conversion.

Transmissions... www.kennedydiesel.com will help you. The 2003 transfer case will be needed if your truck is a 4x4.
I'll check out the link for the transmissions, thank you!

As for the transfer case.. Is there no chance that I can use the one that Is still mounted in the truck?
It works good, and was mounted to the 4L60E, but separated before I got engine/trans out.

It looks like it will bolt up, I'm not so much asking if it will give me good 4x4 use as much as I'm asking if it will even allow the truck to be complete and moveable untill a different tcase can me purchased.
It uses a manual shift lever obviously, and I know I would shred it quick if abused..

The full truck is available and the guys says he will let me pick through it as I go. But buying the entire truck is not an option with finances being considered.
Before you tell me this will cost crazy amounts of money and can't be done without, I understand that, I'm prepared for that, just not all at once.
I'll score parts paycheck by paycheck.
I've included some more pics!
Kenny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170723_131210.jpg (91.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20170725_081335.jpg (99.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20170725_092342.jpg (101.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20170725_110217.jpg (96.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170725_120052_250.jpg (99.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-27-2017, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Arrow

Your current NV241 transfer case is not compatible with the Allison transmission. Bolt patterns are one thing. In/Out shafts/splines are another. You could "convert" one to fit the other, but the conversion will likely cost as much or more than sourcing the correct NV261XHD TC.
dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com
Old 07-27-2017, 09:31 PM
Enthusiast

I'm getting the donor truck Monday!!

I lucked out and got to deal with good people who want to see this project move along!
Otherwise, I would have had to proceed one paycheck at a time..

Now I have lots of things I need! The transfer case is included, and some of the other things I'm thinking I'll be able to use
-fuel tank
-rear axle
-accel pedal
-entire dash
-intercooler (if it fits)
And much more
Kenny
Old 07-28-2017, 06:09 AM
Enthusiast

Kenny,
You say the Allison is no good. What is wrong with it. They are pretty much bullet proof. Maybe it just needs a refresh and then you'd have the whole package!
Talk to "More Power". He's done this conversion and is the master!
Dave
Member #242
Dave's Diesels:
Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
'97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
'02 GMC
Old 07-28-2017, 12:36 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDavy View Post
Kenny,
You say the Allison is no good. What is wrong with it. They are pretty much bullet proof. Maybe it just needs a refresh and then you'd have the whole package!
Talk to "More Power". He's done this conversion and is the master!
Dave

I'm not exactly sure what is wrong with it. The guy that I got it from told me that he had pulled a part out of it also, I will ask him exactly what it was and tm what the symptoms were of transmission failure.
From there I will decide weather I'm look at a rebuild with upgraded parts (best option) or if I need to find a used or remanned one.
I assume if I am missing parts I may be no good for a core charge.. But I could be wrong.

Today I am dropping the transfer case. The deal is is I give him everything out of the red truck, engine, transmission, tcase, hedders, exhaust, rear axle, whole engine harness, computer, motorvation Eprom, and all the parts that I have to rebuild the 5.7l, which includes reworked vortec heads, rocker arms, push rods, edlebrock vortec to tbi manifold, msd Ignition.. Oh and I'm throwing in my system that was in the red truck too. There are 16 JL W3 8s in a wall..
Alllll forr the donor truck!
There's no turning back now 😁

Also- is there a limit of attachments that I can upload??
Kenny
-08 f150
Old 07-28-2017, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoff6 View Post

Also- is there a limit of attachments that I can upload??
Kenny
Yes, for now. After you've been around a while, and interact more, you'll be allowed more features and storage space. Keep going at your rate and it won't be long at all.
dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com
Old 08-01-2017, 04:32 PM
Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
Yes, for now. After you've been around a while, and interact more, you'll be allowed more features and storage space. Keep going at your rate and it won't be long at all.
Oh I see!

I picked up the donor truck today, there's lots of work to be done.
It didn't come with a cab or bed, just the rolling chassis.

I've got the bed taken off of the half ton, as well as exhaust, transfer case and everything.
All that is still connected is the front suspension + axle and the cab.
The rear axle is still on, but I plan on swapping the 3/4 ton axle into it today. It seems like it will fit perfect, just move the springs. There's less than a half inch difference between the 3/4 ton and 1/2 ton mounts, so with the play in the shackles Im hoping it will fit.

The donor truck was a 4 door short bed.. And I know that it's an option to swap the cab onto the 3/4 ton frame but that seems like a huge pita.. Cutting the frame and all that.. Then fitting cab mounts..

I plan on swapping a Dana 60 in, but for now I'm going to leave the half ton front.
If it had been fairly easy, I wanted to swap the 3/4 ton front suspension and diff and everything into it, but that doesn't seem like it will work either.
So I get to go with my original plan! solid axle swap.

I'll post some more so that I can post pictures...
It's no fun without pictures 👎
-08 f150
Old 08-03-2017, 05:07 AM
Enthusiast

Kenny,
I'm concerned that the cab didn't come with the donor truck. I thought you'd need the wiring harness and dash. (I really don't know what I'm talking about, just what I think I remember reading here on "the page".)
Dave
Member #242
Dave's Diesels:
Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
'97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
'02 GMC